Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1801 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: May 28, 2014 6:40 AM by Haselsmasher
DLD1221 Rookie 1 posts since
Dec 27, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

May 21, 2014 2:51 PM

Mr used to be.

Hi my name is Darrell, I've been running since 1997, I used to do at least one, sometimes two 10k runs pers year and 50-60 miles per month on the average. Iwould finish a 10k anywhere from 57-65 mins. I stopped running in 2010 and didnt start back until 2012. (got married & promotion on my job). When I stopped I weighed anywhere from 190-200lbs, I now weigh in at 233-236 pounds and have done two 10k runs since 2012. Each run I weigh over 230lbs and came in at 83 mins for the first run and 90 mins for the second run. Both runs were the houston bayou city classic 10k. I was so disappointed in the second run I vowed not to spend another dollar on a run until I drop below 200. I still run about 5 times a month 3-5 miles each run, but my time is getting worse. Im at a 16 min mile now and my weight wont go below 230. I suck at diets and my self discipline for the run last about 1 week than I stop for about 2-3 weeks than I'll do two or three days than miss two or three weeks. Any suggestions on how I could get more motivated?    p.s, Im 54 years old.

• shipo Legend 496 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    1. May 26, 2014 8:31 AM (in response to DLD1221)
    Mr used to be.

Hey DLD,

I suck at diets as well, and when not running my weight quickly shoots up north of 250, and I'm only 5'8".

Last year, just before I turned 56, I started running again, first four or five times per month, then once or twice per week, then three times per week, and now as close to every day as I can manage.  I would recommend a similar ramp-up process for you; restart your running in the two to three day per week range three to five miles per run, and never two days in a row; and within a month you'll be noticing changes in your body and how you feel when run.

I know how it feels to start out, it just plain sucks to get motivated, but once you get the routine established, it becomes much easier.  In my case, because I simply cannot leave food alone, I had to ramp my mileage up to an almost extreme level; if you can run and take it even a little easy on the food thing and keep running, you should be down below 200 in less than six months.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
  • iamloved22 Rookie 7 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    2. May 28, 2014 4:28 AM (in response to DLD1221)
    Mr used to be.

I am of the opinon that you don't need diet's or self discipline. I think it's more a lack of consistency with your running than it is your weight holding you back and slowing your times down. Make an appointment with yourself just like you would a meeting at work. Make it non optional to skip that appointment. At least 3 day's a week. Try to eat better foods but focus on your running I have found that with consistant running my body will crave healthier foods (most of the time, sometimes it still want's chocolate cake). I lost 60 lbs started running and lost another 20. This is what I did: If I wanted to eat it I ate it! No foods were off limits! BUT I was concious of what I was eating - always asking myself questions. Do I really want that? Is it still good after the first bite or second or third - often the answer was no. Am I really hungry? Am I satisfied or still hungry I didn't need to be full. Take the focus away from food - don't  obsessively plan meals or count calories. For me that always made food a focus it was about when and what I could eat next.

Also try signing up for a different event, do a 5k or a mud run. Train for a half marathon. Do something different - train for an event. Mix it up!

• jbminch Rookie 1 posts since
    May 1, 2013
    3. May 28, 2014 5:48 AM (in response to DLD1221)
    Mr used to be.

Mr. Used to be...

I would suggest that you try to find another activity or exercise other than running. I'm not trying to be a jerk but from the sound of your post, you really don't enjoy running. If you truly enjoy the activity then you don't really need motivation. Oh sure there are days when you don't feel good or it's hot or you're tired and you need a little push but over all you should look forward to the run or spin class or whatever. Mix it up. Just because you used to run doesn't mean you can't move on to something else. If you are serious about getting back to running, try some new music. I assume you wear headphones when you run so hit the iTunes store and load up on some old favorites. Also, set a goal. Pick a future race that you want to do and work toward it. I know that when I'm out running alone on a hot NC summer day and my mind wanders I focus on the marathon in November that I'm training for and it helps. I actually play out scenarios in my head. Heck. I talk to my self sometimes just to keep me going. Once you reach that goal (5K for example) set another (13.1). You also can't compare yourself now to yourself then. I did that for years. I was a track wiz in high school and when I later tried to get back in to running I would be disappointed with my performance compared to what I had done when I was 18 and would use that as an excuse to give up. Finally at 45 I put all that aside and just decided that was then, this is now and I need to do this for my health and sanity and however long it takes me to run a mile is fine. Besides, time isn't important, the distance is. A mile is a mile no matter how long it takes. Have you considered trying C25K? I have a friend who was a huge runner, ran many marathons then got out of it for a while and used C25K to get back in shape. As for sucking at diets, sorry but if you are serious about weight loss you need to suck it up. There is no way around it and deep down you know that. Good luck! I really think that if you find an exercise program that you enjoy you will stick with it and the rest will fall in line.

• Haselsmasher Legend 518 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    4. May 28, 2014 6:40 AM (in response to DLD1221)
    Mr used to be.

I think one of the most mentally challenging things is get back into something that you used to do a lot of but got out of the habit.  That happened to me with biking.  I was a huge biker in college.  I fell away from it and then in my early 30s tried to get back into it.  My mind remembered how "easy" it was to go out on a Sunday and ride 100 miles, but my body reminded my mind it wasn't that easy.  My mind had forgotten the months of work required to get up to that point where one can ride that distance.  The same has happened to me with running following injuries.  I remember how 6 or 8 miles used to feel like a rest day, but when coming back after an injury layoff one mile and I'd about collapse.

So - my suggestion is try to focus on the progress you're making based on where you are, not on where you were.  ("I'm now able to do x easier than I could 2 weeks ago." as opposed to "I now can only do x and I've got so far to go to get to 5x.")

The eating thing is tough.  I know, I've been there.  Last Summer I made some diet changes along with ramping up my biking and I dropped 25 lbs.  On the one hand it wasn't hard but on the other hand it was quite hard.  There were some habits I really had to focus on breaking.  I know it sounds odd, but if there is any way to associate some level of hunger with that feeling of "I'm making progress." that helped me a lot.  I still struggle with this a lot, but at the end of the day (literally) if I haven't cheated and I've stuck to what I've wanted to do food wise I feel better and happier than if I gave in and ate something I regretted.  Trust me, I don't do what I set out to do all the time.  But that's what I strive for.

I think there is very much something to be said for finding an activity you enjoy.  When that is the case then (normally) you can't wait to get out there.

Good luck! 

Jim

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points