Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5811 Views 66 Replies Latest reply: Jun 11, 2008 2:57 PM by Marc Williams RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • marcmendoza Rookie 17 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jun 27, 2007 1:56 PM (in response to spartanrmd)
    Re: lady shoots at pit bull while jogging

Something fishy about running armed to the gills like you're in the red zone in Bagdad.... 

If she was fearful for her life, why didn't she run away from the area when she first saw the dog... instead of asking the owner to restrain the dog, watching him release the dog then drawing her weapon and attempting to shoot it?

I'm an advocate of responsible gun ownership... this just doesn't strike me as responsible.  If you need a gun (let alone a bat, mace and dogs) to run your route....  pick another route.

• LeftRightRepeat Pro 1,452 posts since
    Aug 16, 2007
    16. Jun 27, 2007 2:02 PM (in response to spartanrmd)

I think...

1) The woman should have been arrested for discharging a weapon in a residential neighborhood;

2) If she was gonna shoot someone, it should have been the owner - not the innocent dog;

3) She's a fruitcake; and

4) This thread belongs in the Clubhouse.

----

->>> John[/URL" target="_blank"> <<<-
    Go write something in the
    Newbie Wiki[/URL" target="_blank">!!

• RacingThoughts Rookie 108 posts since
    Aug 23, 2006
    17. Jun 27, 2007 3:21 PM (in response to spartanrmd)

quote:

Originally posted by LeftRightRepeat:

2) If she was gonna shoot someone, it should have been the owner - not the innocent dog;

I was about to say that.

• AndyHass Rookie 1,368 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    18. Jun 27, 2007 3:36 PM (in response to spartanrmd)

quote:

Originally posted by RacingThoughts:

I was about to say that.

I see, so she should have let the pitbull kill/mame her? Lawsuits don't help you if you're dead.

The fault for the discharge is on a dog owner WHO TOLD HIS DOG TO ATTACK A PEDESTRIAN. My God, you people are such armchair quarterbacks. This all happened in like 10sec, she had to time to leave and you can't outrun a dog.

I question running in a place where you need to carry, but I see little here to question her motivation for shooting at one of the deadliest breeds.  I only fault her if she intentionally tried to miss....if you feel threatened enough to shoot, you should hit your target.  Intentionally missing indicated you doubted the severity of the threat to your life (and if your life is not threatened you should not be shooting).

• danadear Rookie 343 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    19. Jun 27, 2007 3:46 PM (in response to spartanrmd)

I find it hard to believe the owner told his dog to attack. Why in the world would he do that?  Makes zero sense.

• cribzen Rookie 7 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    20. Jun 27, 2007 4:00 PM (in response to spartanrmd)

This is a fun thread, so I am going to add one more dimension to it (no flaming please)!

I read the news story and watched the associated video news story. The video showed the gun in question and it looks suspiciously like a Kel Tec .380 semi automatic.

I own this particular gun and would say that if one must run with a gun for protection, from whatever, this gun would be a good one to choose from the concealment and weight load standpoints.

However, I would not go after a pitbull with anything less then a .357 caliber handgun. This woman is lucky the dog was supposedly scared off by the sound of her gun. Had she actually hit the dog, the pooch would have just gotten angrier and had even more reason to take a taste of that other calf. The .380 caliber is just to light to do much damage on this type of a target.

Just my $.02

Too funny to pass up!!!

Great day all!!!!

----

Cribzen
    In 50K Training
    My User Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• Who Dey010 Rookie 170 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    21. Jun 27, 2007 4:19 PM (in response to spartanrmd)

It should be kept in mind that the woman's story and the dog owner's story are, not surprisingly, different.  Who knows what the truth is, but the police did decide to not charge either party.

• Girl In Motion Amateur 253 posts since
    Feb 4, 2007
    22. Jun 27, 2007 4:26 PM (in response to spartanrmd)

gun, mace, baseball bat

Gee, and I thought carrying a water bottle was a huge pain in the ***.

• dpar Rookie 85 posts since
    Dec 11, 2005
    23. Jun 27, 2007 4:41 PM (in response to spartanrmd)

quote:

Originally posted by flobaby:

gun, mace, baseball bat

Gee, and I thought carrying a water bottle was a huge pain in the ***.[/B]

I bet she was wearing a diaper too so she didn't have to stop. I think, or should I say wildly speculate, that she was on a mission and looking for the encounter.

----

My Log[/URL" target="_blank">

My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• brown82799 Rookie 231 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    24. Jun 27, 2007 4:45 PM (in response to spartanrmd)

Too bad she didn't shoot the damn dog DEAD.....

• obsessor Rookie 473 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    25. Jun 27, 2007 5:22 PM (in response to spartanrmd)

Wow, great "thoughtful" responses, people.

Perhaps she lives in an area where she has to (or feels she has to) carry, and thus cannot avoid a route that takes her past unpleasent areas. It's a thought.

Yes, too bad she missed. And a .380 auto would do the job; it's shot placement. But sure, a more powerful round has its benefits.

The ability to protect yourself is a basic human right. Take away the right to bear arms, or protect yourself by other means, and who do you protect? Who do you enable? Who has new opportunity? I wonder.

I'm sure there are elements of the story that are fabricated, inflated, embelished, and screwed up between what was told, the mistakes in the police report, and mistakes in the print report.  So, what do we know?

• Kylan023 Rookie 23 posts since
    Jun 24, 2007
    26. Jun 27, 2007 8:14 PM (in response to spartanrmd)

Two things:

1. Wouldn't be amusing if she WAS running in the safe part of town?

2. I wonder what breeds the dogs were.  If she's running with two German Sheperds or Dobermans I say make like Michael Vick and let them go to town! :P jk

• milkbaby004 Rookie 447 posts since
    Jul 28, 2003
    27. Jun 27, 2007 8:26 PM (in response to spartanrmd)

Florida is a state where concealed carry is legal if you apply for and are issued the permit.  Also, by state law, you can defend yourself anyplace where you have the reasonable right to be.  So most juries would probably agree that you have the reasonable right to be in your front yard, in a store parking lot, jogging in the neighborhood, etc.  If somebody orders their dog to attack you as you jog by in the street or on the sidewalk, then you have the right to defend yourself.

Usually the police and/or courts will make the determination whether her actions were legal, and in Florida I wouldn't be surprised that they find nothing wrong with her actions. Legality aside, there is still the possiblity of litigation in civil court.

I'm kinda surprised that somebody would bother carrying a gun, mace, AND a baseball bat.  Maybe she was expecting to come upon a pickup game of baseball?  

• mcsolar99 Legend 1,014 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    28. Jun 27, 2007 11:22 PM (in response to spartanrmd)

resolved:  shooting at the dog made her running route safer for her run tomorrow, and safer for all runners in her neighborhood.

debate? 

• RacingThoughts Rookie 108 posts since
    Aug 23, 2006
    29. Jun 28, 2007 8:10 AM (in response to spartanrmd)

quote:

Originally posted by AndyHass:

I see, so she should have let the pitbull kill/mame her? Lawsuits don't help you if you're dead.

The fault for the discharge is on a dog owner WHO TOLD HIS DOG TO ATTACK A PEDESTRIAN. My God, you people are such armchair quarterbacks. This all happened in like 10sec, she had to time to leave and you can't outrun a dog.

I question running in a place where you need to carry, but I see little here to question her motivation for shooting at one of the deadliest breeds. I only fault her if she intentionally tried to miss....if you feel threatened enough to shoot, you should hit your target. Intentionally missing indicated you doubted the severity of the threat to your life (and if your life is not threatened you should not be shooting).

Chill man, I didn't mean that literally. I was just agreeing with John's post about these kind of issues being MOSTLY the owner's fault, not the dog's. She had every right to defend herself against an attack and did the right thing.

-Dustin

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...