Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

55222 Views 825 Replies Latest reply: Aug 23, 2008 7:49 PM by Texas_Runner84 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 56 Previous Next
  • valvathoner Rookie 4 posts since
    Dec 14, 2005
    Currently Being Moderated
    210. Dec 29, 2005 12:47 PM (in response to GreenMan093)
    Re: DFW runners! New thread

Hey MichNV.  White Rock is great, but Chisolm Trail in Plano is closer and better choise if windy.  The trail follows a creek from Legacy Road to 15th Street.  It's between Custer Road and Independance. 

Re: Panera, my son works at Panera in Denton.  Try the Black Bean soup (you need the legumes).   

----

Tom
    Survivor and Thriver

• Cora5K Rookie 324 posts since
    Nov 24, 2007
    211. Jan 2, 2006 8:56 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

Would any of you happen to be familiar with the Garmin Forerunner 201?  If so, what factors might affect it's accuracy?  I got one for Christmas, and have been tickled pink with it up until yesterday's run.  It had me running what seemed a shorter distance than what I thought (but a new route, so figured it was right), but at a pace that I haven't ran in over six years...like two minutes PER MILE slower than my average daily run.  So, I thought I just had a really crappy run, and felt a little discouraged with myself.  Then, got to wondering if maybe it was wrong (would be nice to blame it on technology, and not on me  ).  So, tonight I ran a route I was pretty familiar with.  Knew for sure that it was a little over five miles.  Garmin said I only ran four, and that I did it at a nine minute per mile pace.  I've never ran at a nine minute pace.  Maybe if I was pregnat or something.  So, now I'm really doubting the Garmin's accuracy.  Would the smoke in the air have something to do with it?  Also, I wore in face down on my wrist because it hits against my wrist bone when I wear it normal.  Would that interfere with the gps signal?  Should it be worn on the arm or something?  I hate wearing stuff there because it rubs.  Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing gps problems right now.

----

Cora[/URL" target="_blank">

• lrintex Rookie 4 posts since
    Dec 26, 2005
    214. Jan 3, 2006 10:35 AM (in response to GreenMan093)

quote:

Originally posted by GreenMan:

You don't say whether you're in Dallas or FW. If the latter, I'd recommend the Haltom Stampede on the 11th; it's a 5K and 10K, and the 5K is on a pretty fast course. It's also well-organized and fun, with a finish in the stadium on the high school track. I ran the 10K last year; it was my best race of the year.

If you're in Dallas, there are a couple of 5Ks at White Rock Lake put on by the CCCD or Thruston; either should be fine for your purposes.

I am in S. Arlington. Were you talking about the 11 of Feb? That would be awesome! What exactly is ment by fast course? I will google it and see what I find. Thanks!
    Laurie

• 2percenter Rookie 46 posts since
    Aug 23, 2005
    215. Dec 22, 2007 5:46 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

Cora

Did you ever hear it beep at you with a "weak GPS signal"? If it loses a signal, it will just "draw a line" from the last point it captured to the first one it gets when it regains a signal. So, unless you run in a straight line the whole time the signal is lost it will cut distance. If you didn't get a weak signal, then a difference of about 1 mile on a 5 mile run sounds extreme. If I keep a signal and run a route I know to be 3.0 miles by the car, I get variation from about 2.8 to 3.1, but not as bad as you saw.

It is frustrating when it blanks out on you for no apparent reason. This happened to me a lot yesterday with hardly a cloud in the sky and no trees in sight. If you want to get really particular about knowing your mileage when it turns up a run wrong, I would recommend downloading Sportstracks which will map your route on a satellite map. Then try to figure out where it cut distance from your route with the scale or something. Should work in theory, but never done it myself. The map will at least give you a general idea of how far off it was.

Sportstracks[/URL" target="_blank">

[http://This message has been edited by 2percenter (edited Jan-03-2006).|http://This message has been edited by 2percenter (edited Jan-03-2006).]

• Serious Runner Rookie 56 posts since
    Feb 15, 2001
    216. Jan 3, 2006 1:22 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

I also got a 201 for Christmas. Here's what I've noted.

My "4 mile loop," which I had biked at 3.97 showed up as 3.93 on my 201. Not bad as my bike wasn't calibrated properly before and after the ride.

My "5 mile loop," which I had biked at 4.71 showed up as 4.73. Again, pretty good.

However, my out-and-back route had me running about 1/10-mile further on the way out than normal. No big deal as the route could be off. However, for the first couple of days, my return trip meant that I also had to run about an extra .1 miles to hit 6 miles. Finally, the return trip finished within 25-30 yards of the start. That's pretty reasonable.

I've been wearing it on my wrist, but I'm thinking about trying it on my arm.

One of the things that probably forces me to run longer is that the trails are wiggly for appearance purposes. If I ran in a straight line, I would probably be more accurate. Motion Based shows my 201 3-mile route to be 3.09. I'm betting that if I ran on straight streets, I would be fairly accurate.

I took mine to the track and set it to meters. I then walked 3 laps of the track. It came back with 402, 405, and 407 meters. That's probably pretty reasonable.

I'm not totally thrilled with mine, but I also have a GPS system for my car. There are times when it shows me to be on an adjacent street. Thus, I know not to expect 100% accuracy.

I'm gonna dowmload sportstracks to see what it's like.

Nov 24, 2007
    218. Jan 4, 2006 12:26 AM (in response to GreenMan093)

Haltom is a fast course.  Before I tried Hit the Bricks last year, Haltom was my 5K PR race.  Not to say it's an easy course, but it is fast.  The 10K course is a bit more challenging with steep, but not too long, hills.

As for the 201, yeah, I've pretty much decided I need to wear it facing up. I'm sure my wrist bone will toughen up eventually. No, my route was not a straight line. It was ten times around my block with an added cul-de-sac. No, I didn't hear a beep, but I had headphones on. My eyesight is pretty bad, so except for the big numbers that show my overall time, I can't even see it while I'm running. I'll get it figured out. It's just frustrating. Kind of gave me a false sense of security. I liked being able to just go run, instead of doing lap after lap around my block. Thanks for all the suggestions.

----

Cora[/URL" target="_blank">

• Serious Runner Rookie 56 posts since
    Feb 15, 2001
    219. Jan 5, 2006 10:34 AM (in response to GreenMan093)

If you can't see the 201 due to your eyesight, then wearing it on your bicep won't be an issue. I tried mine on my bicep last night. I didn't notice it was there, and it was a lot more accurate. My 4 loop course measured out at 5.75 on the 201 and 5.79 when I uploaded it to Motionbased. The laps came in at 1.45, 1.44, 1.42, 1.44.

The previous night, on the same course, I got laps that ranged from 1.25 to 1.51 miles. When I mapped it on MB, it showed some outliers points. Last night's run didn't have any outliers. My 4 loops were all identical to each other as the map looked like I took a highlighter to it to show my route.

I'm wondering if my body blocks the signal at times when wearing it on my wrist since I tend to run with my hands close to the body.

Nov 24, 2007
    220. Jan 5, 2006 11:34 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

Wore it on my bicep tonight, as suggested, and it worked fine.  Not too uncomfortable.  I haven't tried doing anything on the computer with it yet.  In fact, the only features I use is stop and start.  I look at the history, and it tells me distance, pace, "fastest pace" (which I think is inaccurate), and total time.  I haven't messed with any of the other features because I'm afraid I'll mess it up.

• wndctyrnr Rookie 12 posts since
    Oct 8, 2003
    221. Jan 6, 2006 12:43 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

DFW runners. I just moved to Dallas and looking for a running group. Any suggestions? I am training for an end of May marathon. I stopped in Luke's Locker and they said they didn't know of any winter programs.

• Ray Andrews Rookie 226 posts since
    Dec 6, 2007
    222. Dec 22, 2007 5:46 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

quote:

Originally posted by wndctyrnr:

DFW runners. I just moved to Dallas and looking for a running group. Any suggestions? I am training for an end of May marathon. I stopped in Luke's Locker and they said they didn't know of any winter programs.

You might check with the RunOn store on Mockingbird Lane. (Does Pesiv still work there?)

Then there's Cross Country Club of Dallas. I don't know but what they might have marathon training groups. Their website is www.cccd.org.[/URL" target="_blank">

[http://This message has been edited by Ray Andrews (edited Jan-06-2006).|http://This message has been edited by Ray Andrews (edited Jan-06-2006).]

• pesiv Rookie 246 posts since
    Nov 24, 2002
    223. Jan 7, 2006 5:45 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

quote:

Originally posted by wndctyrnr:

Hi, I'm at the Richardson store now Ray. Its fun a bit of a drive for me though. We have six week long programs that are starting this coming Moday in Richards and Tuesday in Dallas and Coppell. They meet Mondays and Thursdays, and
    Tuesdays and Thursdays respectively, each at 7:00 p.m. There is a fee for the class. The classes are 101, 201, and a speed class. We also have a social run at each store every Wednseday night at 6p.m. distance range from 3, 4, 6, and 8 miles depending on which store you go to. All paces and folk are welcome. CCCD is great club and there are many other local groups as well dending on what part of town you're in.

Cora you may be getting a week signal because of your location. I'm not sure but its just a thought. Hope everyone's doing well. Now if my foot would just stop hurting so I could train .........

----

"all of this pain is an illusion" maynard james keenan
    pesiv[/URL" target="_blank">

log[/URL" target="_blank">

Nov 24, 2007
    224. Jan 7, 2006 10:36 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

That's too bad about your foot Paul.  Do you think you injured it at White Rock?  I hope it's nothing serious, and works itself out.

Wearing the gps on my bicep did the trick.  I couldn't be happier.

1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 56 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...