Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

4421 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 2, 2007 8:22 AM by samdecker
fducoeur Rookie 1 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 26, 2007 9:54 PM

Buying a wetsuit question

I'm going for my 2nd sprint this September and decided I should buy a wetsuit instead of renting one this time.  Any suggestions as to where I should look?  Don't want to spend a fortune.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Jun 27, 2007 7:40 AM (in response to fducoeur)
    Re: Buying a wetsuit question

check local tri shops and dive shops and try them on and see which brand fits you best. you can check ebay and craigslists for bargains. some online shops have deals like : http://goforitsports.com/shop/categories.asp?cat=198 but give your local guy a shot

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• Illgooya Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Jun 27, 2007 4:41 PM (in response to fducoeur)

Wetsuits are for cheaters. Just like those pin heads that draft, A wetsuit has no place in triathlon. The real test is man/woman against the elements. If you don't like the water temp don't race. All a wetsuit does is make the swim portion of a race less a factor in the overall standings.

• RunningGrrl Rookie 6 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Jul 2, 2007 5:26 AM (in response to fducoeur)

"Wetsuits are for cheaters. Just like those pin heads that draft, A wetsuit has no place in triathlon. The real test is man/woman against the elements. If you don't like the water temp don't race. All a wetsuit does is make the swim portion of a race less a factor in the overall standings."

Are you kidding me? Wow, what a crazy person.

I got my wetsuit at wetsuitsonsale.com. One key that I've found is to buy last year's model. Who cares if you're swimming in an 06 - or even earlier. Last year's model can be up to 50+% off!

• bpd1965 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Jul 2, 2007 5:43 AM (in response to fducoeur)

I got mine on E-bay. It is a Lamar that retails new for $499, but I got it for less than $150.

Wetsuits are not for cheaters unless you are using it when the water temp is over 78 and then your time wouldn't count any way.

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    5. Jul 2, 2007 6:39 AM (in response to fducoeur)

no wetsuits are legal if the water isn't too warm but I agree they make the swim easier. it must drive the fast swimmers nuts

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• vmerrell Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    6. Jul 2, 2007 7:14 AM (in response to fducoeur)

You can also check with wetsuitrental.com . They rent out wetsuits for cheap rates ($35 for a week), but they also sell the wetsuits at discounted rates. They carry a few different brands, like Xterra and Orca and some others. I bought an Xterra wetsuit that usually retails for $400 for $150, and it had only been rented out a few times. I was told the company is fairly new, so most of their wetsuits haven't been in circulation for very long. I don't know if that is true, though.

• samdecker Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    7. Jul 2, 2007 8:22 AM (in response to fducoeur)

Illgooya - come up to mountains and race an Xterra tri - water temp may be 60 if it's been warm the last week or so...a mile swim in that water really wakes you up!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...