Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2141495 Views 11,397 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2014 7:32 PM by lenzlaw RSS Go to original post 1 ... 756 757 758 759 760 Previous Next
  • shipo Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    Currently Being Moderated
    11,385. Jul 8, 2014 7:19 PM (in response to ToniTidwell)
    200+ Pound Club!

Wow, The Peachtree Roadrace, talk about a blast from the past.  The Peachtree Roadrace 1979 was my very first roadrace; talk about instant nostalgia. 

• Ferrylights Rookie 6 posts since
    Jul 21, 2014
    11,386. Jul 21, 2014 7:23 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi folks, I am starting the C25K this evening, not having done any running in over 25 years. I previously ran a lot but with work, marriage and kids things got let go - a lot! I'm currently at 301 pounds and I'm very unhappy at this weight and corresponding level of fitness. Ideally I would like to be around the 220 mark, though I know that this is a long term goal and cannot be rushed, just like getting back into the running habit. I really used to love running and hope that this will kick start the habit again. I have read many, inspirational stories on here and I hope to replicate those of you who have achieved your goals. Any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated, especially when the going gets tough - as I know it must. I will keep up to date will all that's happening on the site and posting on my progress. Keep up the good work everyone!!

Aug 9, 2013
    11,387. Jul 21, 2014 8:15 AM (in response to Ferrylights)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hey Ferrylights,

Congratulations on starting the C25K program.  Even though I've never personally done the program, I have coached a few folks who've done it; the following are my standard tips on C25K success.

• When the program says "Run", keep it slow, like barely faster than a fast walk.  This bit of advice is especially important for folks who used to run and are just getting back into it.
    • If you can, keep your running on the trail, the difference in wear and tear on your body is remarkable (I can quite literally link every running injury I've had since I turned 40 to running on pavement, and when I switch to dirt, I suddenly get better).
    • If you don't think you're quite ready for the plan for the next week, repeat weeks as needed until you're ready for the next level.
    • If the C25K program says take a day off, take the day off; don't bike, swim, cross train, or do any leg work with weights; rest and recover is equally as important as excersize, especially when just getting started.

Once you've finished the C25K program:

• Don't fall into the TFFFS trap (Too Fast, too far, too Frequently, too Soon), g-r-a-d-u-a-l-l-y work your way into a running routine.
    • If on any given day you feel stronger than usual, resist the temptation to run faster, run further instead.

Always keep in mind, during the C25K program and after, the key to improving your fitness and losing weight is to push your progress very slowly so as to allow your body to prepare itself to endure the rigors of more running.  Rushing into running almost always ends up with injury.

• Moon Jogger Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 10, 2013
    11,388. Jul 21, 2014 7:49 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

I'm working on building up my mileage and losing weight.  I've got about 50 pounds to lose.  Today I ran 1 1/2 miles without stopping.  I'd like to continue building my endurance and run the Myrtle Beach Marathon in February.  I just signed up for a running challenge next month called August Million Miles Challenge.  I've committed to running 100 for the month, to help the group log 1,000,000 miles for the month.  That will definitely keep my motivated.

Aug 9, 2013
    11,389. Jul 21, 2014 8:27 PM (in response to Moon Jogger)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

Comment #1: your post sounds like SPAM!

Comment #2: if you're really 50 pounds overweight and are serious about running a marathon, I would suggest you forget all about running a marathon in February 2015 and delay running the race until February 2016.

Jul 21, 2014
    11,390. Jul 22, 2014 7:04 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

Well, d1w1 completed and iI have to say that I found the last three runs difficult. It probably didn't help that they were all uphill. Shipo, thanks for the advoce, I wish that I'd have seen it before I went out as my first few 60 second rund were probably too quick, which meant the last three were very tiring.

Still I am happy that I didn't stop and was able to finish. It makes me wonder though how will I be able to manage a full 30 minute run in 9 weeks; I suppose I'll have to wait and see.

Feeling a bit stiff in the legs today, but I'm putting that down to the fact that I haven't exercised in a long time and also that I have to run on roads as, unfortunately there is no trail nearby.

Anyways, onward and upwards to d2w1 tomorrow night.

Aug 9, 2013
    11,391. Jul 22, 2014 7:25 AM (in response to Ferrylights)
    200+ Pound Club!

Contratulations on your D1W1 workout. 

Don't worry about nine weeks from now, that week will take care of itself when you get there (even if it takes a few extra weeks).  The good news is that the human body is an amazingly adaptive machine, push it incrementally and slowly, and it will get stronger as you challenge it.

As for feeling a bit stiff, that's a good thing.

Jul 21, 2014
    11,392. Jul 28, 2014 12:34 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

Week 1 - completed!! Although I found the going quite tough, I have to say that I'm chuffed for sticking at it and finishing all of the runs . I know that it's only the first week, but hey it's a start.

I'm not a particularly competitive person against other people but I am against myself, if that makes any sense, which means I probably push a little too hard for my current level of fitness. Over the three workouts I averagred around 2.3 miles and didn't take any more than the 30minutes. I will have to try anbd regulate my pace for future weeks as if I try to keep that pace up for the longer runs I think I'll be in trouble.

I suppose I'll have to wait and see. D1W2 starts tonight and I have to say I'm looking forward to it in a strange kind of way.

• CraigGinman Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 30, 2014
    11,393. Jul 30, 2014 1:48 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

I did this race 3 years ago and I loved it.  It helped that I beat my boss.

- Craig Ginman

Jul 21, 2014
    11,394. Aug 11, 2014 7:11 AM (in response to CraigGinman)
    200+ Pound Club!

I completed W3 on Saturday and will be starting W4 this evening - all being well.

Believe it or not I thought that W3 was, relatively straightforward, so much so that after I had completed the last 3 minute run and walk I put in an additional 2 minute run on each day. Although I felt that this was within my ability I would not have done it if I felt I would have been pushing myself too hard.

Having looked at what was in front of me for W4 I also felt that it would be a good idea to increase the total time spent running, from 9 minutes in W2 to 11 in W3 as it better prepared me for W4, in which I will run for 16 minutes (if my math is correct)!

I have to say that I am really enjoying running again and can fell some of the weight dropping off, although I'm not watching the scales overly as this is not the main reason for starting running. The weight will hopefully take care of itself when I am able to run longer and more often.

• Ljoy222 Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 12, 2014
    11,395. Aug 12, 2014 11:27 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

I'm new and nervous!! I just signed up for a half marathon! I have 9 months to prepare. I haven't ever been much of a runner but I really want this. Year after year I have watched my weight creep up to 230lbs and this race is just what I needed to help motivate me and give me a goal. I'm just nervous I may have taken a bigger bite than I can handle. Has anyone just jumped right into a half that can give me a little advice?

My friend that will be racing with me and was a huge support to sign up is not new to racing. She's competed in 5 different iron man races and this will pretty much be a walk in the park for her. She is wonderfully supportive but I doubt she's ever been less than super active her whole life.

Aside from her, most of the other people that I have mentioned this to are putting doubt in my head and now I'm terrified that I won't be able to complete the training and make it to the race. I'm letting their doubts weigh me down.

I'm open for some honest feedback - is this too much to do? I feel like I have plenty of time if I just follow the program but I'm hoping someone can say they have done it and where they might have struggled along the way. 

• justamaniac Pro 187 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    11,396. Aug 12, 2014 5:11 PM (in response to Ljoy222)
    200+ Pound Club!

You've met the first challenge by accepting the challenge... You mentioned that you really want this, so here's your chance to go get it.

I jumped from having only run 3 miles at a time to a HM and thought that I might as well have been trying to get to the moon. I didn't think it would be possible, but I did. I even managed to tear my calf muscle (a micro-tear) in the middle of training, but I recovered and ran the event anyway. Stick to your training program, don't worry about speed, just get the miles done. The training may be hard and arduous, but the event itself is the party. You will have a blast.

Best of luck!

-b

http://runningthrutime.blogspot.com

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,387 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    11,397. Aug 12, 2014 7:32 PM (in response to Ljoy222)
    200+ Pound Club!

Well, you've bitten off a good-size chunk, but it certainly is doable.  Providing you're not expecting to set a world record or anything like that.  Do you have a plan already?  The main thing will be to train slowly and progressively.  You basically have 39 weeks.  I would suggest starting with something like C25K (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml).  That's 9 weeks (hopefully), leaving 30 weeks to build your weekly mileage to something around 25 miles per week with a long run in the 10 to 14 mile range, depending on how your training goes and how much of a long run you want to do before the race.  Again the key is to increase weekly mileage at a moderate rate (10% per week) and avoid speedwork altogether.  You really want to get to the start uninjured.  Speedwork and large mileage increases are two of the easiest ways to get hurt.  There are good half-marathon training plans available online.  You could take a look at Hal Higdon's Novice-1 (http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program) or Novice-2 (http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51312/Half-Marathon-Novice-2-Training-Program).  He offers a lot of general training advice in the introduction to each plan.  Both are 12 weeks and suggest a shorter race (5K or 10K) at weeks 6 and 9.

When I ran my first half, I had been running at a very recreational level (12 - 15 miles per week) for a year or so.  My longest run prior to the race was a 10K.  That's longest run, not longest race - though they were one and the same.

Good luck.  And remember - injury free.

Len

1 ... 756 757 758 759 760 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...