Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3148 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 10, 2008 7:13 PM by Dawnese
Lucinda48 Amateur 15 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 17, 2006 2:04 PM

Peeing while running x-country

My daughter, 16 yrs old, runs x-country for her highschool.  Sometimes she urinates when she is running a meet, which is of course when she runs her hardest.  She runs about a 22 to 23 minute 3.1 mile race right now and is striving to make it faster.  She is a little embarassed about this, so I was wondering if this is normal for girl runners when they are giving it their all.  Thanks for your input, Cinda

• carolcrc Pro 110 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Sep 18, 2006 5:12 AM (in response to Lucinda48)
    Re: Peeing while running x-country

My daughter also runs cross-country.  While she doesn't seem to have this problem, I'd say at least half the team does, based on the number of Depends handed out as joke awards at the end of the year, and the number of discussions I've heard about the best color of shorts for your uniform - (black is preferred and light colors are NOT).

If it really upsets her, you could have her start doing Kegel exercises (squeezing the muscles down there - try it while urinating to stop/start the flow to get the right muscle group).  About fifty, done several times a day, may help with this (no guarantees though).

• jenhirr Legend 314 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Sep 18, 2006 8:04 AM (in response to Lucinda48)

This doesn't answer your question about whether or not this is normal but my friend who ran x-country told me her coach told the girls to wear panty liners in their shorts.  I've never tried it but she swears it works.

• agiannetti1 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Oct 11, 2006 7:39 AM (in response to Lucinda48)

My daughter has had this happen to her two times now.  And I wonder if wearing poise pads would help.  I'm thinking about having her to try using those.

• carolcrc Pro 110 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Oct 19, 2006 4:46 PM (in response to Lucinda48)

My daughter's cross-country coach laughed a lot when I told her about your question.  It is very common and most XC runners are not embarrassed about it.  Emptying the bladder as much as possible before running helps, so the volume isn't too much for a menstrual pad (ultra-thin ones are easier to run in than thick ones that are designed for incontinence).

• Shawn2006 Amateur 35 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    5. Oct 19, 2006 6:18 PM (in response to Lucinda48)

see attached article

• Dawnese Rookie 5 posts since
    Aug 10, 2008
    6. Aug 10, 2008 7:13 PM (in response to Shawn2006)

I used to have that problem too. Its probably pretty common. When I got nervouse before the race I would have to go bad. I think the panty liner thing is a good idea.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...