Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

320904 Views 1,936 Replies Latest reply: Aug 27, 2014 6:32 AM by Banishing-Bertha Go to original post 1 ... 126 127 128 129 130 Previous Next
  • Ralph L Edwards,Jr Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 28, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    1,905. Jul 16, 2014 8:44 AM (in response to disneygal2)
    Are you over fifty and doing the C25k?

I've been lucky..have stayed in good condition. Turned 65 in 2012,however saw my sons do this thing called a triathlon,and was impressed;and a little inspired. Thought I could eventually run a 5k,although never had and thought I could ride a bike twenty miles,although didn't own a bike. But the idea of swimming a half a mile was to say the least daunting. Never mind all this took place back to back to back...just never mind.

Anyway in the spring of 2011 I got busy,really busy. And the swim was the hard part at the start..my first attempt across a fifty meter pool was a fail,had to stop..but kept coming back. And found out I'm a slow runner,real slow. I played soccer in school,even made the freshman team in college,so I used to run at least sprint which is that running part in soccer,but long distance running is different,real different. But I'm slow,very slow. And biking hurt,a lot,in a lot of places,tender places. And I don't like hills,or wind which are constants on a bike come to find out. Never the less,biking is hard,and those guys in the TdF look like that for a reason. It's hard work.

So,long story shortened,I got in and finished my first tri in the fall of '11 and did the 5k in 44..yep a shade under 15 minute miles..I said I was slow!..but wow I finished. And wanted to do some more,and do a little better,time wise.

And since then,I have...this past June I got a finisher medal for the half ironman in Raleigh,I did the swim part of the relay 1.2 mile swim,son and daughter did the ride swim portions,Team Redo!. Finished the half marathon in WPB in 2:44, silly porta-potty stop probably pushed me over my two thirty goal,and my 5k/10k times have been right at the 30/60 marks,so I've sped up a little bit,but I'm still slow. Done a int/oly Tri distance under four hours so not all terrible bad,just slow...couple of age group wins,podium finishes in a tri here and there.

All in all,lots of fun,some stress,some soreness,a little pain,a bit of hurt but a sense of doing something,actually some things. And that's plural,many things fun and good. So,short speech..keep moving,you'll get there,you're fine and doing good.

Cheers,RE

• Linda1953 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 17, 2014
    1,906. Jul 17, 2014 5:57 AM (in response to disneygal2)
    Re: Are you over fifty and doing the C25k?

Hi everyone.  I'm 60 (and a half) and have been allergic to exercise for most of my life especially the Gym!  But have been following a friend on Facebook doing C25K and thought I'd give it a crack.   On week 2 at the moment and boy, is it hard, but I'm actually loving it.  My calves ache, I sweat like a horse, but my dodgy knees are holding up very well.  In fact, I don't think they're dodgy at all, just weak through lack of exercise!!  This week, I haven't found running for 90 seconds any more difficult than running 60 in week 1, which is good.  Don't think I'll ever be up for a 10k like one of my sons, or marathons & triathlons like the other but I quite like saying to hubby ' right, love, I'm off out for a jog'.  Who'd have thought it!!!  

Linda, Kent, UK

• shipo Legend 499 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    1,907. Jul 17, 2014 8:37 AM (in response to Linda1953)

Linda1953 wrote:

Don't think I'll ever be up for a 10k like one of my sons, or marathons & triathlons like the other but I quite like saying to hubby ' right, love, I'm off out for a jog'.  Who'd have thought it!!!  

Linda, Kent, UK

Hey Linda,

First: Congratulations on C25K!

Second: Don't sell yourself short, last year when I was *almost* 56 I did a 5K in 55 minutes, by last November I did a 10K on a very snowy and slippery course, in 48:24.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
  • sotmccallum56 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 17, 2014
    1,908. Jul 17, 2014 4:41 PM (in response to disneygal2)

I am 57 now. In my 20s and 30s I ran 5ks with no problem. Then (I can't remember why) I stopped running. Now my daughter is running half-marathons and has me running again, but I just can't get close to where I used to be. So I decided to start from scratch and do the C25k. I just started this week and have a 5k scheduled in September.

Aug 9, 2013
    1,909. Jul 17, 2014 5:27 PM (in response to sotmccallum56)

I'm 57 as well and started running again in April of 2013, and while I believe I can elevate my 5K game fairly substantially (current PR for over 50 is 21:31) I rather doubt I'll be able to knock off the four and a half minutes it would take to get me back to the pace I ran the one and only time I ran a 5K prior to last year.  Said another way, it is the rare 57 year old bird that can still run at a pace close to what they used to do, so don't feel bad.  Another way to evaluate your performance is to base it upon other folks in your age group; if there are 100 folks in your age group, and if you finish in the top ten, then you're doing well.

Fat old man PRs:

• lawiant Rookie 6 posts since
    Jul 26, 2012
    1,910. Jul 23, 2014 7:06 AM (in response to shipo)

In reply to Shipo on May 9, 2014, Extremely good advice!  Every one of those points you make is very important if you want to run injury-free.  Even now, I have to remind myself of these things whenever I start ramping up my miles for distance runs (that would be half-marathons for me).

Aug 9, 2013
    1,911. Jul 23, 2014 9:07 AM (in response to lawiant)

Thanks! 

I've recently been reading lots of advice about the "Dos" and "Don'ts" of running when over fifty, and lots of the published advice seems to be A) somewhat logical and intuitive, and B) absolute crap.  Based upon my own adventures in post-50 running along with those of the folks I coach, I don't see any reason why us more seasoned individuals cannot (gradually) challenge our bodies to adapt to more intense workouts and races (conventional advice seems to teach toward less intense workouts and longer recovery periods).

As an experiment on my part (not recommending anybody else try this), this week I'm building upon several previous 1-Week and 1-Month experiments (listed below):

• October 2012 (when I was 55): I decided to attempt to run 8 miles per day for an entire week; by mid week I wasn't sure I'd be able to finish, by the seventh day, I felt stronger and faster than I did on day one.
    • August 2013 (4 months after restarting running following a 5-month layoff due to surgery): I decided to attempt to run 8+ miles a day for as many days as possible during August; I managed 29 days (one of the "missed" days featured my first 5K since 1979 and as such, didn't meet my 8+ mile threshold).
    • October 2013: I bumped my normal daily workout to 10 miles; the first week was mildly difficult, but nothing like how I felt in October 2012.
    • July 2014 : One of my goals for this year was to try running 100 miles in a single week.  Last Sunday I ran a 10-miler with my wife, and then another 12-miler four hours later, I've since logged 16 miles both Monday and Tuesday so I'm already over half way there.  Even though my mileage is roughly double what it was in October 2012, and even though the weather is much more hot and humid, I feel about the same as I did half way through that 56 mile week.  Stay tuned for my update this Saturday.

Long story short, I rather doubt my 57 year old body is all that unusual compared to any other given 57 year old body, and yet, I seem to have managed to force my body to recover faster than what "conventional wisdom" sould suggest.

Fat old man PRs:

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,414 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1,912. Jul 23, 2014 3:55 PM (in response to shipo)

Yeah, a lot of the general advice for that age group is crap.  Partly it assumes you're a long-time, consistent runner.  In that case, indeed, you may not be able to push as hard as you did 5 years before.  But I know people who didn't start until their late 50s and did some good running into their early 60s - BQ, for instance.  But I will say, it gets harder to maintain as you get further into your 60s.  You just have to work harder to stay in the same, or nearly the same, condition.

Len

Aug 9, 2013
    1,913. Jul 23, 2014 6:14 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

I guess the thing I find the oddest is the whole recovery thing; conventional wisdom says the older you get the more time you need between workouts.  Oddly enough, I've found the opposite to be true, in my teens, twenties, thirties, and forties, I would never have been able to sustain the kind of daily mileage I'm able to do now.  Of course your point about "pushing hard" is also true, back in my twenties I was able to run a pretty consistent sub-36:00 10K on only five to seven hundred miles of training per year; I've run over 2,500 in the last year and will be very lucky indeed to break 20:00 for a 5K by year's end.

Fat old man PRs:

• OldSteve Amateur 21 posts since
    Jul 12, 2014
    1,914. Jul 24, 2014 3:02 PM (in response to OldSteve)

The wife and I started week 2 last night and it kicked my butt. Even had to cut my weight training as there was no energy left. But I finished it in it's entirety, which I could not do with day 1 of week 1.

Last week, we did the C25K after our weight training and it didn't seam too bad. With a 10 to 20 minute break in between. I know this may be a bit much to bite off at over 50 but I have a short timeline to get into better shape and the weight training is equally important as the running. Is anyone doing both weight training and the C25K at the same time? What order do you conduct your workout in?

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,414 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1,915. Jul 24, 2014 6:37 PM (in response to OldSteve)

The two are not incompatible, assuming you're not a true body-builder.  Here are a couple recent articles that address the issues.  Your question about when to do both is answered in the first article.

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/strength-training-misconceptions

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/strength-training-workouts-for-runners

Len

Jul 12, 2014
    1,916. Jul 24, 2014 8:20 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

No, not a body builder. I started out with the weights and walking on the treadmill but needed to up my game and just recently added the C25K. The article matches pretty close to what I've been doing so it looks like I'm on the right track. This is all job hunt related and I have to be able to compete with 25 year olds to make it.

• CoryDallas Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 26, 2014
    1,917. Jul 26, 2014 3:45 AM (in response to OldSteve)

Hi OldSteve,

I just recently began running and have found Runmeter to be a great app, so much so that i sprung for the upgraded version - and that's rare for me.

There is even a Casio watch, the STB-1000 that integrates directly with it and a Bluetooth heart rate monitor that does the same.

Jul 12, 2014
    1,918. Jul 28, 2014 2:27 PM (in response to CoryDallas)

We decided on the "runkeeper" app and use it at the same time with the C25K app. The biggest problem we have is that we run on an indoor track at the gym we go to. It's not a big track (22 laps for 1 mile) and sometimes it gets crowded but it has AC. The Runkeeper does have a problem with measuring the distance, I have to assume because we are indoors on a small track so the GPS doesn't get a good signal. I may have to find a more mechanical system instead of the wife's Iphone. But having been unemployed for over 2 years, all the playtoys will have to wait a while.

A quick update on progress, tonight is day 3 of week 2. Not sure I'm looking forward to week three yet since week 2 has been a struggle. I'm thinking of continuing week 2 for the remainder of this week so we get our weeks back to "Mon-Wed-Fri". I wasn't going to run tonight after a long day yesterday with no rest but I told the wife it's 3 days a week regarless of how we feel. I guess I have to suck it up and do the best I can!

• AnnCarbone Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 24, 2014
    1,919. Jul 30, 2014 6:38 AM (in response to disneygal2)

I am 54 and started the C25K shortly after my birthday with a few friends. . we are slow ... but we are getting better every week ... and are entering runs /// obstacle runs which break up the running ,.. and we keep  trying ... I hurt my knee in an HIIT class and now regret taking that class ... classes like that encourage bad form as everyone cranks out reps... so I need to be careful ..but we have a goal to run the Disney Princess half ... just wish I could get my husband off the couch  

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...