Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1460 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: May 14, 2014 5:38 AM by JFA02
gawd Pro 174 posts since
Mar 9, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 10, 2010 1:23 PM

HELP! training shoe dilema!

Hi, Im pretty new to running, Iv done a bit years ago and always found it a real struggle feeling like I had hardly any coordination and was flat footed.  Due to health reasons and this 'struggle' the running was abandoned.  On a fairly recent trip to the podiatrist for something I discovered I was 'hypermobile' and so was given insoles with a good size arch on them.  These help a lot but they are that horrible vinyl.....not practical for running, so anyway, I went to the sports shop and asked about running shoes that had a good supportive arch that would be suitable for road and trail running, they recomended a pair of Asics Gel's and told me they were a stability shoe, also recomended that I wear 'gel arches' so I tried them on with the arches and they felt really good apart from my toe was too close to the shoe, I was thinking of ordering a pair online a half size bigger but my other foot is a half-size smaller....so what should I do?  Any recomendations?  The Runner's World shoe finder recomended Asics Gel's too. HELP! A good pair would help so much and I have had a knee injury in the past too so want to avoid further injury if poss....  I dont want to spend too much either as Im just beginning again.  Any help and advice appreciated!

• jjksutton Pro 52 posts since
    Feb 20, 2010
    1. Mar 10, 2010 3:00 PM (in response to gawd)
    Re: HELP! training shoe dilema!

I think the online shoe finders are an OK place to begin scoping your search for shoes, but buying a pair online that you have no prior experience with could end up costing you more in the long run; say if they just don't suit you but the online retailer won't take them back (I don't know what shoe return policies are for online stores).

It's also hard to tell how a pair of shoes will really work for you by wearing them around the store for 5 minutes.  If you can find a local store that has a policy that allows you to return shoes within 30 days or so, that gives you a great chance to get a good amount of time running in them to see how they work for you. 

I know what kind of shoes work for me, but I went through 3 pairs going back to the store before I found the one that worked best when I bought my last pair.  My wife found shoes she liked on her second pair.

Good luck finding the pair that works best for you.  With all the different kinds of shoes that are out there right now there's definitely at least one pair you'll love...it just may take a little trial and error to find them.

You also don't have to spend a lot of money.  My last pair cost $50 (previous season's model on clearance). 

• Memaw56 Rookie 7 posts since
    Mar 2, 2010
    3. Mar 12, 2010 2:55 AM (in response to jjksutton)

Just what I was looking for! I am starting this week towards a healthier lifestyle and wanted the right shoes. I have always liked ASICS and this confirmed my shoe of choice!

• JFA02 Rookie 4 posts since
    Oct 22, 2009
    4. May 14, 2014 5:14 AM (in response to Memaw56)

I have a pair of ASICS. I love them 1st professional running shoes I ever bought. A little expensive but well worth it. After my 1st 10K in them my feet still felt like I was fresh and ready to go again. Wish the rest of my body would go along with that. LOL....

• JFA02 Rookie 4 posts since
    Oct 22, 2009
    5. May 14, 2014 5:38 AM (in response to gawd)

I would go to a few running stores and try some on. See what feels best to you. Most of the running stores in my area have kids working there so the advice is not always the greatest. After you find a pair you like look them up on line and read what other runners say about them. After that you can shop price on line for the pair you like.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points