Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

430 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: May 18, 2014 9:38 PM by FrenchFit RSS
mbrady121 Rookie 1 posts since
Apr 14, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

May 1, 2014 6:12 PM

Treadmill Running - Knee Lock

I have been running on a treadmill for the past few months. Recently, I have experienced my right knee stiffen and almost lock while running. It causes me to stumble a little, but I'm able to keep my pace. Afterwards, my calves and ankle are sore. I've been able to run 5+ miles on the treadmill before, but now I'm struggling to conistantly get to 4 or 5. I had surgery on that knee for a dislocation in 1999 and then had a lateral release in 2006. Is there anything I can do to help me be able to run on a treadmill?

• gomergo Rookie 2 posts since
    May 8, 2014
    1. May 8, 2014 6:16 PM (in response to mbrady121)

Not sure why it is happening but I'd incorporate stretches and strength training (especially quads/gluts/hamstrings) to keep your knee strong. Too many things can throw off our knee. I had hip aches and doing Yoga specific stretches made a huge difference...and I am not the YOGA type (if there is one). I just found that the stretching was VERY beneficial.

• FrenchFit Rookie 3 posts since
    May 18, 2014
    2. May 18, 2014 9:38 PM (in response to mbrady121)

Since's it is only in one knee it sounds like a physical problem. Besides the advice above, think about cross training.  My experience has been that cycling/spinning at high cadence really stablizes the knees, seems to encourage me to run faster and smoother.  Aggressive hiking seems to give my hips and gluts a killer work-out.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points