Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

468 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jul 7, 2014 6:18 PM by JamesJohnsonLMT
crikey Rookie 7 posts since
Oct 1, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

May 27, 2014 11:56 AM

Are there any runners out there who have had spinal fusion?

Are there any runners out there who have had spinal fusion? I am a 55 year old

woman recovering from a spinal fusion with bone graft. I'm looking to hear any feed

back on any runners who have gone through this surgery. How long it takes

before you can run again? I had surgery on May 16, 2014. I'm starting to feel

better with my body recovering from the initial shock of surgery, anesthesia,

pain meds. and the whole body slow down. Plenty of water to get things moving again

with the help of over the counter lexatives. (Something that is not discussed enough

before surgery).

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,167 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009

I was scanning for unanswered questions, & saw your post from five weeks ago. I suppose there aren't any readers with your recent experience perusing the forum at this time, but I've heard a few stories over the years. How long you have to wait for exercise is going to depend on how much impact your doctor thinks you can handle, within what timeframe. I would not accept any generalizations when your spine is at stake. Get a professional prognosis from somebody with sports-med experience.

As you found, one of the problems with surgery is the heavy use of antibiotics, which can eliminate enough intestinal flora to cause constipation. Here is a sobering discussion of this problem, which cannot be solved as easily as it seems....

Meanwhile, you may enjoy reading some comments on a "Doctors" TV show that featured a type of therapeutic footwear developed for handling recoveries like yours. I own a pair myself, and their reduction of impact force helped me get over an achilles injury. They are also popular among spine surgery patients, although their design assumes a certain amount of ankle strength. Your problem is going to be having fewer disks to absorb the impact of running, and some adjustments to your footwear, running surface, and training regimen are likely to be needed.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points