Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1544 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: May 8, 2014 10:26 AM by snortman RSS
snortman Pro 69 posts since
May 22, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 25, 2014 5:44 PM

Any runners out there do yoga?

I've been reading about doing yoga stretches to lengthen leg muscles. Any other runners out there that do yoga and have any tips?

Thanks.

• Julie Ann Hackett Legend 228 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2. Apr 30, 2014 11:50 AM (in response to snortman)

I think any kind of yoga is beneficial to runners.  When I did Hatha yoga at a yoga studio there were always a handful of runners in the classes.  I really like yin yoga which is where you hold a pose for a few minutes to get a deep stretch but its a personal preference.  There are lots of free videos on you tube or check out some videos from the library if you don't want to invest in going to a studio (depending on where you live it can get pricey).  I try to do at least an hour of yoga on my rest day to stretch everything out.

• Princess Lee-ah Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 20, 2012
    4. May 7, 2014 10:00 AM (in response to snortman)

I am a beginning runner and I also love yoga.  I do MUCH better running if I do at least some yoga on my off days.  I think half an hour is enough time to get the benefits you're looking for andI agree with Julie Ann who suggested yin yoga.  It is good for working out the kinks and relaxing/stretching the leg muscles.

If you have never done yoga before I would suggest going to a couple of classes just so you can learn how your body should feel in the basic poses. A good teacher will correct your alignment and also show you modifications if a particular pose is especially difficult.  Keep in mind that it's ok to feel discomfort but not ok to feel pain!  Most gyms/studios will let you pay by the class so you don't have to commit to a long-term membership.

I found an app that I really like for the iPhone and iPad called Yoga Studio.  It has several pre-programmed sequences broken up by level (beginner, intermediate, advanced), length of time, and what you want to accomplish (flexibility, balance, etc.)  You can also select your favorite poses and create your own sequence - it will automatically fill in the gaps to make sure you make the right transition between poses.  I think the app was around $5.99 but I don't remember off hand.

Good luck!

• ERazsurf Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 28, 2009
    5. May 7, 2014 10:47 AM (in response to snortman)

I'm an active runner (also do some tri's) and a part time yoga instructor.  I hate to give away competitive secrets but yoga will improve your running performance: speed, endurance, recovery and injury prevention.  Like any activity you will get back from it what you put in - I'd recommend taking at least 3 classes per week to see the results.  If you are a regular runner you are probably over using certain muscles and under using others which is a recipe for injury and pain.  Yoga will help even out this imbalance and provide greater strength for the long term.

Try many types.  There are so many misconceptions about yoga - most common I hear: "I tried yoga once and didn't like it." That's similar to saying "I tried exercise once and didn't like it"

There are thousands of styles of yoga - you can find one that matches your interests, abilities, etc.  If you are new I urge you to try different studios and different types of classes with an open mind and discover what works for you.  Keep in mind that Rome wasn't built in a day and you'll need to learn yoga (you wouldn't expect to play Wimbeldon after your first tennis lesson) but it's well worth the time/effort

• Bikram is available everywhere and great for building leg strength and endurance - but many are turned off by the heat (which is great training for runners). 
    • Hatha/Vinyasa is probably most accessible for newbies - start in a level 1-2 class but talk to the instructor about your goals and what you are looking for
  • KHenlay Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 12, 2008
    6. May 7, 2014 12:47 PM (in response to snortman)

YES! I've done 5 marathons, and too many halfs to count and I credit hot yoga with REALLY helping me stretch. Wish I had discovered it prior to completing my last one.  I swear, my pace is faster the next day and I sleep better at night after a solid hot yoga session. So I completely agree with ERazsurf, though I don't have anything other than personal experience.  It really helps reach all muscles, especially considering the repeitive nature of running (again, completely agree with ERazsurf). If you can't spare the time on a regular basis, I recommend taking at least 1 beginner to class to learn the proper positions. If regular yoga doesn't seem challengning enough for you (it didn't for me), I suggest hot yoga. Once you have good form (which is critical for the benefits), try: http://www.runnersworld.com/runners-world-yoga-center

I just discovered this a few weeks ago and will do a video when I don't have time to make it to class or just feel really tight. It's also really fun to feel your body learn new moves...I just did a hand stand for the first time last night! I have also seen greater strength in my legs and behind without the bulk since starting yoga. Hope this helps!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...