Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6135 Views 25 Replies Latest reply: Sep 4, 2014 8:54 AM by Kelly1066 Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • dipez28 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 29, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jul 30, 2014 12:08 PM (in response to FoxPaws)
    Re: Finally got off my big butt... Started C25k

You are doing awesome!!! Very inspirational! Don't give up! Remember that feeling of accomplishment at the end of each workout! Use that as motivation! Don't worry about your pace, inch by inch! So proud of you and keeping you in my prayers to aid in motivation!!

• OldSteve Amateur 22 posts since
    Jul 12, 2014
    16. Jul 30, 2014 12:28 PM (in response to FoxPaws)
    Finally got off my big butt... Started C25k

The wife and I are doing the C25K together and we are on Day 3 of Week 2. Week 2 has been murder but doable without changing anything. But there is one thing I see repeated time and time again in this forum is that rest is as important as the running part when starting out. Maybe your feet are hurting because you are not getting enough rest? I cannot run two days back to back without bad pain but by the second day I'm fine but I'm getting too much rest due to wife not being able to leave work in time some days, causing us to miss 2 or 3 days at a time. I guess I will have to start running/working out without her to be able to keep to my schedule.

• GenesMachine Amateur 10 posts since
    Jul 17, 2012
    17. Jul 30, 2014 1:45 PM (in response to FoxPaws)

You can repeat the week if you need to. Keep your eye on the big test in week 5 day 3, run 2 miles no walking.

• Micheller324 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 13, 2012
    18. Jul 30, 2014 9:00 PM (in response to FoxPaws)

You can totally do it!  Check out Jeff Galloway's books.  He is a 1970-something olympic runner.  He is a big proponent for the Run/Walk method and still uses it.  Finding his book helped me get through my first 5K.  The C25K app helped too :o)  And now I'm gearing up for my first 10K!

Keep up the great work!

• KindOfABigDeal Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 1, 2012
    20. Aug 1, 2014 9:35 AM (in response to FoxPaws)

New shoes are always a great place to start when dealing with lower leg pain.  There is tons of advice out there for shin splint pain and how to deal with it.  Just take it slow and easy, I know it's frustrating and it feels like a bit of a set back (I've been there too), but that's just part of the game sometimes.  Once you get things figured out you'll be healthier and happier and this will just be a minor bump in the road.  Stay positive and stay committed and you'll be able to acomplish your goals!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    21. Aug 1, 2014 7:05 PM (in response to FoxPaws)

Foxpaws, this is not what traditionally is called shin splints (much more likely to involve the tibialis anterior, for instance).  The first two muscles you mention might be involved, the last not so much.  How far the pain goes up your leg is not so important.  Both are involved in dorsiflexion, that is, pulling your foot up toward your shin.  Exercises to strengthen those muscles may help.  Such as sitting with your feet well off the floor, with light weights on them, and alternately lifting and lowering your feet/toes (pivoting at the ankle).  Another option is to post this symptom in The Med Tent, where you are likely to get a more informed response from people who know the human body better than I do.

Len

• SanJuanita Rookie 3 posts since
    Sep 28, 2011
    22. Aug 13, 2014 8:07 AM (in response to FoxPaws)

I would like to get started doing this. But don't know how. Where do I get a schedue to go by or sign up for this c25k and oh what is a c25k anyway? I am so out of the loop.. lol.. I jsut want to you are doing so great you are an inspiration to me.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    23. Aug 13, 2014 9:18 AM (in response to SanJuanita)

The original is at http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml.  More info can be found at http://www.c25k.com/.

Len

• Banishing-Bertha Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 1, 2014
    24. Sep 3, 2014 2:14 PM (in response to FoxPaws)

Foxpaws...great effort - keep it up.  Hope your wife joins you.  I'm trying to get my husband to get out and walk but he works outside all day and can't stand the heat.

Great idea to go to running stores to be fitted for shoes.  Be sure to tell them what you are doing and where you are hurting.  They should recommend some type of inserts.  The cheapest thing on running shoes is the insert and should be removed and replaced with a better one.  I have a bad foot and I use Orthaheel inserts and LOVE them.  I overpronate (my husband says it looks like I'm walking on my ankle).  Running shoes and inserts did the trick.  I also have torsal tunnel (like carpal but in the foot) and arthritis in my foot.  Icing after longer walks does the trick (and wearing running shoes ALL the time).

You probably should be taking a break in between walking days.  I find that if I walk 3 days a week and sometimes a fourth that I don't have the pain.  I'm also overweight and out-of-shape and have been walking for 2 months.  I don't run - yet.  I'm going to start the C25K training. 

One piece of advice... walking outside is different than walking on a treadmill.  I "trained" on a treadmill for my first 5K.  The week before I went outside and walked.  Dang...I couldn't do the 5K - wasn't ready.  The heat/humidity about did me in.  Since that day, I've been walking outside.  The first week, I thought I'd die after the first mile (prayed all the home!).  Now I walk 3 miles a day (average 18 minute mile).  Going to walk my first 5K in a few weeks.

Keep up the hard work but don't push so hard that you give up.  Listen to your body and take a day of rest when you need to.  If you hurt too much you'll liable to give up.  I actually look forward to walking in the morning.

• Kelly1066 Pro 133 posts since
    Jul 12, 2012
    25. Sep 4, 2014 8:54 AM (in response to FoxPaws)

That's great that you have time to get there!  When I did Couch 2 5k, I sometimes didn't progress as fast as the program thought I should.  I just repeated the last workout the next time until I got there.  I did, and I ran my first 5k, and I never stopped!  I'm now training for my fourth half marathon, and I don't care how slow I run compared to other people I know who run the same number of miles a week as I do, because I remember what it was like to just hope, hope, hope that I could get to the point where I could jog 3.1 miles without stopping.

I did, and it completely changed my life.  I'm happier, I'm healthier and I love what running does for my mood - it's become a huge part of my life.

My neighbor saw me doing Couch to 5k and SHE started a week after I did.  That was the summer of 2012, and I still see her going out for a 3 mile run four mornings a week, like clockwork.

She and I both decided to do it, and we've taken it different places, and I love that.  For me, half marathons are my new thing.  For her, running four days a week and living a healthier lifestyle is the most fulfilling.

You're at the start of something amazing... and when it's hard, or it's frustrating, or you have a set back, please know that we did, too.  Sometimes I took a break from running for a few days or even a week, but I always came back to it, and I made two steps forward for every step back and here I am!

Good luck and happy running

I write a running blog geared towards other new runners at http://www.iamrunningthis.com!

Couch to 5K graduate, September 2012

First 10K, June 2nd, 2013

First Half Marathon, September 2013

Twitter: @iamrunningthis

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...