Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4543 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Aug 10, 2014 4:58 PM by lenzlaw RSS
runnermin Rookie 4 posts since
Jun 16, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 22, 2014 4:15 AM

5 km in 25 minutes - is it possible?

Have started running since this May after one year break. Last year I could run 5K in about 29:00 and 10K in about 1:01:00.

However, when I resumed running this May, first day I could barely go 1.9K in 13:33 !

Have been running since then 3-4 times a week. With some progress in terms of 5K as:

May 22, 5K = 38:21
Jun 15,  5K = 35:37
Jul 14, 5K =  33:32
Jul 19, 5K =  31:11  [PB this season ]

Although, I am having some progress, I want to run 5K in 25:00.

I know I should not focus on timing and rather enjoy running, but I am competent in nature as otherwise I can't keep motivation.

Unfortunately, I was always sort of unfit person and  very poor when it comes about athletics.

So do you think a goal of 5k in 25m is too agressive given my poor record/gene?  Or as I heard, with hard work, almost any one can achieve this?

For data: I am 1.86m tall, 198 lb [last year 186 lb], 32y, male. But as I said, I was particularly poor in atheltics in my school days.

Want to listen your opinons and sugestions !

• ydiez Pro 122 posts since
    Nov 7, 2011
    1. Jul 23, 2014 2:36 AM (in response to runnermin)

It is always nice to see yourself improve and it is one of the main reasons for most people (including myself) to get yourself out there and run BUT...

Trying to do too much too soon is the number one cause of injury, specially in "new" runners. So, to answer your question, is it doable? Maybe, but not if you get injured first. Your improvement track looks impressive, but that might also indicate that you are pushing yourself too hard.

My advice would be to focus on trying to stay healthy and prepare your body for running as best as possible. Basically, try to slowly increase your mileage without worrying at all about time, run more, slower, then you can run faster. Keep in mind to try to prevent injuries (what I do is dinamic stretche pre-run and static post run, but you probably can get oppinions that are more informed than mine here or in other websites). Another thing that also works for me is cross-training (in my case swimming and, lately biking). Finally, eating habits are also a part of it, so being in your best possible weight will also help with your running in general.

To sum up, my advice: forget about the time for now, run slow and get your body fit for running, afterwards the time will come on its own.

Current PB:

5k: 20:12 (December 31st 2012)

10k : 42:30 (March 9th 2014)

Half Marathon: 1:35:27 (February 3rd 2013)

After completing my 10th HM it's marathon time. To be totally honest now it's recovery time due to an ankle injury, THEN I'll think about the Marathon.

• shipo Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    2. Jul 23, 2014 6:16 AM (in response to runnermin)

I second ydiez's advice; slow your training pace down, increase your training mileage; you'll minimize your chances of injury and your 5K times will improve dramatically.

You don't tell us what kind of distance and pace you run when you're training, so any recommendations are going to be a bit off the mark.  That said, were it that I was coaching you, I would recommend you slow down and work your way up to at least 10 kilometers per training run, and then either extend those runs, or start sneaking in an extra run per week of that distance.  Once 10K five or more times per week becomes easy, a sub-25:00 5K race should be within your grasp.

• ChristopherClark265 Amateur 12 posts since
    May 23, 2013
    3. Jul 24, 2014 1:18 PM (in response to runnermin)

I am 31y, 185 pounds, relatively new to running.

Last winter I was 207 pounds and my personal 5k best in training was 27:45.  Now my personal best is 24:30, and that's a stale mark, since I managed about 25:00 doing intervals two weeks ago.

Yes, you can improve to the 25:00 mark.  The times I was having trouble improving were the times when I was just trying to run 5k distance with moderate pace every session.  So what I did was I incorporated some strength training, and I started trying to do one speed workout, one long run, and one hill owrkout per week.  That way you're building up endurance at the same time you're strengthening your legs.

• shipo Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    4. Jul 24, 2014 1:40 PM (in response to ChristopherClark265)
    Re: 5 km in 25 minutes - is it possible?

I have to say, I'm not at all a fan of strength and speed work for folks racing the 5K distance over the 20:00 threshold (unless the runner already has a huge mileage base and/or is older than 60).  Why?  Based upon both personal experience as well as the results from those I coach, dedicating the time spent on strength and speed to increasing the mileage base instead yields considerably faster 5K race times.

• ZachAnderley Rookie 1 posts since
    May 28, 2014
    6. Jul 31, 2014 1:30 AM (in response to runnermin)

The majority of your mileage should be at an easy, conversational pace. I would keep it to one long run per week with two or three shorter easy paced runs. I would still keep one speed session per week. So a one week sample might be a 12k on Sun, Rest on Mon, Easy 4k on Tues, 3k on Wed, Thurs Speedwork (ex. 2k warmup jog then 3x800m with 400m jog in between and 1k cooldown jog) goal pace for speedwork for you may be something like 4:20 for each interval, Fri easy 3k and Rest on Sat. Every week you can add 1-2k to each easy and long run. Once a month you can do a tempo run in place of the Speedwork; sub a 5k at effort somewhere between your easy run and interval pace. Week after that you can do all easy runs then start the cycle over again. The easy runs will burn more fat and build overall endurance. I think the speedwork will be important for you and you should stick with it. Fartleks during your long run are also quite beneficial in many ways as well. I believe you are much more capable and closer to breaking the 25min mark than you realize. Most people are more physically capable than they assume. The mental barriers need to be challenged and broken. I think the speedwork will help you recognize this; you care capable right now of more than you assume or give yourself credit for.

• DennisPewsey Rookie 1 posts since
    May 10, 2011
    7. Jul 31, 2014 9:22 AM (in response to runnermin)

Yes, yes, yes, you can do a 5k in 25:00!  Now that we have that out of the way, here is how you do it.

Do lots of specific training 3 to 4 days a week.  Do speed work on the track.  400's, 800's, etc., do mile repeats, as fast as you can, till you lungs burn.  Run long runs of at least 10 miles, till your legs feel like lead.  Strength train for core and upper body a couple times a week and pedal fast on a stationary bike to get your turnover quicker.

This sounds like a lot of work, and for me it is, but I have finished several 5K's in under 25:00 and I am more than twice your age.  I was never athletic or fit and just started running 8 years ago.  I am 66, 6'6" and 175lbs. My first 3years of running I lost 50lbs.  When I got to 180lbs. my times were much faster. 

You state that you went from 186 lb. to  198 lb. so I would say this is you main obstacle to getting your race time down.  You can not get faster by gaining weight.  So in addition to sweating it off on hard workouts, pay attention to your runner's diet.  I cut out all junk food, fast food and soda. 

I have every confidence that you can make your 25:00 time.  Believe it.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,387 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    8. Jul 31, 2014 8:25 PM (in response to DennisPewsey)

I haven't seen such a hodge-podge of training advice, all in one place, in a long time.  I won't add to it, except to say to pick and choose from the elements offered. to find what works best for you.  Experiment - lightly and cautiously.  It will take some time but you will eventually come up with a training regimen that helps you to develop as a runner.  And, yes, there is no reason you can't reach 25 minutes or better.  Though it might take several months to a year.

Len

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,387 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    10. Aug 10, 2014 4:58 PM (in response to runnermin)
    Re: 5 km in 25 minutes - is it possible?

Just be careful doing those speed trials.  It's too easy to push too hard and strain something.  Doing two in one week is definitely too much.  Probably doing one at most every two weeks is enough (I would recommend every three to four weeks), and the changes will be more noticeable.

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...