Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2144599 Views 11,397 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2014 7:32 PM by lenzlaw RSS Go to original post 1 ... 755 756 757 758 759 760 Previous Next
  • JettaTheHut Rookie 1 posts since
    May 14, 2014
    Currently Being Moderated
    11,340. May 14, 2014 3:55 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Wanted  to chime in and say hi! I'm a 200+ runner, been running and doing triathlons for 6 years off and on.

I'm 6'2" and right now 243lbs. I run 4-6 days a week in prep for a full marathon in November.

I've done a half dozens sprint Tri's and a double triathlon. I've raced a bunch of 5ks and a few 10ks and even did a half marathon. Every single race I was over 200lbs.

I'm really a bike rider I like doing century rides and 50 milers with my daughter. That's my passion!

I'm doing the Rock and roll marathon in Savannah Ga. In Nov. and then an UltraMarathon (50k) next March.

Fat and Fast, is my motto.

So there is my long winded Hello!

• shipo Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    11,341. May 14, 2014 6:31 PM (in response to BadYogi)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hey Yogi,

Here's some advice from a (formerly) "big" (as in heavy) guy,  I too am 57, I'm only 5' 8", and a year ago I was somewhere north of 250 pounds.  Now, 2,423 miles later I'm down to ~190 and recently ran a sub 22:00 5K.

I told you the above to underscore the few items of advice I'm going to offer about what it takes to make that kind of progress.

• If you can, run on dirt, grass, or sand; avoid pavement wherever and whenever possible.
    • Don't fall into the TFFFS trap (Too Fast, too far, too Frequently, too Soon), g-r-a-d-u-a-l-l-y work your way into a running routine, making sure you take plenty of time for rest.
    • If on any given day you feel stronger than usual, resist the temptation to run faster, run further instead.
    • While doing the C25K program, do not embellish, if it says "run", run only as far/long as it says, and make sure said "run" is at a pace barely faster than  a fast walk.
    • If the C25K program says take a day off, take the day off; don't bike, swim, cross train, or do any leg work with weights.

Keep us posted on yoru progress. 

• HoosierMomma Rookie 4 posts since
    Sep 16, 2013
    11,342. May 16, 2014 1:02 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hello everyone!

So, three years ago I was likely in the best shape of my adult life.  I am 5"11" and at that time weighed 178.  With friends, I began the C25K and I ran in several 5Ks.  Fast forward three years and I cannot recognize the reflection in the mirror.

I am now 233lbs and trying to grasp onto any shred of motivation to do ANYTHING, much less get on the treadmill.

I know that in the past, I felt great once I got a run in and the compliments about how good I looked certainly helped motivate me to continue.

My goal is to get my butt off the couch and back onto the treadmill.  No offense, but I hope to not be included in the 200+ club for ever.

Aug 9, 2013
    11,343. May 16, 2014 4:57 PM (in response to HoosierMomma)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hey HoosierMomma, the weather is getting nicer every day, the flowers are blooming and the birds are singing; what a great time to get off the couch and back out onto the trails or roads.  I began my quest to become an alumnus of the 200+ club in April of 2013, and it feels great to be south of that point now. 

Keep us posted on your progress.

Sep 16, 2013
    11,344. May 19, 2014 10:06 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

I started my C25K over the weekend and I can definitely tell that I'm out of shape.  ( My calves are still yelling at me).

It's nice just to have started again and to announce it on a post like this helps with my accountability.

I'll jump back in tomorrow on W1D2 of the program after my flabby legs have had adequate chance to rest. 

Aug 9, 2013
    11,345. May 19, 2014 10:36 AM (in response to HoosierMomma)
    200+ Pound Club!

Congratulations, you're already faster than the other folks still on the couch. 

Aug 9, 2013
    11,346. May 19, 2014 11:27 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

Photographic proof I'm making progress:

Here's what I looked like on 16-May-2013 (weight was a touch north of 250):

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2904/14243657783_2991b04bb1_o.jpg

Here's what I looked like on 15-May-2014 (same race one year later at roughly 190 pounds):

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5534/14221187552_88313732c0_o.jpg

And here's a shot from two weeks ago as I was finishing my 21:57 5K:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5196/14036878229_b868853608_o.png

Now if I can only lose another 20 pounds I should be able to make some noise in the "Old Man" age group of 50-59. 

Sep 16, 2013
    11,347. May 20, 2014 9:26 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

You are so awesome!  Look at you go.

Sep 16, 2013
    11,348. May 20, 2014 9:30 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

I am so proud of myself for actually getting up at 4:45am this morning to get my C25K workout in.  Of course, I'm only on W1D2, but a week or two ago I would have just laughed at my alarm clock if it went off at 4;45am.

I don't dare to step on the scale yet as it's way too early, but I feel better about myself just for starting back on this program.

Aug 9, 2013
    11,349. May 20, 2014 9:53 AM (in response to HoosierMomma)
    200+ Pound Club!

Thanks! 

Congratulations on heeding your alarm; in an odd sense, it has your best interest at heart.  I know what you mean about not getting on the scale; I had been running for a month before I got brave enough, and when I finally did it, I was still a bit over 250.  Yikes!

• WendiOliveira0 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 15, 2014
    11,350. May 21, 2014 10:21 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hello everyone!  I'm in the 200+ club and am a new runner.  I completed the C25K at the beginning of May and ran my first 5k race on May 10th.  I run 3-4 time a week and do strength training 2 times a week with a trainer and try to add at least 1-2 additional days on my own.  My runs since my race have varied from good to really challenging and I'm feeling a bit discouraged, but not giving up.  I'm also frustrated that I've been working out since last September and then added the running and not lost 1 pound since about October.  Grrrr!    Any tips on how to get my weight down?  I know I will enjoy running more if I weigh less.

Aug 9, 2013
    11,351. May 21, 2014 10:38 AM (in response to WendiOliveira0)
    200+ Pound Club!

Here's what worked for me; LSD (Long Slow Distance).

Over a period of several months I worked my way up to six miles three to four times per week, and then six miles almost every day.  Once the every day thing became more or less routine, I started extending the distance, first was to move to eight miles two to three times per week, and then adding another eight mile day per week until I was running six to seven days per week with the shortest run being eight miles.  Then I moved up to ten miles daily, and the weight just kind of melted off; after six months I was down at least 60 pounds, and while I haven't lost much more since then, I have definitely gotten smaller.

• Meganb8787 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 12, 2014
    11,352. May 21, 2014 11:07 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi everyone,

I'm so happy to have found this group. Sometimes it feels like I am the only "unfit" runner around. I started with C25k last summer at 230lbs and was inconsistent with diet and workouts until the beginning of March of this year. I think it took me that long for something finally click in me and ever since then I have been eating clean and maintaining workouts 3-4x a week. I'm down to 215 lbs now and I ran my first 5k two weekends ago,  I ran a 4 mile race last Sunday in a little under an hour (pretty good for a novice runner) and I'm running another 5k race this weekend. I think I may be enjoying them (understatement of the century) which I never, ever thought I would be able to say. My weight loss has been slow as I'm still working on my consistency in regards to distance and intensity of my workouts but to be honest I'm just proud I'm not on that couch anymore! I'm looking forward to tracking my progress with everyone. :)

• CarCar123 Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 4, 2009
    11,353. May 28, 2014 8:28 PM (in response to JettaTheHut)
    200+ Pound Club!

Good job JettaTheHut, I am a fairly new runner and would like to get my mileage up. I am 43 yrs old and 222 lbs. I started running 2 years ago and I am now able to run a 5K at about 13 to 15 min. miles. I wonder if I should be able to run faster by now and I am not pushing myself enough? Any suggestions? Good Job to all other 200+ runners!

Aug 9, 2013
    11,354. May 29, 2014 4:31 AM (in response to CarCar123)
    200+ Pound Club!

The key to bringing your 5K times down is distance.  You don't say how far you run or how often, but I'd bet if you were to increase your mileage to say 5 miles at least 3 times per week your 5K times will start dropping pretty quickly.  When I say, "5 miles at least 3 times per week," I mean at a nice slow pace, initially not much faster than a fast walk.  As your body gets used to the distance your pace for both your workouts and races will naturally increase.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...