Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5051 Views 42 Replies Latest reply: Mar 25, 2008 9:38 PM by spsings RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • runawayjesse Rookie 538 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jun 26, 2007 6:29 PM (in response to Jessitt1)
    Re: Running vs. Jogging

I use the term jogging in my log for an easy effort recovery run. I guess because it feels so easy I just have a hard time calling it a run. I might say it to a runner who I know something like "how was your shake out JOG this morning"?, or did you include a day of JOGGING between those workouts?, I don't think I'm offending anyone.

• janga Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 29, 2007
    16. Jun 26, 2007 8:08 PM (in response to Jessitt1)

I agree with the poster who says the difference between jogging/running and walking is gait. In jogging/running, both feet momentarily leave the ground for a short time; in walking, at least one foot has contact with the ground at all times. There's also a short vertical jump in jogging/running that is not present in walking.

Jogging IS considered slower than running, but they are essentially the same thing and the definition of which is which varies according to who you talk to. I am a very slow runner but I think of myself as a runner, but I also think of myself as a jogger and think that's a nice, friendly, quaint word for when I am just putzin' along for fun. When I am trying to do a race, which is hard for me, I am a runner, even if the whole pack, includin' most o' the walkers, sometimes passes me halfway through. !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

I am also not ashamed to walk, which is a noble and stalwart endeavor that no one should scorn.

S'all good. Who cares what they call it. It's what YOU call it that matters. 

• slowgino Rookie 88 posts since
    Jan 13, 2007
    17. Jun 28, 2007 10:05 PM (in response to Jessitt1)

quote:

Originally posted by Jessitt1:

I would appreciate opinions on the difference between Running and Jogging. Not that I am a snob, but when someone I know says"I see you jogging every now and again", it gets me upset. I figure when you run at a 9 min pace, you should be running. Jogging, to me, seems like it is done at a mich slower pace, and maybe by someone who "jogs" occasionaly.

Does anyone have this problem??? Faster runners being called joggers by towns people???

Do I sound like an elitest???

Rich

Rich -

Remember that great bit of advice Harrison Ford's character gave the President when the latter wondered what to say if the press asked if a certain person was his friend? Something like:
    "If they ask if he's your friend say he's your good friend. If they ask if he's a good friend, say he's your lifelong friend. Give them no place to go..."

When people say they saw me jogging, or ask if I go jogging, I might say something like this:

--

<br />Oh, yeah, I really like jogging.  Once I jogged 100K in the sun when it was 85 degrees in the shade.  Averaged just over 9 minutes per mile, even with stopping by the restrooms on the course every 6 miles or so.  I've jogged a dozen or so marathons too, usually between 3:15 and 3:30.  Maybe the one at 6:45 minutes/mile pace wasn't really "jogging", though.  I really like Bill Bowerman's jogging programs in his 1967 book "Jogging".<br /><br />Oh, what are his jogging programs?  Well, for men and women starting in better than average physical condition, at the end of 12 weeks, pace level 5 has you jogging the intervals at between 5:20 and 6:40 minutes per mile pace.  In metric units a typical day is:<br />   2x  jog 100m, walk 100m<br />   2x  jog 800m, walk 100m<br />   4x  jog 300m, 200m, 100m walk between as needed<br />   3x  jog 100m, walk 100m<br />Like I said, I really enjoy this jogging stuff.<br />--

Well, you get the idea... like if someone says "I saw you out walking" what might you I respond?

"Oh, yeah, I always walk for 15 minutes before jogging down to the track for a 24x 150m interval workout."

"Yeah, van Aaken said you should walk an ultramarathon before you run one, so I'm getting ready to walk a 62 mile (100K) race."

"Isn't walking great? There was a racewalker who worked out at our high school track and he could walk a mile in under 7 minutes - and he wasn't really breathing all that hard."

Gee - this makes me want to get out and do some jogging.

Gino

• 4boysmom Rookie 1,018 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    18. Jun 28, 2007 10:54 PM (in response to Jessitt1)

I consider myself a runner.  Neighbors comment that they always see me out running.  Haven't heard the term jogging for awhile.

That said, I'm working with a coach. Frequently he will use the term 'jog'. As in 400x4, ez jog between. He means a very slow run, just faster than a fast walk.

As far as my training log, I frequently refer to my slower recovery runs as 'easy little trot'.

The only time I've really been offended was the 'sports med' doctor continued to refer to HMs as 'mini marathon'.  Around here, 'minis' are any distance between 10K and HM.  I was new to running and the fact that I could do a HM was a big deal!

• GaleRunz Amateur 147 posts since
    Dec 13, 2003
    19. Jun 29, 2007 9:31 AM (in response to Jessitt1)

Jogging is a term that originated during the first running boom in the 70s.  Who knows how or why running was called jogging, but it was.  Anyone that ran around their neighborhood was a jogger.  It wasn't a derogatory term.  It was just a term.  Kinda like... I used to be called a waitress, I am now a server.

Soooooo.... I am no longer a jogging waitress, I am a running server. !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|border=0!

Gotta love being "politically correct". !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|border=0!

----

Running sober, one step at a time!!!My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• Ailuromancy Rookie 10 posts since
    Jun 27, 2007
    20. Jun 29, 2007 10:28 AM (in response to Jessitt1)

Now that that's sorted out, can we get our teeth into "walking" vs "strolling".

• Jim Sullivan032 Rookie 504 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    21. Jun 29, 2007 11:09 AM (in response to Jessitt1)

I don't use the word "jog". To me, there's just running, racing, and tanking.

• tbone615 Rookie 10 posts since
    Apr 14, 2004
    22. Jun 29, 2007 11:32 AM (in response to Jessitt1)

I don't use the word "run". To me there's only jogging, slogging, and walking.

• Julia Sugarbaker Rookie 42 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    23. Jun 29, 2007 4:44 PM (in response to Jessitt1)

I use the words interchangeably.  Some runners think "jogger" is an insult and say it to put down other runners.  Name calling hasn't hurt my widdle feewings since elementary school, so I'm not really affected by the great running/ jogging debate.

• Tamalina Legend 1,589 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    24. Jun 29, 2007 4:48 PM (in response to Jessitt1)

quote:

Originally posted by gale813:

Gotta love being "politically correct". !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|border=0!

isn't that an oxymoron?? I find there to be very little that is correct about politics

• Starrr126 Rookie 8 posts since
    Oct 5, 2007
    25. Jun 30, 2007 4:25 PM (in response to Jessitt1)

I find the terms used more based on location and purpose over being mean or whatever.  Like, running around the neighborhood or on local trails or something is going for a jog, implying being casual, being fun, laid back.  When you're in a race or you're training for a race people are running...even if you're doing the exact same thing in the exact same way it's like the ultimate purpose changes the wording and also where you're doing it at.  Same with the server waitress thing.  I find servers work at nicer/classier places where waiter/waitresses work at like Dennys.  That's just me perhaps.

http://rojrunning.blogspot.com

• speedrun096 Expert 83 posts since
    Nov 3, 2005
    26. Jul 20, 2007 4:42 AM (in response to Jessitt1)

In terms of words the only difference is that running is faster than jogging.I think that is a given and we can pretty much agree on that.

However more importanly is the spiritual side. To me a jogger is person who is just doing it b/c it "good" for him. Don't get me wrong running is great, but beyond that a jogger doesn't go too far. A jogger never truly pushes themselves, they will fight the pain for a few minutes but then give up. The jogger isn't too torn apart by miss goals or runs. They just finishes races. He is just there.

But a runner is much more than that. He will encounter the pain of running and pushes himself on their limits, trying not to give up until the run is truly over. It is when you feel somewhat upset or annoyed when you don't get to run on your running days. It is during races that finishing is just nothing more than a few quick steps, that you challenge yourself, trying to beat the clock that has beaten you and others many time. Not only to you challenge yourself but others around you with the simple question that all runners ask each other..."Think you can keep up with me?"

• newguy56 Amateur 140 posts since
    Jul 19, 2006
    27. Jul 21, 2007 8:26 AM (in response to Jessitt1)

Jogging Running???

Heck 15 miles at 8 to 9 min pace you can call it jogging or running I don't care most people cannot walk that far. Nuff said.

• KristineC Rookie 24 posts since
    Aug 19, 2006
    28. Jul 21, 2007 11:30 AM (in response to Jessitt1)

Am i the only one who thought the Ron Burgandy quote was right on!!

• rochey Rookie 186 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    29. Jul 21, 2007 4:38 PM (in response to Jessitt1)

On Thursday evening my husband (not a runner) told our 3.5 year old that he was going running as soon as I got home.  The 3.5 year old promptly quipped, "No daddy, you're going jogging.  Mommy goes running."

----

My profile[/URL" target="_blank">
    Me[/URL" target="_blank">

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...