Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

319600 Views 1,936 Replies Latest reply: Aug 27, 2014 6:32 AM by Banishing-Bertha Go to original post 1 ... 125 126 127 128 129 130 Previous Next
  • KathleenEdwards3 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 23, 2013
    Currently Being Moderated
    1,890. May 7, 2014 7:14 AM (in response to disneygal2)
    Are you over fifty and doing the C25k?

Well I am 61 and have been walking 5K's for a couple of years after my recovery from breast cancer.  I started the C25K 3 weeks ago and my goal is to run a 5K on July 4th.  I'm doing 5 - 5K's in April but doing intervals.  I have signed up for the Disney 10K in January so I need to get my time down to 16 minute pace.

Kathleen E.

Grove City, OH

• lawiant Rookie 6 posts since
    Jul 26, 2012
    1,891. May 7, 2014 12:26 PM (in response to disneygal2)

I am responding to this thread many years after the original post, and I have enjoyed reading everyone's experiences . I live in the mountains of NE GA.  I did my first 5k on a whim for my 50th birthday in 2011.  I was active and kind of in shape, but not as good as I thought!  The mental challenge of running is what has kept me doing it, and the satisfaction of obtaining my personal goals.  The first year 5K's were so tough, but I was elated the first time I was able to jog the whole distance.  Then it was motivating as my times started to getting better, eventually consistant 28-29 minutes - not the fastest, but I'm happy with it. Since that first run in 2011, I have done MANY 5k's, 10K's, and a few half marathons (my best time being 2:17:00) .  The halfs are actually my favorite now.  I have also recently even taken up trail running.  

My running is not about being faster than anyone else, faster than a previous time, or awards, etc.  For me running (or jogging, as I do) is about feeling good about myself, being proud of myself and my accomplishments, and knowing I gave 100% for that particular run on that particuar day. That may be a little selfish, but running is a self-centered activity for the most part.  And I'm thankful for my family and friends who put up with my training and runs, although some of them really don't understand.  Being 50+ actually makes it all a little sweeter, and by doing it slow, steady and carefully, I hope to do this for many years to come!

• Eduardo_Dominguez Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 11, 2014
    1,892. May 9, 2014 9:32 AM (in response to disneygal2)

I turned 55 this April but started running in January without a structured plan. Needless to say I got injured and was very discouraged. On a day before my birthday, April 11, I downloaded C25K app and started walking/jogging. The program helped me ease into jogging. I did dynamic stretching before my workouts and static stretching afterwards. This helped me to prevent injuries. I'm on week 5 and have been jogging more and walking less. I'm averaging a 10-11 minute mile. I have learned to control my breathing using the 3-3 method and "belly breathing". I plan to run my first 5k wirth obstacles on May 18 and then doing a flat 5k on June 14. My goal is to run a 10k (7 mile bridge) in Key West next year!

• shipo Legend 491 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    1,893. May 9, 2014 10:19 AM (in response to disneygal2)
    Re: Are you over fifty and doing the C25k?

Wow, congratulations to all y'all fifty-plusers who've recently picked up the C25K program. 

While I've never done a C25K program per-se, I am well over 50 and returned to running in my mid 50s following a six year layoff due to a badly broken leg (the surgeon said I'd walk with a limp for the rest of my life and never run again).  With that said, I coach a number of "seasoned" (not old, just older than kids) individuals on my company running team, and have several tidbits of advice which will help y'all keep on track by not getting injured and frustrated:

• When the C25K program says, "Run", do so slowly; slowly as in just a bit faster than a fast walk.  Folks who "run" invariably get injured.
    • Do not embellish; a classic case would be to say, work some hills or stairs or bleachers into the routine in addition to the plan itself.  Doing so will dramatically raise your risk of injury.
    • Rest!  If the program says to take a day off, take the day off; rest and recovery are as important as exercise.
    • Repeat weeks as necessary.  If you've just finished say, Week 3, and Week 4 looks too daunting, no worries, do Week 3 again, and repeat it as often as necessary until you gain the strength, endurance, and/or confidence to tackle Week 4.
    • Do not stretch prior to a run; doing so can not only cause injury, it can also impact your ability to finish your workout.
    • Once finished with the C25K program, you've just started; run a race or two, develop a weekly running routine, and if you're hankering for a greater challenge, look for a 5K to 10K graduation routine.
    • If on any given day you're feeling frisky, resist the temptation to run significantly faster than normal (a bit faster is okay); instead, run further.  Once you've reached a threshold of say 20 miles per week for a couple of months, then you can start thinking about speeding things up.
    • Avoid falling into the TFFFS (Too Fast, too Far, too Frequently, too Soon) trap; remember, Rome wasn't built in a day and runners aren't either.
    • Some folks think that because they do lots of other types of exercise, they can get into running in a short period of time.  The fact is, nothing prepares a human body for enduring the rigors of running like, running.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
  • justamaniac Legend 200 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    1,894. May 9, 2014 3:17 PM (in response to shipo)
    Re: Are you over fifty and doing the C25k?

In the spirit of starting to run when over 50, I thought I'd share my own experience:  I'm 57 now, started running at 52, all on my own - no trainers, coaches or running group. I just thought that running would be a good thing to do from a cardio-vascular perspective... and so I charged into it.  I struggled mightily, but two years later I ran my first marathon. And following that first marathon I had so much over-exuberance that I had this insane idea that if I could run one marathon, why not two in one year?  So I started training and running and just went crazy about getting conditioned - and wound up repeatedly hurting myself. But instead of letting myself fully heal, as soon as most of the pain from what ever it was that I injured was gone, I'd be back on the road or trail again - and sure enough, I'd get injured again. I literally ricocheted from one injury to another. My net result was that I didn't run any marathons that year (2012) and the two HM's that I did run were horrible and not fun at all. So I vowed to manage my "exuberance" and as a result 2013 was much better running year.

The points that shipo made are right on...  don't over-do it.  Watch your pace and your growth.  It is way more fun to run when nothing hurts!!

-bill

http://runningthrutime.blogspot.com

• PaulNewell3 Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 12, 2014
    1,895. May 14, 2014 1:44 PM (in response to disneygal2)

Finished C25K with the Running Through Redlands 5K  I had just lost 50 pounds and am on for an additional 50lbs goal. My present "goal" is 5 5ks within 60 days and then start training for c210K...and on from there.

The toughest part is dealing with the knees and giving them the rest they need between runs. This stuff is addicting!

• Pipper99 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 11, 2012
    1,896. May 19, 2014 9:42 AM (in response to shipo)

Thanks so much, shipo. This was the info that I've been looking for.

• JudySankey Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 20, 2013
    1,897. May 20, 2014 2:49 PM (in response to disneygal2)

Yes I am 58 and just ran my first 5k....it took me an hour.....I was not as prepared as I thought. the course was mainly up high from the start....I always practiced with a hill in the middle or at the end.....so doing all hills was a challenged. I have so much more energy after a power walk and jog....loving every time I have the opportunity to get out there......I am trying a 5k each month for the rest of the year.   Helping me to lose inches as well.   thanks for your encouragement and help!

• shipo Legend 491 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    1,898. May 20, 2014 3:51 PM (in response to JudySankey)

Hey Judy, congratulations on your first 5K, quite the accomplishment for a 58 year old (from a 57 year old). 

Losing inches is the best way to look at things; the scale may go down, the scale may stop moving, hell, the scale may even go back up from time-to-time, but as long as you're losing inches, it's all good. 

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
  • EmilyAndrews23 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 2, 2014
    1,899. May 21, 2014 2:25 PM (in response to Gibbs25)

I am not sure about your phone and what will work. I have an I phone and I use Map My Run and Nike Run. Both will allow  your music to play and play coaching remarks over the music. Love to run to music! So glad to have found this thread. I just started running 1 1/2 years ago at the age of 59. I had always walked for exercise but never run. It is very inspiring and helpful to read the comments!

• picturelady5 Amateur 9 posts since
    Mar 29, 2014
    1,900. May 22, 2014 6:18 PM (in response to JudySankey)

Congratulations on completing your first 5km.  I am doing my first 5km run on the 24th and feeling a bit nervous.  I am 56 and just started running outdoors at the beginning of April.

• judi811 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 9, 2014
    1,901. Jul 9, 2014 10:36 PM (in response to disneygal2)

I will soon be turning 64. I started running (more of a jog actually) just a little over 4 months ago. I used a different program but had to modify it to work for me. I passed over the C25K because the jump in run times was just too much for me. Essentially, I have steadily increased my run times by 1 min each week. I still keep the 1 min walk time inbetween runs and repeat 4 times. This slowly increases my endurance and total distance. This week I am at 12 minute runs. The 12 min run is just slightly less than 1 mile running with no stop. I did my first 5K when I was only able to run 3 minutes. Now that was a challenge! My second 5K was at 8 minute runs and I finished in 36 minutes.My daughter and I have our next 5K in Sept, and are planning ones in Oct and Nov. Having her to run the 5K's with and share our training run experience is a huge help. (can't train together due to distance). Like others here, I am focused on building endurance, speed can happen later. The truth is, I still HATE running! That "addiction" or "high" has not happened for me. So, I set 5K runs to keep a goal (and an obvious reason) in front of me. And I buy cute things to run in to make it more fun and if I don't run I will feel quilty! Mostly, I have created a training schedule that allows me to consistently feel successful. (I am the kind of person that if I am not going to win, I have no interest in playing the game.)

• OldSteve Amateur 21 posts since
    Jul 12, 2014
    1,902. Jul 12, 2014 6:17 PM (in response to disneygal2)

WOW, I thought I was crazy to even consider taking up running for the very first time in my life....at age 51. I see that I'm far from being alone. After reading a couple of pages in this thread, the wife and I start the C25K tomorrow!

We recently returned to the gym after moving earlier this year and I have already set a short term goal for myself. To loose 20 to 30 pounds and being able to run 1.5 miles in 15 minutes. A friend of mine recommended the C25K program today and I found this site. Right now my best time at the 1.5 mile is 27 minutes, so I have some work to do. I've never been a runner before but I realised this past week that I cannot meet my goal without running. I was already planning to modify my workout routine to include some running and this plan looks like what I was already thinking about. There's no better time then the present to start! And like Judi811 above said....I HATE RUNNING!

• OldSteve Amateur 21 posts since
    Jul 12, 2014
    1,903. Jul 13, 2014 3:50 PM (in response to OldSteve)

Day one complete.....oh crap! But only had to skip one running segment, so for me it was a success!

Anyone know of some good iphone apps to track distance that will work along side the c25k app?

• justamaniac Legend 200 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    1,904. Jul 14, 2014 6:22 PM (in response to OldSteve)

In response to your previous post first, it took me a long time before I liked running... Now I don't know how I lived without it... You'll see!

To answer you most recent post, I use RunKeeper (yes there is a free version). Lots of options, more than I could ever use, but it works.  I've been using it for 4 years or so.

Keep at it, you won't regret it -- really!

-b

Http://runningthrutime.blogspot.com

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...