Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1377 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Jun 13, 2007 3:54 AM by QuickSilver096 RSS
Kettle Jim Rookie 19 posts since
Feb 22, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 11, 2007 5:10 PM

First Marathon jitters

My first marathon (Grandma's) is this Saturday and I am starting to feel nervous. I lost about 5 weeks of training to injury and I still think I can finish ok but....

A question for you Marathon veterans. How much of the magic of the event...the excitement and crowds and other runners....help to push through the difficulty of the race? Do you find that race day delivers added motivation and encouragement?

Thanks,

Kettle Jim

----

"Running to him was real...it
was all joy and woe, hard as a
diamond, it made him weary
beyond comprehension, but it
also made him free."

• Stevie Ray Lopez Pro 500 posts since
    Dec 3, 2007
    1. Dec 22, 2007 11:17 AM (in response to Kettle Jim)
    Re: First Marathon jitters

oh yeah, it'll help. 

But it is a double-edged sword. When "that" gets into your system, it is very very easy to go out too fast. Which, as you can guess, may swallow you whole a bit later.

I don't know where you lost the 5 weeks along the way nor how you made it up... but take it easy.  Go conservative for the first part... if you feel up to it in the later miles, THEN crank it up.

Edited to add: my post is not at all intended to be negative. Enjoy Grandmas. Good luck.

[http://This message has been edited by srlopez (edited Jun-11-2007).|http://This message has been edited by srlopez (edited Jun-11-2007).]

• Teresa05 Rookie 127 posts since
    May 28, 2006
    3. Jun 11, 2007 8:51 PM (in response to Kettle Jim)

I'm running my first marathon in October, so I don't have any advice or answers for you.  I just want to wish you luck, and I'll look forward to reading your race report.  I hope you have a great time!

• Bugs34 Amateur 598 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Jun 11, 2007 9:08 PM (in response to Kettle Jim)

Hi Jim.

I'll be there on Saturday too. It's my second, and I was injured some of the same weeks you were. Glad we both are going to make it to the starting line!

Are you going to run with a pace group? That would help.

----

Bugs[/URL" target="_blank">

• IceStorm213 Rookie 352 posts since
    Nov 1, 2005
    5. Jun 11, 2007 9:11 PM (in response to Kettle Jim)

I call it the Race Day Miracle.  You'll be shocked at how you respond.  Gets me every time.

• aharmer Rookie 452 posts since
    May 25, 2005
    6. Jun 11, 2007 10:04 PM (in response to Kettle Jim)

quote:

Originally posted by Bugs34:

Hi Jim.

I'll be there on Saturday too. It's my second, and I was injured some of the same weeks you were. Glad we both are going to make it to the starting line!

Are you going to run with a pace group? That would help.

Jim,

Bugs offers great advice. A pace group eliminates a lot of your anxiety and prevents the emotion from ruining your race by going out too fast. I've never run with them but have heard great things. The pace team will have a booth at the expo if you're interested. I'll also be in Duluth, best of luck!

----

My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

"Pain is temporary. Regret hurts forever."
    http://www.hrmarathontraining.blogspot.com/

• Graciemygirl Rookie 27 posts since
    Apr 12, 2005
    7. Jun 11, 2007 10:55 PM (in response to Kettle Jim)

GOOD LUCK AND HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!!

I am training for my first marathon (Chicago) in October...I wish you the best and I will cross my fingers that it cools off for you. I am not sure where you live but I am in WI and it is warm this week so make sure you hydrate well and prepare for a warm race.

Kick some Grandma BUTT!

Angie Drew 
  • bigapplepie Legend 2,455 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    8. Jun 12, 2007 6:53 AM (in response to Kettle Jim)

We all get nervous a few weeks before. Its part of marathonitis.

Come marathon day you won't even remember how nervous you were.

Good luck!

• NateFromRI Rookie 51 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    9. Jun 12, 2007 8:09 AM (in response to Kettle Jim)

I was nervous in my first right up until the starting gun.  The best you can do is be well prepared with everything surrounding the race.  Make a list of everything you'll need and what you need to do, have your stuff ready to go, know exactly how you are going to get there/park, know where you'll be meeting people before and after the race.  If all of that is taken care of then at least you are only nervous about the race itself.

I still get nervous before 5Ks... I don't think it ever goes away!

• Jim Sullivan032 Rookie 504 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    10. Jun 12, 2007 9:05 AM (in response to Kettle Jim)

quote:

Originally posted by Kettle Jim:

A question for you Marathon veterans. How much of the magic of the event...the excitement and crowds and other runners....help to push through the difficulty of the race?

To be honest, none. For me, a marathon is no different than any other race. The only thing that matters is knowing I'm ready.

• lolly75 Rookie 83 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    11. Jun 12, 2007 9:13 AM (in response to Kettle Jim)

My friend is running Grandma's marathon too. 

I just ran my first marathon on June 3rd - San Deigo. It was awesome. I was SO nervous!

THere is a lot of "magic of the day", but here is some advice given to me that was very helpful...

1. Don't wave and cheer at the beginning - you'll be tempted with teh crowds... save your energy.
    2. Don't go out too fast, the advice about going with a pace group is good. I went with a pace group 10 min faster than what I wanted to finish... kept me slower in teh beginning... I ended up losing them at mile 20 anyways, but I never walked!!

GOOD LUCK!

• tarbs Rookie 30 posts since
    Jun 11, 2003
    12. Dec 22, 2007 11:17 AM (in response to Kettle Jim)

Good Luck Jim!

Ran my first marathon last spring and had a blast. I had about a 2 week lapse in training with a back injury. I recovered well and had a great experience. I am now preparing for my second marathon which will be the Twin Cities Marathon this fall.

I had all kinds of doubts and aches and pains springing up the last few weeks of training for my first. Worried about running enough miles (ran with my sister for my last training run and her Garmin showed my route was a little shorter than I thought and I started tallying up all the mileage I thought I had ran). Second guessed my shoes. You name it, I second guessed it.

Race day wiped away all of that. Ran with my sister and forgot all my worries. The crowds were great, the weather was great and it all combined to make me feel great. I was feeling it at around miles 18 to 23, but finished strong. Made a deal with my sister that same day that I would travel back up to MN to run TC with her. Wanted to do Grandma's this year, but thought it might be a bit to close for a second marathon. Maybe next year.

Run your race and you will do fine!

Good Luck!

[http://This message has been edited by tarbs (edited Jun-12-2007).|http://This message has been edited by tarbs (edited Jun-12-2007).]

• johnamy Rookie 5 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    13. Jun 12, 2007 9:39 PM (in response to Kettle Jim)

i gotta disagree with lolly75 a little.  slap as much skin as you can.  if you see someone wearing your alma mater's sweatshirt, yell out to them.  when you need a lift, ask for it by flapping your arms up and down and yell "let's hear it!!!".  give lots of high fives to kids.  i have a grand total of one marathon under my belt and i let the crowd distract from some of the pain and agony i was feeling late in the race.

i do agree that you want to pace yourself - but let the crowd carry you when you're starting to fade.

• QuickSilver096 Amateur 188 posts since
    May 23, 2007
    14. Jun 13, 2007 3:54 AM (in response to Kettle Jim)

If you make it to the start and you have a good base of long runs, you will finish without any help. 

Trust your training and just have fun. In my first marathon, I did what everyone else was doing. (Okay, even the walking part). That made it more dynamic and certainly got me talking with plenty of folks. Before I knew it, the finish line was in front of me. Way too soon.

Good luck Jim!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...