Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2015 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2014 2:47 PM by LoriJean1962
Amy8241 Rookie 6 posts since
Aug 24, 2014
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 24, 2014 2:51 PM

New and want to say Hi

Hello everyone,

I am new to this site and thread and to the running too. I am a working mom of three kids with a very busy schedule. i started walking and running just to have some my time and started loviing it. I have done one 5k which did not go very well. Although i did finish it, but it made me realize how unhealthy i am? and that is what motivated me to more walking and right now i am training myself for the 8K in october. I am hoping to find lots of support and motivation here and would love to take any advice from you all.

• justamaniac Legend 208 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    1. Aug 24, 2014 5:24 PM (in response to Amy8241)
    New and want to say Hi

The key is to keep moving and to get involved with other people that are running / walking.  Congrats on signing up for the 8K.  Train for it as if it were the event of the year.  Make it a priority. Don't worry about your speed, but rather focus on having the endurance to go the distance, and cross the finish line proud.

Best of luck to you, and keep running!

-b

http://runningthrutime.blogspot.com

• NrsGingersnap Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 25, 2014
    2. Aug 25, 2014 12:16 PM (in response to Amy8241)
    New and want to say Hi

Heyyyy working single mom of 2 here and I got no clue what I'm doing I'm just doing what that ap tells me haha! I'm just finished day 1 of week 3 and although I'm better off now than I was, I looked ahead at week 4 and I'm already dreading it lol!

• Kelly1066 Pro 133 posts since
    Jul 12, 2012
    3. Aug 25, 2014 2:37 PM (in response to NrsGingersnap)
    New and want to say Hi

I'm a mother of 2 also and I did the same thing and it CHANGED MY LIFE - can't tell you how much I've loved running and how good it is when you're a parent and life is insane and you need that energy boost and exercise endorphins to make it through the craziness.

Congrats and run on!!!

I write a running blog geared towards other new runners at http://www.iamrunningthis.com!

Couch to 5K graduate, September 2012

First 10K, June 2nd, 2013

First Half Marathon, September 2013

Twitter: @iamrunningthis

• Kelly1066 Pro 133 posts since
    Jul 12, 2012
    6. Sep 18, 2014 1:40 PM (in response to Amy8241)
    New and want to say Hi

Thanks for reading!  So... how's the training for the 8k coming?  It's almost October!  Are you excited?

I write a running blog geared towards other new runners at http://www.iamrunningthis.com!

Couch to 5K graduate, September 2012

First 10K, June 2nd, 2013

First Half Marathon, September 2013

Twitter: @iamrunningthis

• StevenKirchgasler0 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 7, 2014
    7. Sep 24, 2014 12:23 PM (in response to Amy8241)
    New and want to say Hi

Amy,

I would like to commend you for taking steps to become more fit and healthier. I am 61 and when I hit my 60th birthday I wanted to commemorate it with something worthwhile so I signed up for a 5K and trained for it for about 4 months. (I was pretty out of shape) I felt like it went well for my very first race. I kept up the training and my daughter and I signed up for a 1/2 marathon relay last fall. It was both rewarding and fun to do this with my oldest daughter. I live in a climate with cold/snowy winters so I nose-dived after that and did not even do any treadmill work. Well...fast forward to this summer. I knew I needed something to motivate me so I signed myself up for a 10K and started training in July. The race is this Saturday (9/27) and I am both ready and excited about it. I never entertain illusions of winning any of these races, I just set personal goals and try my best to obtain them. The goals I set for myself are not easy but they're achievable and they push me to do my best. Good luck with your running and never get discouraged. Doing something is far better than sitting on the couch,,,right?

Steve

• thecongajc Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 13, 2014
    8. Oct 13, 2014 6:55 PM (in response to Amy8241)
    New and want to say Hi

Thanks!

• BruceHealy Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 13, 2014
    9. Oct 13, 2014 10:34 PM (in response to Amy8241)
    New and want to say Hi

I kept up the training and my daughter and I signed up for a 1/2 marathon relay last fall. It was both rewarding and fun to do this with my oldest daughter.can't tell you how much I've loved running

• salmagomes Rookie 7 posts since
    Nov 20, 2014
    11. Nov 20, 2014 4:45 AM (in response to Amy8241)
    New and want to say Hi

Hi, I'm new to the site and just loving it! Can anyone suggest me how to get rid of the knee and waist pain after a run? I run almost 5k every alternative day and get these pains! ...help please.

• Mair_H Amateur 23 posts since
    Feb 12, 2014
    12. Nov 21, 2014 12:19 PM (in response to Amy8241)
    New and want to say Hi

Hi, working mother of 5 over here - but my kids are older and self-sufficient. 

Congrats on the 8K and the future half marathon.  I ran my first half marathon last month and have signed up for another in February. 

I'm with you - running is awesome. 

• LoriJean1962 Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 2, 2014
    13. Dec 3, 2014 2:47 PM (in response to Amy8241)
    New and want to say Hi

Hi, I'm new too.  I'm on week one of the C25K plan, so far so good.  I really need to buy some running shoes.  I have bad feet and wear clunky orthopedic shoes that just aren't flexible enough.  Anyone else here with bad feet?  Would love to know what shoes you are using.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...