Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4160 Views 23 Replies Latest reply: Sep 4, 2006 11:10 AM by WRunner124 RSS 1 2 Previous Next
kaiser08014 Rookie 29 posts since
May 10, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 11, 2006 9:41 PM

scholarship Q's

hey, im a junior in highschool and i am pretty good at track in the 800 and 400. my pr's are 1:56 and 51, but i plan on lowering those times this year and next. my dream is to get a scholarship to a division 1 university and continue running there. my questions are how do i do that, what do i have to do, who do i have to talk to, and how do i get ahold of them? i would be very greatful if someone would help me out with this, thanks

KaIsEr

• crunningman Rookie 918 posts since
    Jun 7, 2002
    1. Aug 12, 2006 11:31 AM (in response to kaiser08014)
    Re: scholarship Q's

quote:

Originally posted by kaiser08:

hey, im a junior in highschool and i am pretty good at track in the 800 and 400. my pr's are 1:56 and 51, but i plan on lowering those times this year KaIsEr

kaiser,
    Nice times. I say lower that 400 to "49-50" and your 800 to "1:51-52" or lower of course and use your

Coach

to your advantage. He has to know people in track circles I'm sure?

If you start putting up some good times at big meets against good competition then people will notice and start talking. If you start winning races and get interviews, then talk a little about what your goal is without taking away from the "team". No doubt you want your team to win meets, but your overall goal is to get that D1 scholarship.

Plus, another important factor are grades. Example: My twin had the running gift, well let's just say, back in 1987-89. 2 mile (9:29), 1 mile (4:22), but didn't have the grades to get the offers he wanted. And he knew it. So, as far as I know some schools look at that as well. It just shows them that running isn't the only thing important to you, but a part of the big picture.

I wish you luck.  CR

• alexanderthegr8042 Legend 1,228 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Aug 12, 2006 12:03 PM (in response to kaiser08014)

Don't just let your times do the talking.
    Most coaches will be interested in your progression.
    For example someone who's 800 has progressed like 205-200-158-155 is more impressive than one that goes 203-155-154-154.
    Check out a list of things to do in order to land that scholarship here:
    http://www.tnfnorth.com/recruit.html[/URL" target="_blank">

----

Alex[/URL" target="_blank">

• TD Runner Rookie 292 posts since
    Oct 25, 2001
    3. Dec 22, 2007 2:22 PM (in response to kaiser08014)

To be blunt, don't count on a scholarship to a D-1 program. Money to freshmen for athletic accomplishments in track and field is few and far between. If you can't score at a conference meet or at nats coming in, money is unlikely.

[http://This message has been edited by TD Runner (edited Aug-12-2006).|http://This message has been edited by TD Runner (edited Aug-12-2006).]

• aurang Legend 1,354 posts since
    Jun 26, 2003
    4. Aug 12, 2006 10:45 PM (in response to kaiser08014)

Also be mindful of your education. You will likely be a great runner but what is even more likely is that you will not make a living from running. Many people on the cusp of being scholarship-worthy wind up at a podunk school that does offer a scholarship but a subpar education.

Dec 14, 2007
    5. Dec 22, 2007 2:22 PM (in response to kaiser08014)

quote:

Originally posted by TD Runner:

To be blunt, don't count on a scholarship to a D-1 program. Money to freshmen for athletic accomplishments in track and field is few and far between. If you can't score at a conference meet or at nats coming in, money is unlikely.

[http://This message has been edited by TD Runner (edited Aug-12-2006).|http://This message has been edited by TD Runner (edited Aug-12-2006).]

If he can get down to 49.X and 1:51 then he will have no problems landing a D1 scholarship.

----

• Alex Filidez Rookie 14 posts since
    May 26, 2006
    6. Dec 22, 2007 2:22 PM (in response to kaiser08014)

quote:

Originally posted by kaiser08:

hey, im a junior in highschool and i am pretty good at track in the 800 and 400. my pr's are 1:56 and 51, but i plan on lowering those times this year and next. my dream is to get a scholarship to a division 1 university and continue running there. my questions are how do i do that, what do i have to do, who do i have to talk to, and how do i get ahold of them? i would be very greatful if someone would help me out with this, thanks

KaIsEr

My advice is not to get overly obsessed with your goal and try to balance your life out a little more. That's the mistake I made with running. Certainly try to achieve your hopes and dreams, but try not to put all of your eggs in one basket. I know this doesn't sound like the "competitive wire" thing to say, but I'm just speaking from experience.

If it was meant to be, it probably will happen.

[http://This message has been edited by Alex Filidez (edited Aug-12-2006).|http://This message has been edited by Alex Filidez (edited Aug-12-2006).]

• TD Runner Rookie 292 posts since
    Oct 25, 2001
    7. Aug 13, 2006 9:43 AM (in response to kaiser08014)

quote:

Originally posted by alexanderthegr8:

If he can get down to 49.X and 1:51 then he will have no problems landing a D1 scholarship.

Even with those times, he is only looking at a partial. FYI - dropping from 1:56 to 1:51 is a HUGE leap.

Here are some facts. CC and track and field get a total of 12.6 scholarships combined! Many coachs split this up 4.2 for field events/ 4.2 for sprints / 4.2 distances.

Basically you are competing against sophs/juniors/seniors for one of the 4.2 scholarships. These are guys that are already scoring at conference and national meets. Honestly look at qualification times and use those as you gauge. If you can't run them, you won't get much.

I'm really not trying to be a dick, I'm just being honest.

----

Todd[/URL" target="_blank">

Dec 14, 2007
    9. Aug 13, 2006 11:25 PM (in response to kaiser08014)

There's maybe 10 high school kids a year in the US who run 151 for 800 a year. They are all getting full scholarship offers I am sure.

----

• Born to Run060 Amateur 553 posts since
    Jul 1, 2002
    10. Aug 14, 2006 7:31 PM (in response to kaiser08014)

I think you have been given some good advice here.  It is very possible for you to get a partial schoalrship as well.

Look at schools that you are interested in. Visit if possible. Write a letter to the coach. It really helps if a coach knows that you are interested in their university. Include a brief biography of your running progression and include your academic interests and grades (if good). Don't write that you plan on getting your time down to 1:xx or whatever. Everyone wants to get their times down. The manner in which athletes go about this is what sets them apart. Instead say that you are commited to hard work and continued improvement (if this is true!).

Focus on continued improvement and on what you are capable of doing each day.

Step back to get a perspective once in awhile, so that you realize how lucky you are to be running at all and how lucky you are to be competing at the level you are.

Keep limits from your mind and yet don't focus everyday on times that you think are fast. Those will come in time when you do the work you need to do.

Have fun & Good luck!

• WRunner124 Expert 144 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    11. Aug 27, 2006 1:02 PM (in response to kaiser08014)

Id agree alexander with your 10 guys running 151 or so each year but i seirously doubt there all getting full scholarships. infact hardly any of even the top athletes in the nation get full scholarships because they are freshmen and as it is if your an elite program like arkansas, or texas, or oregon, or florida state your risking alot by even investing in freshmen as it is. So the whole idea of them giving up 1.0 of there 12.6 on a freshmen who could bonk and just be like hundreds of other high school phenoms is unlikely. I talked to several coaches and they all said the largest scholarship number they are 'allowed' to give a freshmen is 70%. Kaiser if your looking for a DI school you need about a 1:54 if your looking to go to an elite school like the ones i listed above you need a 1:51-1:52 but only expect on getting 10-20%.

----

My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• Richard21142 Legend 769 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    12. Aug 27, 2006 4:30 PM (in response to kaiser08014)

Financial aid can be more lucrative than a scholarship.

Dec 14, 2007
    13. Aug 28, 2006 11:40 PM (in response to kaiser08014)

One of my very good friends got a full scholarship to a D1 school and he barely ran under 4:00 for the 1500 and a low 820s for the 3k I think a high school kid running running 151 is far more impressive.

----

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...