Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

626 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 8, 2007 11:18 AM by loopy069 RSS
BirdDoggin Rookie 8 posts since
Dec 28, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 22, 2007 7:23 PM

new mid-age forum

the addition of a new forum in between the "way Cool" and the "40+" forums (for those of us not quite plodding penguins, yet who tire of the same high school ?'s) would be nice.  Something maybe for the post college 20-30 y.o. crowd.  I see something like this was suggested back in Nov, 2006 also.  Thanks.

[http://This message has been edited by BirdDoggin (edited Feb-20-2007).|http://This message has been edited by BirdDoggin (edited Feb-20-2007).]

• Howard Roark Rookie 4 posts since
    Feb 3, 2007
    1. Mar 5, 2007 5:12 PM (in response to BirdDoggin)
    Re: new mid-age forum

I run with a 54 year old that runs a 2:28 marathon.   Age is not a reliable predictor of speed.

• ZiRunnerGirl Rookie 37 posts since
    May 30, 2006
    2. Mar 8, 2007 5:47 AM (in response to BirdDoggin)

I'd like to see a 30's column too - I'm 37. 

Sherie

• Howard Roark Rookie 4 posts since
    Feb 3, 2007
    3. Mar 8, 2007 10:20 AM (in response to BirdDoggin)

Unless there are specific physiological challenges that are unique to a certain age bracket, there's no need to create a forum for that age bracket.  Age is an amazingly poor predictor of running speed and there are newbies of all ages.  So what's the point of a 20's or 30's forum?

• loopy069 Rookie 218 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Mar 8, 2007 11:18 AM (in response to BirdDoggin)

quote:

Originally posted by Howard Roark:

Unless there are specific physiological challenges that are unique to a certain age bracket, there's no need to create a forum for that age bracket. Age is an amazingly poor predictor of running speed and there are newbies of all ages. So what's the point of a 20's or 30's forum?

There may not be specific physiological challenges for the age group identified by the original poster, but I would say there are specific life challenges. If I was looking for others juggling their running with work, graduate school, and parenting small children, I would suspect that, although not limited to solely this age group, a large number would fall into this age bracket.

If you look at the posts from the existing age group forums, I would argue that many posts are about the life challenges/psychological factors affecting their running rather than physiological ones. These age group forums offer an opportunity to connect with others likely to be facing the same challenges. The fact that there are regular threads for "20s," "30s," in the newbie cafe suggests that there is indeed a desire to connect with others in this age bracket.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...