Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1147 Views 17 Replies Latest reply: Aug 9, 2009 4:30 PM by cyndi t RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Edith Georgi Rookie 3 posts since
Oct 10, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 2, 2007 12:31 PM

Sweat making my shoes soggy

Yesterday's 12 miler in S Florida began before 6 am; it was already 90% humidity and pretty warm with no breeze. By mile 8-9 I noticed my feet were soaking and by the end it was wetter than running in the rain. Using my new asics gel kinzei's as well as asics socks...I can't imagine any solution for this, short of moving north, but if you have any suggestions, I would be happey to hear them.  the good news was that my socks seem a lot softer when wet...
Thanks

• Head Band Bill Legend 789 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Jul 2, 2007 1:13 PM (in response to Edith Georgi)
    Re: Sweat making my shoes soggy

I am in S. Fla. too, so I sympathize.

Same thing for my long run yesterday too. My shoes seemed nearly as wet after the LR as they did last week when I got caught in a downpour.

There's little you can do. Rotate shoes (I have 3 pair) and use newspapers to perhaps help dry them out faster.

Bill

----

Bill's Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• rochey Rookie 186 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Jul 2, 2007 1:30 PM (in response to Edith Georgi)

I was going to post the same thing as Bill.  Rotate your shoes and stuff wadded up newpaper inside your wet shoes to dry them out quickly. 

----

My profile[/URL" target="_blank">
    Me[/URL" target="_blank">

• Nobby063 Rookie 630 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Jul 2, 2007 1:44 PM (in response to Edith Georgi)

quote:

Originally posted by georgihou:

Yesterday's 12 miler in S Florida began before 6 am; it was already 90% humidity and pretty warm with no breeze. By mile 8-9 I noticed my feet were soaking and by the end it was wetter than running in the rain. Using my new asics gel kinzei's as well as asics socks...I can't imagine any solution for this, short of moving north, but if you have any suggestions, I would be happey to hear them. the good news was that my socks seem a lot softer when wet...
    Thanks

Everybody's different on that as well. I sweat a lot (including my feet) and, when my coach insisted on running without socks for track race, I countered because, with some shoes with certain material, my feet really start to slip around in the shoes (spikes). When sweaty and wet, socks acted as a cushin and stopped my feet to slide around.

I don't own Kinsei so I can't speak for the shoe or its material but I would imagine most of today's shoes are built around a very breatheable material. Some may not because they tend to value cosmetics more than function.

I took this original post as what to do to lessen being so wet (inside the shoe) during the run, is it not? If so, my suggestion would be to cut out some holes throughout the shoe. Be careful not to hurt the seam or the whole shoe may collaps; but cut out the holes around, say, lines (ASICS is good because its lines cover a lot!) or between the lines (can you see the semi-squair where two vertical lines and two horizontal lines meet? In there), or even the reinforcement area in the front part. Maybe you can punch one in the middle of biomorphic stretchy material??? Cut out a hole or two or three on the tongue--that's a good place for punching holes. Again, be careful not to destroy the structure of the shoe; but punching a bunch of holes SHOULD help ventilation.

If you're asking about what to do after the run, other posters had answered it.

• dg12002 Expert 614 posts since
    Aug 26, 2003
    4. Jul 2, 2007 1:50 PM (in response to Edith Georgi)

I place baking soda and cornstarch beneath my insole and above also.

Dec 14, 2007
    5. Jul 2, 2007 1:53 PM (in response to Edith Georgi)

PS:  Have you tried ASICS Ohana Racer?  It's as well-ventilated as can be.  Others like Magic Racer (the old model) have ventilation hole(s) at the bottom of the shoe.  Be careful running in the snow in those though.  Running in MN winter, you know exactly where those holes at the bottom of the shoe are! ;o)

• copasetic1 Rookie 22 posts since
    Oct 15, 2003
    6. Jul 2, 2007 2:39 PM (in response to Edith Georgi)

It's been in the 90s here in SE Virginia and I run through the same sort of conditions all summer (going outside feels like pulling a half-dry blanket from the clothes dryer and wrapping it around your body).  Every summer, I have lots of wet shoe days.

There's only so much that a well-ventilated shoe can do for you if it's that hot, that humid, and your sweat response is that strong. If conditions are sweat-inducing enough that your exposed skin (arms, lets, face) is wet with ideal ventilation, then your feet are going to get soaked after awhile too. Cutting holes in your shoes to add ventilation is not going to help.

You can slow things down a little by shaking some zeasorb powder (or another absorbent powder) in your socks before you put them on. However, even if foot sweating can be delayed for a bit, sweat will run down your legs and dampen things from above.  If I'm running 12-15, I just suck it up and live with it.  The feet don't get uncomfortably wet until around mile 11 or 12 anyway.  If I'm running in the neighborhood of 16-20, I try to plan a shoe and sock change at the halfway point.  Usually I forget to do this and end up finishing my run on stinky prunes.

• Long Run Nick Amateur 277 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    7. Jul 4, 2007 2:42 PM (in response to Edith Georgi)

North Florida guyit so much coolernot really. One thing that has worked a little for me is wearing compression/tri shortswhatever they are called. I find they absorb some of the sweat and my shoes stay drier a little longer. Not much, but it helps some.<br /><br />Also, when they start to smell real badput them in a sealable bag/ziplocktoss in some baking sodaplace them in the freezer for a day. After they thaw out--they aren't quite as smelly.

Several years ago my in-laws were visiting and opened the freezer. They couldn't believe I had running shoes in there. They left sooner than they had planned. Not all bad. Nick (:

• Texasdude005 Rookie 61 posts since
    Jun 1, 2006
    8. Jul 5, 2007 9:45 AM (in response to Edith Georgi)

I run into the same problem; only in my case, I will be running on dry pavements and be leaving footprints due to the sweat soaking all the way through the shoes.

If you're running a track race without socks, then use footpowder (lots of it) to try to keep things as dry as possible for as long as possible. I can't do daily runs sans socks because my feet blister badly where seams rub.

I use 3 pairs of shoes and rotate them. Even then, I notice that the shoes don't completely dry by the time I'm supposed to wear them again.

Dec 14, 2007
    9. Dec 22, 2007 12:30 PM (in response to Edith Georgi)

quote:

Originally posted by Texasdude:

If you're running a track race without socks, then use footpowder (lots of it) to try to keep things as dry as possible for as long as possible.

I'm a bit skeptical of using footpowder. Granted, I never used it; but sometimes powder itself can make things (foot) slide around. Plus, liquid + powder sounds like a combination for "paste". Remember the episode of "friends" when Russ tried to pull his leather pants up by using powder and lotion? One of the funniest scenes! ;-D Wouldn't that happen? Love to hear feedback.

[http://This message has been edited by Nobby (edited Jul-05-2007).|http://This message has been edited by Nobby (edited Jul-05-2007).]

• pegruns Rookie 37 posts since
    Oct 22, 2007
    10. Jul 5, 2007 12:35 PM (in response to Edith Georgi)

I am also training in South Florida. I've noticed lately that my shoes and socks not only get wet,but the bottoms of my feet are starting to hurt! They feel like they're burning... Sometimes I stop at the 6 mile marker and take off my socks and shoes for a minute to cool them off.

• Texasdude005 Rookie 61 posts since
    Jun 1, 2006
    11. Dec 22, 2007 12:30 PM (in response to Edith Georgi)

quote:

Originally posted by Nobby:

I'm a bit skeptical of using footpowder. Granted, I never used it; but sometimes powder itself can make things (foot) slide around. Plus, liquid + powder sounds like a combination for "paste". Wouldn't that happen? Love to hear feedback.

[http://This message has been edited by Nobby (edited Jul-05-2007).|http://This message has been edited by Nobby (edited Jul-05-2007).]

I used it for years as my feet sweat a lot. I found that my feet begin to sweat fairly quickly when I begin my warmup. The powder evens up acting like a paste, or glue, to keep the feet from slipping around too much. I have even put powder in my spikes before a steeplechase and didn't have any problems.

When I don't use the powder, my feet really slip around in the shoe.

Dec 14, 2007
    12. Jul 5, 2007 2:56 PM (in response to Edith Georgi)

quote:

Originally posted by Texasdude:

I used it for years as my feet sweat a lot. I found that my feet begin to sweat fairly quickly when I begin my warmup. The powder evens up acting like a paste, or glue, to keep the feet from slipping around too much. I have even put powder in my spikes before a steeplechase and didn't have any problems.

When I don't use the powder, my feet really slip around in the shoe.

Interesting...  Thanks for the input.  Now, seriously (I'm not joking), coming from the state of 3M, I wonder if there's any "glue" for runniing shoes...???  I mean, they have that blue spray for pole vault...

• Harper028 Rookie 188 posts since
    Jan 20, 2007
    13. Jul 5, 2007 4:40 PM (in response to Edith Georgi)

Sweat bands for the wrist, except put them around your ankles. If you can find ones large enough. Keeps the sweat from running down legs into shoes.

• jrich7970 Rookie 231 posts since
    Oct 1, 2007
    14. Jul 5, 2007 8:31 PM (in response to Edith Georgi)

Granted, I don't live in Florida (I live in NJ), but one morning at 4:30 AM, it was about 79 degrees with 99% humidity, and all of my sweat, with my wicking clothes, doing what they were supposed to do, was running straight down my legs into my shoes.

Every step was squish, squish, squish...

I don't know if there's anything you can do except rotate the shoes.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...