Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

57560 Views 825 Replies Latest reply: Aug 23, 2008 7:49 PM by Texas_Runner84 Go to original post 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    810. Dec 11, 2007 7:18 PM (in response to GreenMan093)
    Re: DFW runners! New thread

Got an email today from Chris Phelan....he said no mile markers past mile 7 on the Half?  Is that right Cora or anybody else that ran it? That would sure suck. He said he had no idee what pace he was running and did not realize how much he had slowed and missed his goal of sub 1:20.

I dropped right arount the 7 mile mark.....it had started to rain about that point and I was cold and not on pace and WAY too close to my warm house !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

Just want to know...cause if so...I will address this with Marcus. This would not be the first year....a couple of years ago when I ran it,,,,they had mile markers but they were definetly off. That just messes with my head. I need my mile markers.

• Cora5K Rookie 324 posts since
    Nov 24, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    811. Dec 11, 2007 7:40 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

There were mile markers.  Don't know how accurate.  I wish they had been calling pace at mile markers.  Guess Houston spoiled me in that regard.

• Currently Being Moderated
    812. Dec 11, 2007 11:29 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

quote:

Originally posted by sprklep:

I dropped right arount the 7 mile mark.....it had started to rain about that point and I was cold and not on pace and WAY too close to my warm house !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

Maybe you should have worn a little bit more?

Congrats Cora! That's a great time and a nice warm outfit! When I spoke of wanting attention - that is not bad attention. Actually it would be better if all your friends and family knew you run and maybe get them interested as well.

It's bad attention when someone feels they deserve all the attention and are willing to destroy others or do whatever it takes just to get it.

Really

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    813. Dec 12, 2007 3:26 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

quote:

Originally posted by ohreally:

Maybe you should have worn a little bit more?

Congrats Cora! That's a great time and a nice warm outfit! When I spoke of wanting attention - that is not bad attention. Actually it would be better if all your friends and family knew you run and maybe get them interested as well.

It's bad attention when someone feels they deserve all the attention and are willing to destroy others or do whatever it takes just to get it.

Really

Maybe it's just me, but I detect a tone of dislike, envy, or just plain meanness in ohreally's posts, particularly in rebuttal of sprkle's posts.

Unlike ohreally, who can hide behind internet anonymity, Sprkle is known to all of us in the DFW running community. I find her posts honest and insightful, and while she writes in a "tell it like it is" manner, she is generally supportive of her fellow runners and feels strongly about things being done right. Do you have a beef with her ohreally?

I can chime in about the mile markers in the WR half. The last two years I have run the half I could have sworn there were no markers after we separated from the Marathon route. I was told by others that 1) there were markers but that they were of a different type and difficult to see, or 2) they said there weren't any markers. I still don't know. I just know I didn't see any from 7 miles on.

In '05 I ran 1:34:06, and was a bit annoyed I didn't break 1:34. I thought I was well on pace for it, but got confused at seeing only the full marathon markers after the courses met again. For example, at mile marker 25, I couldn't figure out how much farther I had to run. I'll be the first to admit I get stupid toward the end of a long race.

Sprkle, I think the right approach is to mention to the Committee that if they have been putting out separate markers for the later miles of the Half, they aren't doing the job.  Several people have commented on this.  Spareribs

• Cora5K Rookie 324 posts since
    Nov 24, 2007
    814. Dec 12, 2007 4:04 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

You know, now that I think about it, I'm not sure about the mile markers.  Sorry...I was somehow counting down the miles in my head, so there must have been some sort of markings??

• sprklep Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 7, 2007
    815. Jan 25, 2008 4:55 PM (in response to Cora5K)

So has this forum died? I sure had a hard time finding it once Cool Running and Active merged or whatever.

Cline has a new forum...check out.....

http://www.clinesrunningcorner.com/

ONON

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    816. Jan 26, 2008 7:25 AM (in response to sprklep)

Hi gorgeous!   Spareribs

• sprklep Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 7, 2007
    817. Jan 29, 2008 5:34 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Hey Spare!

Sorry I missed your LGRAW race the other day......just TOO cold for me !!

• pesiv Rookie 246 posts since
    Nov 24, 2002
    818. Jan 30, 2008 11:24 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

So how do I find this thread from the home page now?  I had to search DFW to pull it up.  I'm too lazy to work that hard to find this.  I wish they wouldn't have changed it.  It seems more complicated to navigate....

How's everyone doing?

• Lala Running Rookie 107 posts since
    Jul 6, 2006
    819. Jan 30, 2008 11:34 AM (in response to pesiv)

I keep getting an email notifying me every time that a post is done in this thread. Does anyone know why, and how to stop it!!!

• 2percenter Rookie 46 posts since
    Aug 23, 2005
    820. Jan 30, 2008 11:42 AM (in response to Lala Running)

Once you are logged in, you go to the top of the page and there is a link for "My Active" click on that.  Then on the left there is an "Edit Preferences" link.  At that link there are all of the e-mail options.  I know, I just turned them off as well.

I'd like to be participating in the discussion here, but in response to pesiv's "How's everyone doing?" question, I have to say pretty poorly.  Running-wise anyway.  My knee has kept me pretty much out of running for over a year now.  I'm working on it and am trying to be optimistic. 

On that note, I'm on the lookout for good exercises to work each leg indepently to strengthen one of them up.  Also, no/low-impact would be nice!  I know swimming is an option, but I am very very terrible at that.  So, if you come across anything, let me know!

• nupe68 Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 14, 2006
    821. Feb 1, 2008 3:29 AM (in response to 2percenter)

2percenter,

Swimming wasn't in my fav 5!  But for low-impact activity you can't beat it.  Plantar ficiaitus will keep me out of the cowtown this year, but i've kept my conditioning through swimming.  At first , I would get exhausted swimming 5min w/o stopping.  After learning the mechanics, off of the internet of all places, I can swim over an hour comfortably.  I drank way too much pool water for about a month:_|, but it has been worth it.  Give it a try. 

Good luck,

Nupe68

• 2percenter Rookie 46 posts since
    Aug 23, 2005
    822. Feb 1, 2008 8:50 AM (in response to nupe68)

Thanks, nupe!  I know I probably need to man-up and learn how to really swim.  My abilities pretty much max out at a competitive game of Marco Polo right now.  Any way you remember the websites that helped you out?  I'd like to read more before I just try to get better on my own (which I have tried before).

In the meantime, I do plan to try some water exercises, no matter how lame or dorky I look.  Maybe I can practice real swimming while I'm in the pool anyway.

• nupe68 Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 14, 2006
    823. Feb 7, 2008 3:30 AM (in response to 2percenter)

hello 2percenter, check out you tube and search using "swimming technique".  have fun!

• coriander1209 Amateur 63 posts since
    Feb 11, 2008
    824. Jun 16, 2008 9:04 AM (in response to GreenMan093)

does anyone check this thread?

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...