Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1635 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Nov 26, 2007 12:40 PM by dg12 RSS
notredame_mba@hotmail.com Rookie 1 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 6, 2007 3:53 PM

Lost runner's high?

I'm 33 years old and it seems for the last several years that I have completely lost the runner's high that I used to get.  I never really ran long enough to feel it before about 26 when I ran a lot of marathon training with a friend and then trained for my first marathon.  I would get that run forever feeling and long runs were great.  I've since trained for one marathon a year and ran an Ironman about 18 months ago and long runs, and lately any run, is just not fun.  I generally have a tendency to push myself very hard, so I have tried to slow down to enjoy a good workout.  I have also consistently slowed down despite regular running and training.  I know getting older doesn't help, but I'm not that old.  Has anyone else experience the same thing, or are there any thoughts?  I have taken some breaks from training, especially after the IM and a marathon a month later, and I've really slowed down now.  Am I just in that bad of shape from the time off?  Do I need to slow down and not push so as not to overtrain?  Do I need to push myself to regain my strength and endurance? 

Thanks,

steve

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    Re: Lost runner's high?

might need an extended break to get that feeling back.  this should be fun not a job. unless of course you are that fast

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• irungrl Pro 153 posts since
    Jul 3, 2007

Hey Steve,

First off welcome to the board! Sounds like you have a classic case of burn out.  I agree with Joe, take some time off until you get that fire in your belly again to get back out on the roads.  Let your passion for running lure you back again, and with that rekindled passion will come the missed feeling of being and your last mile in a run with your legs and body screaming to go longer.

Good luck...

• matlombardi Pro 93 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007

I guess I agree. Quit running and see if it calls you back. I had a hamstring that put me out of commission for almost 2 years. It was great not having to run, but after a while I started seeing other runners and I would get jealous. I remembered how much I loved running.

I have been back for over a year now and still struggle with going out for those annoying runs during the week. When that happens now I just remember not running.

mat

• yo-sal Pro 260 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007

What's anybody talking about?  I've been running ten years.  I run hard,  usually take age group awards, and I have never felt blissfully high from running. What am i missing? Running makes me celebrate life and my good fortune to be so healthy, but the only time I feel other-wordly is when i stop; when I'm done and the sweat is rolling off me and I'm thinking of lasagna, cookies, gallons of orange juice...

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    you're missing out

wow look at all the pretty colors

actually never got really high but running does often elevate my mood quite a bit

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

Jul 3, 2007

if high means "high" then I have never been that in the clouds, during or after a run...well maybe after & that was bliss to be done, does that count? However, I have had that "I could run forever" feeling...but i have never tested the desire/feeling to do so.....is it possible that I am stopping before I get my high?

• yesrobert Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007

When I run I tend to have visions of grandeur that tell me what I should do in my life, or dead people start to talk to me or run with me, or other abnormal  things start to occur as soon as I get my running shoes or even look at them. So I feel in your case, and it's just my offering, that maybe the great spirit denies you this door to the other world because you may have gotten some bad jue jue or did something wrong somewhere to someone and until it gets fixed, you will run now eternally without endorphins being injected into your blood stream.

• matlombardi Pro 93 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007

Oooooh, I wanna get me some of that.

Jul 3, 2007

did someone say something about jou jou beas candy? I love those things & the Seinfeld episode with Elaine..to funny!! Happy running yall!

• smo5246 Legend 204 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007

I know what a runner's high feels like to me. I don't feel it when I am running.  I feel it after running a 5 mile tempo run at a pace just 20 seconds per mile slower than 5 mile race pace.  It is a totally relaxed feeling where I feel like kicking back and doing nothing. 

So, my advice is to get back into it and work on a weekly tempo run.  By the way, I have also experienced it after walking at a very quick pace for 1/2 hour or more.

• yo-sal Pro 260 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007

Forget the runner's high -  where can I get shoes like the guy who sees dead people?

• Sammy51581 Amateur 18 posts since
    Nov 24, 2007

I lost my runners high a few years ago when I was forced to take a break because of a torn tendon....Every now and then I get it back, and I notice that it has a lot to do with where I run.  I tend to run better and farther when I run in the woods, and much worse when I run down a long straight road.  I think a change of scenery gets me moving faster, and I get so caught up taking in what I'm seeing that I dont focus on how much farther I "have to go".

• dg12 Amateur 76 posts since
    Jul 12, 2007

You said: I never really ran long enough to feel it before

I read a research article about this one time that suggested it had to do with sustaining a tempo pace as opposed to a distance thing. Running slow and long produces a certain feeling that you can keep running but I think that has more to do with fat burning as fuel that sustains the pace. Runners high is brought about by a chemical produced in the brain beside the well know endorphin. This chemical is same the one released by cannabis. Forget polluting the lungs and run at a 85-90% pace and you might get it again.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...