Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

173303 Views 796 Replies Latest reply: Oct 5, 2014 4:31 PM by shipo Go to original post 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 Previous Next
  • RunforTherapy Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 28, 2013
    Currently Being Moderated
    780. Jun 4, 2014 8:09 AM (in response to NICURN09)
    Plus sized and starting C25K for the first time

I'm 66 and overweight (180#) and I began runnng on the treadmill about 9 months ago. In addition to dropping 20 lbs., I ran my first 5K on St. Patrick's day and just ran a Color Run this past Saturday. Below is a link to a story that my insurance company did about me. I hope it can be inspiring to you in your quest to be a runner. I don't run for anyone but myself. Running is my therapy, and running a 5K was one of the things on my 'bucket list' but now I'm hooked on running.

http://www.healthwaysfit.com/article/silversneakers-member-success-story-ginny-yingst

Ginny

"I believe God made me for a purpose, And when I run I feel His pleasure." Eric Lidell

• KenOldendick Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 8, 2013
    781. Jun 4, 2014 3:41 PM (in response to NICURN09)

NICURN09

Please get started ASAP! And trust me NO ONE will think what you are thinking. I know from experience.

I was 49 years old and weighed 424.4 pounds 19 months ago (Nov 2012). I also had extremely high blood pressure (180/140) and severe diabetes (A1c 10.6). I was going on 50 and fogured that I probably had one last chance to lose weight and regain my health. And I felt the same way you did. But, in fact, just the opposite happens. People quickly see your efforts and changes and a few of them will say something. I spent the first 4 months just walking. I hadn't run more than 3 steps in years. But last year I decided I would try a 5K, it was 3 months after my 50th birthday. BOY, was a scared for a whole month after I signed up for that!! That 5K was in fact 1 year ago yesterday (June 2, 2013). It was great! I finished 1402nd out of 1,533 and knew right away I would be doing more. This weekend I celebrated my first year of running by doing that race again. It is now the seventh 5K that I've done! I've also done two 10Ks, and 1 month ago on May 4th I ran a half-marathon! It was AWESOME. I lost 155 pounds last year, and I went from 424.4 pounds to 13.1 miles in 18 months. But I'm not finished just yet. I have 2 more half-marathons (Aug+Sept), and then ultimately on October 18, 2014 I will run in the Baltimore Full Marathon. If I am successful with that I will be able to say, at the age of 51, that I went from 424.4 pounds to 26.2 miles in just under 2 years. More importantly though, and I wasn't planning on this, is that I've made so many new friends now that just support me to no end!!! The same thing will happen to you....as soon as you take those first steps!!!! Best of luck, and good wishes, toward you!!!

Ken

• Ariarnia Rookie 6 posts since
    Aug 7, 2014
    782. Aug 7, 2014 12:56 PM (in response to NICURN09)

Okay, after reading this thread - and taking a jolly good time to do it, I'm looking for some advice.

I've committed myself to running a 5k in November. For movember - the male cancer charity. The faster I finish the more money I raise.

I'm 28, female, never run in my life before now, and overweight.

I was 21 stone (133kg) last October, now I'm in the 17 stone bracket (102 to 106kg - lots of fluctuations atm) via diet improvement rather than exercise (have to say this as I'm very pleased with myself).

I've joined a gym, but there's not really anyone there to advise - hence posting here.

I'm struggling with c-2-5k. I spend too long trying to time the intervals and can't judge what's a good speed. I can't just focus on what I'm doing. Don't know if I'm doing it wrong.

Setting the treadmill on manual, I can do 1.4 miles (2.25km) in about 20 mins - then melt. 20 minutes later I can do it again. I can happily do 6 miles in a day, just in 20 minute intervals.

That's just over 4m/6km an hour. Starting at 3mph, and ramping it slowly to 7, before back down to 3.

I can walk 5k in 45 minutes easily. I can walk 30k in a day at my own pace - I grew up in the country! I just can't run for more than a few minutes...

Can someone help by giving me an idea of what I should be focusing on? Increasing distance so I can actually complete the 5k in one sitting, or looking at reducing my interval time, or my speed - the length of time I can run for each time?

Specifically - What I'm doing at the moment is walking at 3mph until I'm comfortable and I'm loosened up (1 or 2 minutes), waking quickly at 4mph until I'm feeling warm and a track on my cd ends (around 3 or 4 minutes) cranking up to 6 or 7 mph and trying to run for a full track (normally lasting around 2 minutes) then walking at 4 until I cool down (say 4 mins). When I'm cool and a new track starts, back up to 6/7 (maybe another 2) then down to 4 until I can breathe again (+4mins). Finally, drop to 3 until the 20 minutes are up (1 or 2).

Is this trying to run for as long as possible a good plan? I really want to run out my track - it's lovers on the backseat by scissor sisters. 3min 15 long...

Any views, advice, criticism, gratefully received.  

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,422 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    783. Aug 7, 2014 1:20 PM (in response to Ariarnia)

Try running at 5mph.  6 or 7mph is pretty fast for a beginner.  Most treadmills I know of have a timer as well.  Use the timer on the TM and follow the C25K program times, instead of just running until the track on your cd ends.  The run/walk times on C25K are designed to be reasonable at a moderate beginner's speed.  So if you're going to do the program, do the program.  If you're going to decide interval times arbitrarily, then you're no longer following C25K and you're on your own.

Len

Aug 7, 2014
    784. Aug 7, 2014 3:05 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

Thanks Len.

To be honest, the timer on the treadmill doesn't really work for me - like I said, I look at the timer and loose my running gait, and I'd I'm starting to get warm at all my glasses start to fall off...

I don't think the interval style works very well for me, so I was hoping that someone could suggest an alternative - or simply reassurance to stick with it and that a 5k in November is doable for a complete beginner :)

Jan 18, 2008
    785. Aug 7, 2014 7:40 PM (in response to Ariarnia)
    Re: Plus sized and starting C25K for the first time

Well, no, you didn't say that.  It's possible that's what you intended to say but you didn't say that.  Most gym treadmills can be programmed to speed up and slow down automatically, at intervals you select.  I'm sure there is someone at the gym who can show you how to do that.  (They'd be legally liable for misuse if they couldn't, so there must be someone available.)  And you can't "loose" your "running gait" because the TM is setting the pace for you.  All you have to do is keep up.  And - OH NO! - your glasses slip.  Well there are straps to hold your glasses on.  The "interval style" works well because it is a gradual introduction to running, unlike the "Let's just go out and run 3 miles" style that so frequently leads to injury.  Running is, among other things, a discipline.  And discipline must be applied by the runner to be successful.  So, try looking for reasons to make it work instead of excuses why it won't.

Len

Aug 7, 2014
    786. Aug 8, 2014 8:22 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

Sorry if I caused offence. Thank you for your views.

Jan 18, 2008
    787. Aug 8, 2014 4:42 PM (in response to Ariarnia)

Just trying to get you to understand that you must make an effort for running to work for you.  It's not free and it's not easy.

Len

• OldSteve Amateur 22 posts since
    Jul 12, 2014
    788. Aug 8, 2014 6:05 PM (in response to Ariarnia)

If you have a smart phone, get the C25K app. There's a free version and it will handle all your times for you and give you a report at the end. The only problem I've seen with the app so far is with small indoor tracks, the GPS tracking does not work properly every time.

Aug 7, 2014
    789. Aug 9, 2014 7:35 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

I appreciate that, but with all respect - on the 18th November I WILL run 5k and I will do my damnedest to do it in as close to 30 minutes as I can (maximum donations).

If I thought it was the proverbial walk in the park I'd just turn up on the day and either expire half way through or walk it in an hour or so. 

I wouldn't be asking for advice, I wouldn't be training for the next 14 weeks, and I wouldn't have told absolutely everyone I know (at home and at work) so I can't back out of it.

:D

Downloading the app was an excellent idea. Got the NHS one free and just did week 1 day 1.

2 miles in 30 minutes and I felt I could do it again if I'd needed to. Should be interesting to see how I do with weeks 2 and 3, but being good and not skipping ahead.

• OldSteve Amateur 22 posts since
    Jul 12, 2014
    790. Aug 9, 2014 5:45 PM (in response to Ariarnia)

yeah, don't skip ahead as it does get a lot tougher as you go.

I've never been a runner before but the wife has and she keeps trying to go too fast for me. Week 3 kicked my butt and going to do it again before trying week 4.

Aug 7, 2014
    791. Aug 10, 2014 3:09 PM (in response to OldSteve)

My thinking is that it's a nine week programme, and I've got 14 weeks (well, 13 now) to get there :)

I'm not going to stop running, but I might repeat a few weeks, or occasionally just do a day when I run for as long or as fast as I can - it's in my nature.

I'm hoping that around week six or seven I should be running well enough to qualify for the local running club - then I can get in a few weeks of outside running.

I'm really struggling with the idea of rest says though. I know why they're important, but I feel 'twitchy'. I want to run.

Sounds mad, but I'm liking running :D

Jan 18, 2008
    792. Aug 10, 2014 5:02 PM (in response to Ariarnia)

Most running clubs will accept anyone who is running - C25K or otherwise.  They may even have their own C25K faction.  Try not to let that "twitchy" get to you.  It's too easy to end up injured and that would make for a lousy race day.

Len

Aug 7, 2014
    793. Aug 11, 2014 11:58 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

Unfortunately not, I asked.  My name's on a list in case they run a beginners club, but apparently there's not enough demand. They require either constant running for 1 mile, or constant running for 10 minutes (on a treadmill) before you can go out with them, and expect you to be working towards a 10 minute mile pace.

I could do a park run in the local park, but I'm not quite up to covering 5k I don't think - just another couple of weeks and I'll give it a go, but at the moment the furthest I've done is inside and 2.2 miles in 30 min. I'm aiming to start running outside by early September, either with the club or with the park run.

I'm sticking with the 30 minutes as (from the first time I tried the bupa c25k) it's long enough that I get a workout, but short enough I don't get bored. It's also the first couple of weeks of the NHS podcast I downloaded, and my 5k goal time.

I've looked ahead at the programme (not jumped ahead mind you), and I think even when the weeks are shorter(in week 3 the intervals are longer, but the total time only 20 minutes), if I can (comfortably) I'll keep walking until 30 minutes are up.

As it is, you end week 1 with 5 minutes brisk walking meaning I'm still quite warm at the end of the session and benefit from keeping walking/cooling a little before hopping in a shower.

Jan 18, 2008
    794. Aug 11, 2014 6:14 PM (in response to Ariarnia)

That's weird.  My local running club has a couple of "fun runs" every week that are open to all comers, including non-members.

Len

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...