Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

17817 Views 29 Replies Latest reply: Aug 5, 2012 7:16 PM by Ogr44 Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • jamesgelb Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Sep 28, 2006 4:35 PM (in response to MartinJ99)
    Re: Respectable 5k Finish time

The best way to pick up speed is track and hill work

and fartlek (speed play) during some training runs. Be careful though as you stress the heart more, particularly when older, at the shorter, faster pace races if you race them hard. I hit the track once a week and do 400m 800m and 1mi repeats. I use club races (weekly less formal 5Ks) and race them at sub-fastest pace but push. During a lot of runs, even jogs, I pick up the pace quite a bit

for 1/4-1/2 mi stretches. If you don't do these type

of things your times will saturate quickly (not improve)---however, if your times saturate (don't improve) you are still staying in shape and burning calories. We take for granted where we are and what it takes to stay there.

• chasjill2130 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    16. Oct 29, 2006 6:32 PM (in response to MartinJ99)

Wow!  I am a 49 yr old female and JUST started running in September.  I ran my first 5K Oct. 28 (my 49th birthday!) and came in around 42 minutes, and I never walked!  In comparison to everyone else who responded, I feel REALLY slow.  So to "Respectable", you rock, Dude! 

My goal is a full marathon in January 2008.  When I can get to your level, I'll really feel like I've arrived, and I WILL!

• hydrohitch Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    17. Oct 30, 2006 6:03 PM (in response to MartinJ99)

Hi, I am a male age 40. One year ago I weighed 237 and am 6'-3. I started running a couple times a week and then started to run/work out at our YMCA locally. When the weather broke and spring had sprung, I hit the road running.

My first 5-k race was in July and posted a time of 24:11

My second 5-K was 3 weeks later and posted a time of 22:06

My third 5-K was 2 weekends ago and posted a time of 27:28+/-.

This last race was the best!!! What better feeling is there than running it with your 11 year old daughter and seeing her push herself and being excited with her finish of 27:26.

Congratulations on your time and don't worry about the norm. Reality is, there is none, there's only your Personal record. Try to beat that, not the other young, faster,lighter runners.

Run for yourself, run with passion, run for the high, run for your health.

Signed,

197 lbs.. and hooked

• TheIceCreamMan89 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    18. Nov 5, 2006 7:52 PM (in response to MartinJ99)

I'm in my senior year of Highschool,and I enjoyed the first few weeks of XC,but I got tired of 5k's easily.My best time was a 17:07.9 at an away meet upstate.My best time at Bethpage is a 17:22.Maybe it was the course differences,but Bethpage made 5k's unenjoyable.I'm running my last one there since I missed going to States,but i'm not mad,winter track is comming,and i'm more then ready.I can run under 4:30 for the mile,and its time to push my limits.

• dennismitchell45 Amateur 10 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    19. Nov 6, 2006 2:08 PM (in response to MartinJ99)

I would say that any time that is a new personal record is pretty respectable.  It will only take a few new P.R.'s and you'll be staring at a 20:00 5K.  Keep training hard and be proud that your doing it.  Before long you won't know what to do with all of your medals.  That's respectable!

• Carrjeep Amateur 24 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    20. Apr 1, 2011 10:34 PM (in response to rockyvarg)

Ha ha, 440's?  When's the last time you were at a track? 

J.

• Anaginn3 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 31, 2011
    21. Apr 2, 2011 1:27 AM (in response to MartinJ99)

Hi everyone.... interesting

• yurimoklololoruthig Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 3, 2011
    22. Jun 3, 2011 2:02 PM (in response to MartinJ99)

a 22:20 is very good! i am in high school and a female but i run that time! it takes a lot of work to get there! good job keep pushing you can do anything!!!

• yagerc Amateur 8 posts since
    Aug 22, 2011
    23. Sep 5, 2011 5:01 AM (in response to MartinJ99)

Methinks a respectable finish time is relative.

Like others who have posted on this thread, I'm a relatively new runner with an October 2, 2011 5K in my future.

My goal is to finish my first-ever 5K.  While I am training and working towards impriving my running, for this first 5K, my primary goal is to finish - running the whole way.

While I haven't really focused on my pace/speed, I do know that in the 6 weeks that I've been training, I've improved in both endurance and speed.

The only person I want to do better than is myself.

Cindy

• SoCalTrack Rookie 3 posts since
    Aug 6, 2008
    24. Sep 13, 2011 10:29 AM (in response to MartinJ99)
    Respectable 5k Finish time

I figure anything in the 18s will put you near the front of your age group depending on the size of the race.  If there are a lot of good runners you might have to run in the 16s to win your age group.  You can usually go to the event website and look up last year's winners by age group.

• SoCalTrack Rookie 3 posts since
    Aug 6, 2008
    25. Sep 13, 2011 10:38 AM (in response to Cyclingmaniac2004)

Cyclingmaniac2004,

My advice is to train at multiple paces.  Here are some sample workouts:

3 X 1 mile repeats

4 X 800m intervals

6 X 400m intervals

4 X 200m intervals

4 X 100m intervals

6 X short hills

Each of these would be run in increasingly faster than the previous workout and you can do one of these per week.  Sprinting up hills can make you very fast and strong.

• raf66 Expert 49 posts since
    Jan 15, 2008
    26. Sep 22, 2011 9:34 AM (in response to MartinJ99)

I'll add my $.02 to this very old thread, though it's probably worth a lot less than that.

First, I have never run a 22:something 5K.  If and when I do that, I will declare myself a Kenyan.  Second, I'm 45 years old and am happy running mid to high-20's in a 5K.  Is that respectable?  Probably not to many of you. But to me it is.  You see, my very first 5K was 12 years ago and I "ran" it in 42 minutes.  Yeah, that's a pretty high time and it's probably even worse given that I "ran" the whole thing, never taking any walk breaks.  But see, that was my only goal at that race:  to complete it.  I, of course, hated the fact that middle-aged (and older) heavyset women beat me to the finish line, but I never gave into my temptation of tripping them the last 100 yards or so.  Have I improved that much in the 12 years of on-again off-again running?  Not really.  But I enjoy running more now than I ever have.  I'm much more physically fit than I was.  And at 45 years of age I weigh about what I did in college 20-some-odd years ago. 

In short, the answer to your question of respectability really depends upon whose perspective you're looking through.  While a 22:something 5K is pitiful as compared to world class runners, it's phenomenal compared to most everyone else.  If you're happy with your time, then it's clearly respectable.  And by the way, I respect the heck out of that time.  I'd have to quit after 2 1/2 miles or so to achieve it!   

• xraymoe Rookie 1 posts since
    May 15, 2012
    27. May 15, 2012 7:22 PM (in response to MartinJ99)

The MOST important thing at our age (50 and over) is to have fun and stay active and fit. For the vast majority of us who actually have little things like uh families, jobs, and other minor obligations to attend to, the time nor inclination is not there  to train as we did in our teens and twenties. I once ran in the 17's for a 5k; now my times are around 24 min, which is above average for this age group. My Dr. says I am very fit. Don't let 5k times affect your enjoyment of running.

• NuRunnr Amateur 15 posts since
    Aug 1, 2012
    28. Aug 1, 2012 5:35 PM (in response to MartinJ99)

Every race that I've ever seen has divisions broken up every 10 years or so and awards are given to top three in each div.  So, if it is an award you are after then look at last years result and factor in that most folks got a little faster.   Most high school track kids don't run the 5K, but go for 10K or above.  Those that do, like my son, can do a 5k in 17.5. By why on earth would a 40-50 want to do a 5K under 18?  However, in the 40-50, normally and I mean normally unless you are in an elite race a 20 will place you.  A 22 is doing very, very well and you should be proud of yourself.

• Ogr44 Legend 316 posts since
    May 24, 2008
    29. Aug 5, 2012 7:16 PM (in response to MartinJ99)

Respectable is subjective...I think sub 30 would be fantastic and low 30 min to be quite respectable.  my son would think that sub 17 is respectable  (he is former XC runner and his PR is sub 17 for 5k )  I am 48, former loose head prop - weigh in at 225 currently (down from 250) and have PR around 33min.  Respectable to me is finishing race period.  For folks who wish to finish closer to front of pack Go for It!  I'll stay out of your way  (at least at the start) and give you a thumbs up and a wave if/when you pass me by. 

races in 2013 - Always trying to keep moving

31 Dec 2012: Fairfax 4 miler: 49:34

10 Feb 2013 Run your heart 2013 35:30

Please check out this site: http://www.exceptionalcomfort.blogspot.com/

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...