Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

189 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: May 23, 2014 6:44 AM by lenzlaw RSS
deadinwater Rookie 4 posts since
Aug 25, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

May 23, 2014 5:46 AM

How do I train for "the suck"

During a race I hit a hill or over pace mayself and I can feel the suck as the energy drains from my arms and legs. I've used a heart monitor in the past to stay below the threshold, which works but I'd like to bump up the threshold. In training I do speed work and as I see it I have a choice that I'd like some expert comment on.  Today I was doing 8 miles with a few 1/2 mile V02 max "sprints" at a 5:49 pace.  All was going well. My recovery pace was 7:30 on the third round VO2 max "sprint" at 3/10th of a mile the suck set in. I could feel it in my forearms and legs. Here is the choice, pull back at that point or push on and complete the 1/2. I know from experience that the recovery after the suck is almost non-existent, I will devolve into a base pace and finsh the race on that. But if breaking the bank in training is going to increase my threshold, I'm up for it. If its just going to run me down then I will back off and focus on trying to shorten my recovery time between VO2 max "sprints" like the original method of intervals.  What say you?

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,332 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. May 23, 2014 6:44 AM (in response to deadinwater)
    Re: How do I train for "the suck"

First I have a couple comments.

- Interval repeats aren't "sprints".  They're a fast pace based on your race pace, usually 5K.

- When you hit a repeat that gets difficult, that means it should be the last one.  Finishing it is OK but you shouldn't try for more.

- If you hit a point in a race where you completely lose the ability to continue at your pace, and you're not within spitting distance of the finish, then you were going too fast to begin with.

That said, the generally accepted way to increase that pace is through tempo runs (aka lactate threshold runs). Warm up for a mile, run at tempo pace for 20 - 30 minutes (can be longer, depends on what you're training for), go back to warm up pace for a mile.   Tempo pace is considered the maximum pace you can hold for an hour, usually 10-mile or half-marathon race pace.

Good luck.

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points