Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

326789 Views 1,936 Replies Latest reply: Aug 27, 2014 6:32 AM by Banishing-Bertha Go to original post 1 ... 126 127 128 129 130 Previous Next
  • OldSteve Amateur 22 posts since
    Jul 12, 2014
    Currently Being Moderated
    1,935. Aug 25, 2014 9:45 PM (in response to lenzlaw)
    Are you over fifty and doing the C25k?

I've been biting off more then I can chew all my life. It's just another obstacle to get over and I'll find a way.

I am cutting out the extra runs (for now) and spend more time of the hip-flexor excerises for the next couple of weeks and see if that works to strengthen my legs and reduce the after-work out pains. But I was able to run 5 min's tonight for the first time ever. We started week 5 by accident tonight with the plan to redo week 4 again. Week 5 starts you out with a 5 min run and I was able to complete it and then 4 min's in the next run. We stopped at that point as we were both really tired from hitting the gym twice this weekend. Tomorrow we'll take a break and try it again Wednesday.

I look at it this way, 6 weeks ago I struggled with a 1 min run, 3 weeks ago I could not break the 3 min mark. Tonight I broke the 5 min mark. So I'm making progress, although slowly. And if I do not make this job testing, there are others I have not yet applied for, it will just take a bit longer to get ready.

• Banishing-Bertha Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 1, 2014
    Currently Being Moderated
    1,936. Aug 27, 2014 6:32 AM (in response to disneygal2)
    Are you over fifty and doing the C25k?

I am 51 and overweight (ugh...I hate seeing that in print).  I've been walking for about 2 months.  The first week, I was ready to give up after .75 mile but I was far enough away from home that I had to keep going.  Prayed my way the last .25 mile!  I'm now walking 2-3 miles 3 times a week (sometimes 4).  It's been so humid lately that I'm only making it 2 miles.

I love seeing the progress. When I first started I was panting for air, talking myself into keep going, couldn't pump my arms for more than 30 seconds...now my breathing is so much better, my posture is better, my arms are moving (on their own!), and I don't have to do as much self-talk to finish.

I'm going to try the C25K program but with the extra weight, the running part is going to be tough!  I do enjoy walking - makes me feel so good, especially when I see my blood pressure is going down.  I may get off the meds after all.

Keep it going!

1 ... 126 127 128 129 130 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...