Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3997 Views 21 Replies Latest reply: Dec 22, 2008 9:55 AM by sulai 1 2 Previous Next
reagiesmom Rookie 61 posts since
Jan 10, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

May 24, 2006 6:54 PM

Competitive 5k strategy

I have been placing in the top 4 women at local 5ks. Generally people beat me by passing late in the race. I run 6-8 minute miles, depending on the hills or lack thereof.

My question is, what is the best strategy- to go out fast and try to hang on to the lead or a good position, or to sit back and try to pass everyone later?

• Richard21142 Legend 769 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. May 24, 2006 9:26 PM (in response to reagiesmom)
    Re: Competitive 5k strategy

quote:

Originally posted by reagiesmom:

or a good position, or to sit back and try to pass everyone later?

This seems to be working for the runners that are passing you late in the race.

• NYCross Rookie 161 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. May 24, 2006 10:27 PM (in response to reagiesmom)

The problem is probably less with your strategy on the day of the race and more that your training isn't geared enough toward endurance to keep your end of the race pace as fast or faster than the beginning. Do you keep splits so that you know if you're slowing down a lot in the last mile? If you're slowing, find your average pace per mile and in the next race, don't run your first mile faster than the average pace. Then you can gradually try to increase speed or maintain pace. If you don't have a good aerobic base, you need one. I don't know what your training is like, but maybe you're doing too much speedwork and not enough mileage and solid longer runs.

• dynamite238 Rookie 58 posts since
    Oct 2, 2007
    3. Dec 22, 2007 2:08 PM (in response to reagiesmom)

I find that running a 5k well is almost a sprint for 3 miles.  Endurance events for me consists of 2 parts:  The physical conditioning to finish as well as the fortitude to push through the non-injury pain.

Lately I find that I have plenty of endurance for a 5k, but am learning how to live through every fiber in my body wanting to slow down and "take it easy".

The pain is not associated with injury but running hard and fast. I am always willing to slow or stop for an injury.

I have been using tempo runs to train my body AND mind to endure a fast 5k. I have also "gritted my teeth" and pushed, because you don't have to endure a 5k for very long.

In summary, my strategy is:

1. Go out as fast as I can and still finish the race.

2. Don't slow down significantly. (although I tend to have mini surges and backoffs in the middle miles). I don't have to endure the pain for long.

3. Kick at the end.

This strategy has dropped my 5k times by almost 2 minutes (from 23 minutes to 21 minutes) over the past 4 months!

I will be adding intervals to the training and hope to get to 20 minutes or less within the next 4 months.

[http://This message has been edited by rleugers (edited May-24-2006).|http://This message has been edited by rleugers (edited May-24-2006).]

• SportiGrl Pro 470 posts since
    Jul 22, 2004
    4. May 24, 2006 10:53 PM (in response to reagiesmom)

I tend to agree with Richard on this one .... since you are placing top 4 and being passed near the end then you have been going out as a front runner and that hasn't worked so well to this point if finishing a higher place is your goal ...

Aside from that, I'll offer this from what I've been doing for trying to reach my own race goals: I have been working towards some 5K and 10K goals myself this year and see that VO2Max and LT are near equally important for 5K racing ... so, if you're not already doing some faster paced intervals as part of your training schedule I'd add some ... I'm really liking 1200 x 5 at 5K pace myself ... I feel like it's more work and race appropriate for the 5K than doing 400 or 800 repeats ... I've also been doing either 10 x 100 or 8 x 200 once per week to work on basic speed for that kickin ... and at least once per week I kick in a longer training run ...

It sounds like you are a bit faster than me ... but I've had good results with this so far and met my goal for the year in my first race and now am setting my goal pace and interval repeat times a bit faster ...

good luck in winning outright really soon!

• Richard21142 Legend 769 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. May 25, 2006 8:27 AM (in response to reagiesmom)

quote:

ANy further advice is greatly appreciated.

You can do your daily runs with negative splits.  Start out relaxed and allow youself to warmup.  Then run the pace that feels comfortable for that day.  At some point approaching the finish of your run, pick up the pace (the increase in pace can be subtle).  You could do this with a mile to go or maybe only 800 meters.  You will notice that when you pick up the pace, your form will change a bit.  You will feel stronger and the run will get easier.  This is what you have to experience in the late stages of your races.

• exciton Rookie 317 posts since
    Nov 2, 2004
    7. May 25, 2006 10:23 AM (in response to reagiesmom)

Hows about pacing off of one of those runners who typically beat you? Meditate on the force of will before the race. Maybe you'll learn something about pacing and pushing.

• cliff202j Rookie 82 posts since
    Nov 10, 2005
    8. May 25, 2006 11:45 AM (in response to reagiesmom)

You may want to consider adding a tempo run to your weekly training.  I always schedule a tempo four days prior to a 5K or 10K race.  The tempo run will increase both your strength and endurance on race day.  The following is one way to structure your tempo workout:

20 Minute Warm Up
    18-20 Minute Tempo @15K pace
    10-20 Minute Cool Down

• PacerChris Amateur 740 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    9. May 25, 2006 2:03 PM (in response to reagiesmom)

My training is more geared towards marathons as well but I want to improve my competitiveness in shorter races - not necessarily my times, but more my ability to kick and finish strong.

That said - here's my plan for my 5k this weekend.  I'd like my finishing time to be under 18:00 so avg 5:45.  I want to go out in around 5:45 for the first mile, slow down a little in the second and kind of gather myself - maybe 5:50-6:00.  Around the 15:00 mark, I'm going to start the drive - I know with marathon training I don't have sprint speed but I should be able to push myself very hard (5:30 pace or better) for 3 stinking minutes.  I should be able to pass some people in the end that way and anyone coming up on me is going to have to really kick hard.  I could see myself being passed by someone I just passed but I hope to counteract that by going hard around someone when I pass instead of just easing by.

We'll see how it works - I have typically gone out too fast and then hold on the last mile but I often get passed like crazy. Hopefully this will work a little better and possibly lead to a PR!

----

Pacer Dude[/URL" target="_blank">

• SportiGrl Pro 470 posts since
    Jul 22, 2004
    10. May 26, 2006 1:58 PM (in response to reagiesmom)

R'smom .... those mental games can wreak havoc ...  why not change your focus to a specific time goal, or keeping a pace rather than placing a certain place ...

Since you already talk yourself into settling for 2nd -3rd-4th place why not just focus elsewhere entirely and have the place be icing?

My next race the main thing I plan to do is run a warmup on a bit of the reverse course ... to get a feeling of where the last mile will be and what landmarks I can focus on to time my push in ... something that helps me in training runs (and races, so far) is reminding myself how easy and short a distance I have to complete ... makes kicking in a piece of cake, really ... I just haven't really known where the finish was until I was only 200 or so yards away the first couple races I've done ... I'd have started picking up a lot at 600-800 at least if I knew where that was!

Now I look at the races from an 'I can' stand point ... not an 'I think I can' ... leave no room for doubt to creep in ... you've done the training and know you can, so run like it!

Good luck in any upcoming races!

• ramer1642 Rookie 29 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    11. May 27, 2006 4:38 PM (in response to reagiesmom)

5k----
    12 minuet warm-up <br />stretch, really good, hydrate a little
    15min before race, stride outs at 85% of sprint, this allows for all possible cappilaries in legs to be opend to allow max blood flow in legs<br />At the gun, take off, not sprint but jockey a bit for a lead spot.
    * Mile one is all consistancy, stick to your pace
    * See a hill, go at it, never give a second of doubt, down-hill, open it up, stride out, if its flat, pace some unexpecting punk and ride them, only if they are pushing you though, dont tail a inconsistant fun-runner!
    *mile.1 get it out, and about 800m before the finnish begin your kick, this helped me sooo much, i had a hard tim breaking 16:50 and doing this knocked me down to 16:42, then when you see that line, go get it, its yours and you own it... get the competitive, you see someone passing tail them! get focused get competitive, seek pain dont let it find you, go find it! ---Much luck and many good runs

• Currently Being Moderated
    12. Oct 30, 2007 8:33 PM (in response to reagiesmom)

well im a junior a sharyland high school.. and my PR is a 16:33 and im finding the way to break that stupid 16 in the regional meet.. this weekend.. so if ur going to san antonio region 4 5A watch out for Sharyland dude

• hermosaboy001 Legend 909 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    13. Oct 31, 2007 7:00 PM (in response to reagiesmom)

quote:

My question is, what is the best strategy- to go out fast and try to hang on to the lead or a good position, or to sit back and try to pass everyone later?

What is YOUR goal???

Fastest time possible or to beat the people that seem to pass you?

That is the determining factor...

I have a friend that LOVES to get out for the first mile WAY AHEAD of goal pace. He thinks that this is the only way to race.

When I catch and pass him (in all but one race) between mile 1 and 1.5, he is demoralized.

So, what are you trying to do? If you are trying to run your fastest race possible -- you should consider even to negative splits. If you are RACING to win -- you need to run based on your competitors.

If you have a big lead on them for 2 miles and then get out kicked -- they are sitting on you and you have control over that. If they run away from you at the start -- they are faster than you and you can't control that.

So, gotta look at your competition and what your true goals are...

Just my opinion -- I definitely COULD be wrong!!!

• obsessor Rookie 473 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    14. Nov 1, 2007 8:57 AM (in response to reagiesmom)

quote:

Originally posted by Sharyland Regio:

well im a junior a sharyland high school.. and my PR is a 16:33 and im finding the way to break that stupid 16 in the regional meet.. this weekend.. so if ur going to san antonio region 4 5A watch out for Sharyland dude

That's one of the funniest posts I've read in a long time.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...