Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1010 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Jul 7, 2014 8:41 AM by hammer4321 RSS
hammer4321 Amateur 20 posts since
Apr 3, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

May 14, 2014 6:57 AM

Runkeeper Training Plans

Anyone used them?  I'm in week 4 out of 16 of a 2:15 HM training plan...seems to be a bit more intense than I expected, the long run is already up to 11 miles and I'll be running 5x/week by next week. 

• shipo Legend 445 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    1. May 14, 2014 7:05 AM (in response to hammer4321)
    Runkeeper Training Plans

I don't use any training plans at all, however, depending upon what your base is like, an 11 mile long run could either be challenging or a walk in the park.  How many miles had you run in the six months prior to starting the sixteen week training progam?

Aug 9, 2013
    3. May 14, 2014 8:09 AM (in response to hammer4321)
    Re: Runkeeper Training Plans

Hmmm, maybe it's just me, but a plan with only one long run per week sounds a bit thin for a half marathon training program.

Once again, speaking strictly for myself, until I got myself up weekday daily 8+ mile run with at least one 12+ mile run on weekends, I didn't feel I was physically prepared to safely run a half marathon.

Aug 9, 2013
    5. May 14, 2014 9:50 AM (in response to hammer4321)

Seven on weekdays and fifteen on the weekend long run toward the end of the program sounds reasonable; a few more questions:

• How much time between the end of your sixteenth week and your race?
    • What pace do you typically maintain during your weekly long run?
    • Do you plan on "tapering", or are you planning on maintaining high weekly mileage right up to a couple of days prior to the race?
    • How hilly is the race?
    • If the previous answer was "hilly", what amount of hill work are you doing during your training?
    Aug 9, 2013
    7. May 14, 2014 11:39 AM (in response to hammer4321)

If you get your hands on the course map, you can then use one of the walking/running route interactive mapping web pages to recreate the route; most also show a graph for the elevation gain/loss below the map.  Elevation change is all relative, if you live and train in say Chicago, a race with 400' of gain will be difficult, however, if you live and train here in New Hampshire, 400' of gain will hardly be noticable.

Regarding your pace, if you're able to hold your current pace through the rest of the training program, then a 2:15 HM is pretty reasonable.

If your body reacts to training like mine, then it is a pretty good bet that you'll do well in your race; that said, if you then maintain week 16 for say another four to six weeks and then run another half marathon, odds are you'll knock an easy ten to fifteen minutes off the time.

Keep us posted. 

• justamaniac Pro 170 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    8. May 14, 2014 4:41 PM (in response to hammer4321)

I consider training plans to be a guide. Good information in general, but I always feel that it is necessary to adjust to my needs and ability.  I played around a bit with the runkeeper plans, didn't like them as-is, and modified to suite my style. Don't take a plan that you find as "the plan" - adjust it and make it work for you. Just my two cents...

-bill

http://runningthrutime.blogspot.com

Aug 9, 2013
    10. May 15, 2014 9:10 AM (in response to hammer4321)

Based upon the hill work you're doing in training it looks like the hills at the six and eight mile marks should be relatively easy.  I'm thinking the plan you have in place should prepare you to meet or beat your goal time.

BTW, if you ever want a challenge with even more hills, you might want to consider the New Hampshire 10-Miler around Massabesic Lake; that race has something like 725' of elevation gain/loss with a nasty in the fifth mile, a long grinding nasty in the seventh mile, and another nasty in the ninth mile.  Once beyond the nine mile mark it's pretty much all down-hill to the finish. 

http://www.millenniumrunning.com/newhampshire10

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points