Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2289 Views 53 Replies Latest reply: Jul 14, 2007 5:15 PM by Graciemygirl RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • thereshegoes Rookie 330 posts since
    Jun 15, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    45. Jul 12, 2007 4:15 PM (in response to wing zero)
    Re: What to do about required junk mileage???

quote:

Originally posted by laker:

I was being constructive. The Op came on here asking for advice. Take your feel good crap and shove it. If you listen to what the experienced people on here say, you might learn something and actually "accomplish something great". Those who are elite, and sub elite, and just plain average generally work very hard. Do you?

Heh. Laker, this made me laugh. And I probably shouldn't get in the middle of this (darn slow day at work, but...)

Gracie.  Sure, they accomplish + something + and sure maybe it's great to somebody but it's not objectively great, really.  If someone wants to actually maximize their potential as a runner, laker's advice is going to go a heck of a lot farther than making him feel good or telling him what he wants to hear.  And the real irony is that even though your advocating for the "golden rule" you're bashing and judging  laker more than he ever bashed or judged anybody!

• Jim Sullivan032 Rookie 504 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    46. Jul 13, 2007 9:15 AM (in response to wing zero)

Getting back to the 30miles/week business, I had one season where I had lost my motivation around the end of the year, taken too much time off, trained in a less than serious manner, and insisted on running Boston only because I had qualified for it.

My running log shows that I averaged about 34mpw. I got through it, though it was brutally painful. My time was about 20 minutes slower than what I run when I average 50-55.

I would ask that someone remind me not to do that again, except that it's unlikely that I would ever need such a reminder.

• AndyHass Rookie 1,368 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    47. Jul 13, 2007 1:00 PM (in response to wing zero)

quote:

I was being constructive. The Op came on here asking for advice. Take your feel good crap and shove it. If you listen to what the experienced people on here say, you might learn something and actually "accomplish something great". Those who are elite, and sub elite, and just plain average generally work very hard. Do you?

You can always count on Laker to tell it like it is 

• Jim Sullivan032 Rookie 504 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    48. Jul 13, 2007 1:12 PM (in response to wing zero)

quote:

Originally posted by AndyHass:

You can always count on Laker to tell it like it is

I'm a pretty big fan of Laker, though I think he held back a little in that discussion about how deep awards should go.

• Graciemygirl Rookie 27 posts since
    Apr 12, 2005
    49. Dec 22, 2007 12:47 PM (in response to wing zero)

quote:

Originally posted by thereshegoes:

Heh. Laker, this made me laugh. And I probably shouldn't get in the middle of this (darn slow day at work, but...)

Gracie. Sure, they accomplish + something + and sure maybe it's great to somebody but it's not objectively great, really. If someone wants to actually maximize their potential as a runner, laker's advice is going to go a heck of a lot farther than making him feel good or telling him what he wants to hear. And the real irony is that even though your advocating for the "golden rule" you're bashing and judging laker more than he ever bashed or judged anybody!

I never bashed Laker...I just think you can tell people what you need to in a nice way. You don't need to sugar coat it but you don't need to make him feel like he sucks because he's not running 50 mpw yet. THAT is ALL I said...at least that is the way I meant it...if it came off as bashing...sorry...I just think there is enough grumpy people in the world and to come here to learn and get better at what we all like to do and be treated like that is just not what "community" is all about...that is all I meant. From what I read...I am sure Laker has valuable training tips. But you get more bees with honey than vinegar.

[http://This message has been edited by Graciemygirl (edited Jul-13-2007).|http://This message has been edited by Graciemygirl (edited Jul-13-2007).]

Angie Drew 
    Apr 12, 2005
    50. Jul 13, 2007 6:29 PM (in response to wing zero)

quote:

I am not an elite runner...I do not have the experience you have but my point was more that you can say what you need to without making someone feel inferior to you the way that you did. I respect what you have to offer here, I just thought it was mean the way you went about it. I don't have any feel good crap to shove...just think you can offer your insight and experience without tearing at someone's base accomplishment while they are striving to hit the level you have reached through your hardwork and determination. That's all...

My daughter has special needs and gets picked on often.  She was having a sad and hard day that day and your post just hit the "mama bear" in me.  Bygones?

Angie Drew 
  • donnyl Amateur 587 posts since
    Nov 9, 2007
    51. Jul 14, 2007 12:20 PM (in response to wing zero)

quote:

Originally posted by Graciemygirl:

I am not an elite runner...I do not have the experience you have but my point was more that you can say what you need to without making someone feel inferior to you the way that you did. I respect what you have to offer here, I just thought it was mean the way you went about it. I don't have any feel good crap to shove...just think you can offer your insight and experience without tearing at someone's base accomplishment while they are striving to hit the level you have reached through your hardwork and determination. That's all...

My daughter has special needs and gets picked on often. She was having a sad and hard day that day and your post just hit the "mama bear" in me. Bygones?

My advice to the OP was pretty objective and straightforward, you sure read a lot more into it than others did. My advice to you on the other hand........ Bygones.

• Nobby063 Rookie 630 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    52. Jul 14, 2007 1:23 PM (in response to wing zero)

quote:

Originally posted by Graciemygirl:

My daughter has special needs and gets picked on often. She was having a sad and hard day that day and your post just hit the "mama bear" in me. Bygones?

Bill Rodgers used to work as a special ed teacher.  I believe somewhere he said something like running a marathon is nothing compared to their (kids with special needs) bravery.  That goes to their parents as well.  Nothing wrong with a littel bit of feel-good here and there.  Keep up the great work, mamabear! ;o)

Apr 12, 2005
    53. Jul 14, 2007 5:15 PM (in response to wing zero)

Thanks guys....

Angie Drew 
1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...