Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4768 Views 21 Replies Latest reply: Feb 17, 2007 9:15 PM by runnincco RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • jerrri Amateur 6 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    16. May 19, 2005 3:14 PM (in response to tajarus)
    Re: Runners Gut

same problem continuing- just moving this topic up to the front of the list for more/new input.

• DEADOCMIKE Pro 129 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    17. May 20, 2005 9:16 AM (in response to tajarus)

After reading all these posts, I am struggling with trying not to be too judgmental. If you are running so much that portions of your colon are becoming necrotic and blood is running down your leg and you don't stop, your colon may not be your biggest issue.

I know that may sound mean, but the whole purpose of this website, and of exercise in general is to promote a healthy lifestyle. Perhaps the above scenario may not be the best thing for you.

• DEADOCMIKE Pro 129 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    18. May 20, 2005 9:20 AM (in response to tajarus)

Just so you will understand I am not some layman spouting medical advice I have heard or read on the internet, please understand that I am a doctor (a pathologist) and I have seen more cases than I can count of ischemic colitis, but they have all been from older people with compromised cardiovascular systems. It is not a sore muscle or a blister. To put it simply, if you bleed when you run, don't run until you find out the cause, and, if it is the running, do something else.

• aprilallyear Rookie 6 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    19. May 20, 2005 2:41 PM (in response to tajarus)

Hello all.  Glad to see more input.

The allergy thing is of interest to me.  I love eggs and dairy products.

I have had some trouble bleeding if I run right after I eat - makes sense because I'm sure my stomach and then legs are competing for blood that needs to go to my colon.

now I don't run unless I have had plenty of time for food to digest - and of course different foods take longer than others.  So a mid-day run gets only a high fiber cereal with fruit, walnuts, and soy milk about 7 AM (no later than 8 am) and then a glass of V-8 an hour or two later (2 hours before the run).  I am still experimenting with this though.

I think one thing to remember before we all get frustrated when things don't always work is that we're dealing with a VERY beat up colon and it needs time and lots of hydration to heal. So run slow enough not to trigger anything (you will get your speed back) and drink water throughout your run.

I have to remind myself that I am in this for the long haul - not for this year alone.  This is very hard to do.

Please keep me (us) informed of your successes - we've got to figure this out!

• whitbya Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    20. Jun 1, 2005 11:15 AM (in response to tajarus)

thank you!!

my boyfriend has just had similar symptoms, off to see a dr now.....

• runnincco Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    21. Feb 17, 2007 9:15 PM (in response to tajarus)

i have learned a few things along my journey to a marathon that have helped reduce my frequency and bleeding but have not found anything to stop if completely.  my doctor noted that he has the same problem and keeps a port-a-potty or bush nearby but not many suggestions beyond this.  i have cut out the protein bars with fiber, no caffeine the day of, cut down on fruits,veggies,and fiber the day of, not eating anything within 3 to 4 hrs before a run,trying to go the bathroom before i run, and no tight clothes or drawstrings on my stomach.  i have not tried the anti-diarrhea medications but at this point willing to try anything.  my "boiling" point is also around 5 or 6 and hoping to find some miracle to someday complete a marathon.  i am going to attempt a half in about 2 months and will try anything at this point.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...