Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2004 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Sep 24, 2014 10:52 AM by Lindsay67
TJH1020 Rookie 4 posts since
Aug 19, 2014
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 19, 2014 5:03 PM

New member / late comeback

Hello,

With the help and encouragement of my kids, I am getting back to running after 23 years away from it. I am almost 53 and in reasonably good shape yet and used to run pretty well in anything from one mile to 10K's. Can anyone recommend a good way for me to ease back in?

TJ

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,400 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
  • Kelly1066 Pro 123 posts since
    Jul 12, 2012
    2. Aug 20, 2014 5:19 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

Couldn't agree more - I did couch to 5k when my second son was four months old, half the time pushing the jogging stroller with my OTHER son, and I never ever thought I'd be able to get to the point where I could run 3 miles without stopping but the program worked wonders.  It's just challenging enough to make progress, not so challenging you can't do it.  (If you find otherwise, slow down and make sure you're jogging not sprinting during the running portions)

I'm now training for my fourth half marathon.

I recommend C25k to everyone - and if you used to run, it'll probably be even easier for you to complete!

I write a running blog geared towards other new runners at http://www.iamrunningthis.com!

Couch to 5K graduate, September 2012

First 10K, June 2nd, 2013

First Half Marathon, September 2013

Twitter: @iamrunningthis

• Toneka Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 20, 2014
    3. Aug 22, 2014 1:13 PM (in response to TJH1020)

Try the couch to 5 k program , looks like a good way to start out and I started it yesterday

• timbrown7573 Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 25, 2013
    6. Sep 4, 2014 5:40 AM (in response to TJH1020)

Progression - NO RUSH , 1/4 mile 2x / day, at comfortable pace, GRADUALLY increase distance and comfortable pace, as you lose weight the pace will quicken. SHORT HILL SPRINTS - if you plan to race , 15 -20 seconds on sledding hill or some such incline - with LONG rest between the 6-12 ( gradual build up) reps. Done at 90-95% effort. This is strictly for biomechanics - to lengthen your stride. As you age , the stride shortens, this postpones / delays / HELPS overcome this.

Speed work ?  100 yards up to????.... if 5k racing desired IF racing desired at all. Recover with slow jog or walk if need be. 8-12 reps as you can handle it AFTER about 4 months gradual build up to whatever mileage you can enjoy. ENJOY being the key word. ( my best speed work at geezer age are the 220's at 37 pace - right at 5:00/ mile pace, with 220 jog recovery. up to 12 of them - others our age do that with faster 400's ! )    You can do fartlek, just warm up good on the roadwork - 2 miles is my preference - , then " See what's under the hood" with various short distances from 25 steps ( counting left foot strike only , equaling 50 actual steps for shortest pace increase) up to 100 which should be close to a 1/4 mile.

What are your goals?  I started again at age 50, after 6 years ran an 18:26 5k, 5:27 mile and hope to improve both this year, and am on target.  My average week lately is around 55 miles at around 8:00 / mile. Some days in the 7:30's with no added effort, just good days.  REST is key, recover. Take a day off when you are disintegrating - which may be 1x / 3 - 7 days .

I listened to Pete Magill online for some of this. He broke 15 min 5k at age 49.  that is around 4:54 pace / mile.

Injury? rest - ice - compression - elevation.   If you have a goal race to enter, and are SLIGHTLY injured, don't train on that injury, don't race injured, don't let goals ruin enjoyment .  Missing 4 months due to achilles injury this year was avoidable. Took 4 months to recover to previous condition, after gaining - and losing - 15 pounds too.

rarely i substitute a long bike ride, at a pace that pushes myself, for a run .  treadmill was ok until i learned how to almost pass out after twisting ankle by going a tad too far left on the contraption - concentration waned , had 4 areas of bruising , and instant swelling.  Sticking with the bike and pull ups at planet fitness if i go there during thunderstorms or blizzards.

Back in the day Nike was the shoe, now it's Brooks.. Brooks Ravenna 4 currently is my pain free training shoe. I do have Nike's for track / race, but only because of price at local mall, and they don't hurt for short races .

Set a reasonable, realistic goal : distance , weight , racing ? , look up websites that can calculate what you may be able to race at based on current race times is fun, and one site i found is quite accurate. Say your mile is 5:34, it calculates to an 18:45 5k.  Mile is 8:30 , then 5k should be around 28:55 for a 53 year old.

what were your pr's back in the day? 

Enjoy, Tim

• Lindsay67 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 23, 2014
    8. Sep 24, 2014 10:52 AM (in response to TJH1020)

Hey,  The couch to 5K is the way to go.  about 15 years ago I did the couch to 5K and worked right up to running a few half marathons.  I stopped....for who knows what reason and proceeded to pack on the pounds....like now well over 260 at 5 foot 8.  I have reciently started back on a more healthy regieme including diet improvements and most reciently back into a running program.  There was no question.  c25K was the first and only choice.  A program that can take you though getting back to a 5 K level and sets the ground work for moving on...without ever injuring myself is a good program.  Highly reccomend this one.

lindsay

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...