Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

39007 Views 393 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2011 8:58 AM by Rocky Exline Go to original post 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 27 Previous Next
  • Birchwood Ranger Rookie 14 posts since
    Sep 10, 2004
    Currently Being Moderated
    240. Dec 30, 2005 12:06 PM (in response to Spareribs823)
    Re: Where did you get that handle?

quote:

Originally posted by FlyingFinn:

I'm of Finnish descent. The Olympics in Paris in 1924 were the finest hour of Finnish athletics and Paavo Nurmi (The Flying Finn) in particular. In six days Nurmi won five gold medals: three individual ones and two in team events. His most legendary feat was to win the 1500 and the 5000 meters with less than two hours between the two races.

I'm half Finn. My mom was born and raised there. Lasse Viren also did pretty well at the Olympics!

• Birchwood Ranger Rookie 14 posts since
    Sep 10, 2004
    241. Dec 30, 2005 12:11 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

quote:

Originally posted by FlyingFinn:

I'm of Finnish descent. The Olympics in Paris in 1924 were the finest hour of Finnish athletics and Paavo Nurmi (The Flying Finn) in particular. In six days Nurmi won five gold medals: three individual ones and two in team events. His most legendary feat was to win the 1500 and the 5000 meters with less than two hours between the two races.

I'm a half Finn. My mom was born and raised there. Lasse Viren also had a great career, with 4 Olympic golds.

• 4pom Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 30, 2005
    242. Dec 30, 2005 1:54 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

I run "for peace of mind!" (4pom).  It is time for me to reflect and regenerate.

• DaveinAA035 Legend 742 posts since
    Dec 18, 2005
    243. Dec 30, 2005 2:23 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Well... my name is Dave and I live in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Go Blue! (No connection with Alcoholics Anonynmous  )

• ChickenLady Rookie 23 posts since
    Jul 6, 2001
    244. Dec 30, 2005 2:35 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

I rarely post, but do get a lot of info from all of you, so here's mine:

For about the past 13 years, we have had a sanctuary for chickens at our home.  When people find chickens abandoned or fallen from trucks, they call me or bring them to me.  Or they call someone else who gets in touch with me.  A lot of people don't remember my name, so I'm often referred to (and introduced as) The Chicken Lady.  Even at a funeral, someone went to introduce me and said to his wife, "This is, um, this is the chicken lady I told you about."

• shortmarm Rookie 10 posts since
    Dec 14, 2004
    245. Dec 31, 2005 12:20 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

A person steps away from the internet for a few days and 11 pages later.... Great thread.

My daughter starting calling me Marm/Marmie forevery ago. And at 5'2" I am the shortest person in the immediate family, ergo shortmarm.

Kathie

• RunDiver Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    246. Dec 31, 2005 6:06 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

FINALLY posting -- this last day of 2005 -- after lurking here since July.
    1. Why Here? This is the best forum, greatest topic! I've been following since its rejuvenation in October; never had enough courage to post 'til today.
    2. Why Now? "It's not about the destination. It's all about the path." (See answer 4 for further). Started C25K on 7/27/05; finally reached W6D3 tonight (5 months later; Hurricane interference, among other things.) Ran 2.25 miles (12:00 pace), no walks/stops! What the heck? I repeated a lot of days, a lot of weeks. As an "aging" and injured (knee, pereformis muscle) boomer, I was being overly cautious and enjoying the process, not the goal. Today's run inspires me to "goal" for 2006 -- finish C25K in the next 3 months, run Corporate 5K race in Miami in the Spring. Think about a 1/2 Marathon in the Fall.
    3.  Who am I? 52-year young boomer; retired federal civil servant; rejuvenated, one-time Marathon runner (1990 Marine Corps; 3:32:52). Started running again in the middle of a Florida humid summer because someone said it would help alleviate my "hot flashes". Yeah, right. What was I thinking? 95 degree, 90% humidity, and I am not an early-morning runner. Guess that's another reason why it's taken me so long to reach Week 6.
    4. Why the handle? Seriously practicing yoga for 5 years; scuba diving for 18 years (405 dives). Didn't feel confident enough when I signed up to call myself a runner. Now I do.
    Thanks all for inspiring me by your endeavors. May we all meet along paths of some type somewhere during 2006.

----

AngelFish}}}</b>

• gatorman10 Legend 242 posts since
    Apr 23, 2003
    247. Dec 31, 2005 6:12 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

I wrestle gators.. 

• Econo011 Legend 1,429 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    248. Dec 31, 2005 8:22 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Chickenlady, shortmarm, yogini & gatorman, what are you doin' lurking in the doorway?  Come on inside & pull up a chair.  Nice to meet ya; post often!

• anachrotech031 Pro 144 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    249. Dec 31, 2005 8:45 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

I love science fiction as well as the Victorian era.

----

My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• triandstopme044 Rookie 1,135 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    250. Jan 1, 2006 12:54 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

I’d originally signed onto CR last January with a more boring handle, but after reading this threat, I wanted to come up with something a little more interesting to post under.   (Though strangely, I forgot to post it here!)  The new handle is a nod to my current status as a tri-wannabe and the fact that what I lack in speed and athletic gifts, I make up for with dogged determination.   I remember when I was 9 or 10 playing one-on-one football (it was small, small town) with a lean and lanky boy.  I wasn’t any of those things then.  I’m still working on the “lean” – the “lanky” and “boy” parts are out of the question.   Anyway, I remember having the ball and starting somewhere around my end zone.  It didn’t take him long to catch me.  First he tried to tackle me.  That wasn’t going to happen.  Then he just tried to hang onto one of my legs.  I plodded on, dragging him with me.  Finally, in desperation, he jumped onto my back.  I, of course, just carried him across the goal line for a touch down.  Funny, but he never wanted to play football with me again. 

This year’s BSIM was my first marathon. I didn’t make the 5hr30min cut-off for “official finishers,” but from the start, I knew that as long didn’t get seriously injured or killed along the way, I was definitely going to finish.

Cycling’s my first sport (if you don’t count juggling), so once I got the first marathon checked off, I immediately started to work on my swimming. I've got a ways to go on that, too, but I know I'll get there.

Go ahead, triandstopme. ;-)

Barb

• LaTortuga13 Legend 1,786 posts since
    Nov 12, 2007
    251. Jan 1, 2006 2:14 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

La Tortuga represents a purposeful decision to slow down a bit - a more relaxed and enjoyable spped of life.

• soot Pro 157 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    252. Jan 1, 2006 11:17 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

This is soot:

• Econo011 Legend 1,429 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    253. Jan 2, 2006 12:23 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

What an adorable kitty!

• nighthawk42 Pro 119 posts since
    Nov 4, 2005
    254. Jan 20, 2006 5:01 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

page 2 bump cause I wanted to review a few names.

BTW--since I'm here

Nighthawk comes from the name of the stealth fighter, b/c a few have said that I fly under the radar. The 42 is for 42K, the marathon.

Runner formally known as 26pt2mike

1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 27 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...