Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

327667 Views 1,936 Replies Latest reply: Aug 27, 2014 6:32 AM by Banishing-Bertha Go to original post 1 ... 126 127 128 129 130 Previous Next
  • JanisHatch Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 5, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    1,920. Jul 31, 2014 8:59 AM (in response to AnnCarbone)
    Re: Are you over fifty and doing the C25k?

I am 54 also and didn't start running until I was 49.  Early on I was plagued by injuries, typically from increasing intensity or distance too quickly.  I completely agree with your assessment of HIIT.    I have recently started running some intervals on a treadmill, 1 minute at 6mph followed by 1 minute walking at 4mph.  Prior to this my exercise was on an ellyptical.  It is great to have friends to do this with.  We have recently moved to Boulder, CO which is such a runner's mecca.  The thought of getting on the trails is a little bit intimidating.  I hope to find a group of newbies to run with soon.

• Gnomebody Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 13, 2014
    1,921. Aug 6, 2014 12:25 PM (in response to disneygal2)
    Are you over fifty and doing the C25k?

Hi All:

I'm 50 and decided to celebrate my getting to 50 1/2 by starting a Couch to Running program.  I'm now starting week 8 of 10, and I'm loving it more and more!  Those first couple of weeks were tough, using muscles I haven't used in awhile, but I got through it, and I look forward to those running days.  I'm also significantly overweight, and I am pretty surprised how well the old body is holding up.  I do a lot of walking with my dogs (all 200 lbs of them ), and I dance as well. So adding running to my regimen has been a big plus in my energy level.  I used to do long distance cycling back in the day, and when I was too tired to pedal or faced a big hill,  I always had the mantra that I would never let that bike beat me.  I feel the same for running.  Yeah, there are days when I'm tired or sore, but I have a goal - I may not be fast (yet), but I am going to finish!! At the beginning of September I begin a 5k training program, which ends just two weeks before my first 5k in November. I am so excited!  I have really enjoyed reading all your comments and suggestions.

LisaW

• OldSteve Amateur 22 posts since
    Jul 12, 2014
    1,922. Aug 8, 2014 6:33 PM (in response to disneygal2)

Finished Week 3, Day 3 tonight and for the first time I hit that proverbial wall people talk about with 30 seconds left of the final run (3 minutes). Literally ran out of air and had to stop running...err....slow jogging. I'm guessing our pace is about 4.5 to 5 mph (the c25k app does not always register correctly on the small indoor track at out gym). This was the first time I could not complete the whole session since day 1. Next week we'll be repeating week 3 as there is no way for me to do a 5 min run at this point.

Someone please tell me that this passes and longer runs become a lot easier?

So far the typical pains everyone talks about have been workable and usually quickly fade. But I have started experiencing shin pain after running and on rest days. It's slowly getting worse but never hurts while running. I hope this too passes with time?

Something the wife and I are both experiencing is that running slow hurts our legs more. I've been trying to keep is slow as per everyone's advice here. When we pick up the pace a little, I run out of wind too quick. Having a hard time finding that right pace.

• NeoStoic Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 1, 2013
    1,923. Aug 9, 2014 2:21 PM (in response to OldSteve)

Hello everyone,

Just finished Week 7 yesterday.  I am a 53 year old male, living in the High Desert of California.   I've done the program before, back in 2007. Various things happened, and I fell away from running.  Now I'm back, with renewed determination.  I ran my third  mud run July 27th, and thanks to the program, I cut my time in half!   OldSteve, I don't know if you've tried this, but one of the things that helped me with shin pain was adapting a mid-foot stride. That, and doing "stork stretches" after my runs, grabbing my foot way out on the ends of my my toes to stretch the shin muscles as well as the quads. You may find the book "Chi Running" helpful. Some parts of the book are a little "woo woo" but the running advice is solid.

HIH,

Ed

Sweat is Fat Crying....

Jul 12, 2014
    1,924. Aug 9, 2014 5:36 PM (in response to NeoStoic)

I started using the mid-foot stride right away when we started the c25k, thanks to the advice I found here. But I've been very bad about streching after running and I need to break that bad habit. We are also planning to buy a foam roller next weekend, plus I'm sure good running shoes would help a lot also. Right now the pain is more of an anoyance when resting. I just don't want it to get to the point I have to stop running. Prevention is better then recovery.

• kkinz Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 23, 2011
    1,925. Aug 13, 2014 8:21 AM (in response to disneygal2)

Hi - I started running at 50, did 3 5Ks, stopped running, repeated for 51, 52, 53 and now, at 54, am about to start week 9 of C25K.  Have signed up for 3 races to keep me going.  I try to run 3x/week and walk 2x in between, but am having a lot of trouble staying motivated.  The problem?  I'm not noticing any change in endurance or speed (11.30/mile is average).  I've considered doing 5K-10K next, just to keep it going, but motivation is a huge issue. 

Any advice?  Help? 

Kim

• JoeFratena Rookie 4 posts since
    Aug 4, 2014
    1,926. Aug 14, 2014 10:46 AM (in response to OldSteve)

Steve,

I am not a doctor nor an expert. When it's time for new shoes I will get pain (extreme soreness) in my ankles that gradually moves up the leg. I will not feel it while running, but that night it will hit. When I swap shoes within 2 days I'll feel fine. I only say this because you mentioned needing to get shoes. You should be able to get into some good Asics for $60 or so, no need to spend $120 or more on something fancy. Oh, and I rarely stretch after runs, sometimes I do a little but only if I feel extra tight. Basically, don't beat yourself up over not doing it. Keep up the great work!!!!

My credentials are I run 25-30 miles per week and an official 5k each month. There are more knowledgable people on this board but I felt compelled to offer my two cents. 

Jul 12, 2014
    1,927. Aug 14, 2014 3:18 PM (in response to JoeFratena)

LOL, I'll be excited to just be able to run for 25 minutes, much less miles. But I'll get there with time.......hopefully.

My feet and ankles have always bothered me if I spend too much time on my feet. When I use to work 12 hr shifts walking on hard concrete floors, they use to scream at me when I would get up out of bed. But so far, the aches and pains are getting better and even so my shoes were not "designed" for running (more cross training), they are very padded and getting more comfortable....but squeaky I may stick with them for a while as they seam to be holding up.

I have a hard time remembering that I'm not 25 again and that I'm starting to run for the first time in my life at age 51. Plus I'm about 40 to 50 pounds overweight, which is not helping either. I am starting realizing that it's going to take a little longer to meet my goals that made me look to start running. But the wife and I are both in the gym, together, 5 nights a week. Three running and two pushing weights. She also working with a trainer once a week. It's a busy gym and I can count on one hand how many people our age are there at that time. But I knew if I wanted to meet my goal of returning to law enforcement at this age, it would take a tremendous amount of work to get ready.

We are repeating week 3 of c25k this week. Last week I barely was able to finish the runs each day. Last night it was a big struggle to finish Day 2 but I felt better then I have at the end. Not sure if we are ready yet for week 4.

• JoeFratena Rookie 4 posts since
    Aug 4, 2014
    1,928. Aug 15, 2014 7:33 AM (in response to OldSteve)

"We are repeating week 3 of c25k this week. Last week I barely was able to finish the runs each day. Last night it was a big struggle to finish Day 2 but I felt better then I have at the end. Not sure if we are ready yet for week 4."

It took me 4 tries at c25k before I finished. When I first started I could not run for a minute straight. this was only 2 years ago. I was in rough shape. I still remember the euphoria I felt when I ran (very slow jog) for 20mins straight! I went by time instead of distance.

I now have a Sunday running group made up of guys in their 60's that can smoke me - it's never too late. Keep up the good work.

Jul 12, 2014
    1,929. Aug 15, 2014 1:25 PM (in response to JoeFratena)

Thanks Joe. Thankfully I started walking regularly a couple of months ago, well really more then a year ago but we moved in the middle of that and the exercising had to wait. I expected this to be a challenge, just not this bad. I do feel I'm making progress, although slowly. We will complete this as I'm getting tired of Friday evening at the gym. At least it's not crowded then. haha

• DanielLowney0 Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 17, 2014
    1,930. Aug 17, 2014 6:24 AM (in response to disneygal2)

50.5 years old.  Have not run or joged in 25+ years. today was day 1 and although it was tough, it was great to get a sweat going. I've been riding a bike regularly for year but wanted to up the ante and get some foot miles in. Hopefully the knees will hold out through the program and beyond.

Jul 12, 2014
    1,931. Aug 24, 2014 4:47 PM (in response to OldSteve)

My latest update, week 4 done but was not able to complete any of the workouts in full. So we will be repeating week 4 again next week. My best day I was able to get a little over 4 minutes of the 1st 5-min run and a little over 3 in the 2nd one. My legs start turning to lead bricks around the 3 min mark. Plus ankle, knee and shin pain really starts hitting at 4 min. But my cardio is improving quickly now and recovery after each run is getting better. I think throwing in some extra running in the mornings around the apartment complex was too much just yet. I used ice packs last night after the latest session and that helped tremendously with the pain in my shins, knees and ankles.

The wife bought me some new running shoes last week and almost had to take them back after only wearing them for 2 hrs. But I pulled the original insoles out and put in some jell insoles and man did that make a huge difference! My next pair of shoes I may splurge and get the high end ones with extra thick jell soles, too pricey right now. Just the shoes alone helped me break the 3 min wall I was hitting.

Today, the wife and I went to the gym for our regular weight lifting routine and I added in some new excerises that work the hip flexers and hamstrings, plus lots of squats. Plus I have a list of other excerisies I got from an article from Runner's World I'll be adding to my workout. I think I'll work on these instead of extra running for a couple of weeks and see if that helps with the leg pains and hopefully improve my running endurance also.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,432 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1,932. Aug 25, 2014 7:13 AM (in response to OldSteve)

Sounds like a case of "too much, too fast, too soon".  Re-read the part of the plan that says "Be sure to space out these three days throughout the week to give yourself a chance to rest and recover between efforts."  Then there's "...  throwing in some extra running in the mornings around the apartment complex ..."  No, not a good idea at all.  Too much leg work during your gym sessions may also be hurting more than helping.  And remember this: "...don't worry about how fast you're going. Running faster can wait until your bones are stronger and your body is fitter."  All those aches and pains and "lead brick" legs during your runs probably indicate an excess of speed ... or attempted speed at least.  In short - take a couple steps back and think about what you're trying to do.  Realize that it can't all happen in a few short weeks - it won't happen all at once.  Stepwise, gradual, is the name of the game.

Len

Jul 12, 2014
    1,933. Aug 25, 2014 11:07 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

Speed is definitely not the problem. lol, Walkers are passing us while we jog. The average rate is less then 3 mph. We have been keeping it slow on purpose so as to avoid injury. And until yesterday, we haven't been doing any leg work yet while working out, so that has not been a problem yet. I was just badly out of shape when we started and it's taking longer then I expected to get back into reasonable shape.

I know I'm pushing myself harder then I probably should but I'm still not meeting the full workout of the program and I have a quickly approaching deadline for potential employment that requires running and other physical testing. I either pass these testing requirements or I do not get the job.

Back to the speed issue, it seams that going slow is causing more pain in our knees. We speed up a little and that goes away for both of us. But if we go too fast I run out of wind too soon. Either way, I'm pushing to my very max with each run. If it's not leg pain or the lead bricks stopping me, it's running out of air. I am improving, I can feel it each time we run. And most of my leg pain is after I get home or the next day. I'm really hoping that using the ice packs and new exercises really help for the after workout pain and we plan to get a foam roller this weekend.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,432 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1,934. Aug 25, 2014 12:33 PM (in response to OldSteve)

Well, you know your body best.  We can only judge and advise by what we read here.  I've had that experience with the "just right" speed.  Of course, you still have to be able to maintain it.  I hate to say it, but you may have simply bitten off more than you can chew, given the time constraints for testing.  Good luck at any rate.

Len

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...