Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

39127 Views 393 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2011 8:58 AM by Rocky Exline Go to original post 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 27 Previous Next
  • Econo011 Legend 1,429 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    330. Aug 31, 2006 11:00 PM (in response to Spareribs823)
    Re: Where did you get that handle?

Improveswithage, I dunno.  I think I'd rather call you Wheetabix!

• jura Legend 566 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    331. Sep 1, 2006 1:11 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

improveswithage,
    I wouldn't give up on bix, you can try other then #'s to make it unique, like capital letters, double letters (bixx), add your name (davebix, bixdave etc,) wbix for the first letter of your last name - just to name a few. But I like your current handle, too...
    Julia

• Legend 532 posts since
    Jul 15, 2006
    332. Dec 22, 2007 7:35 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

quote:

Originally posted by ImprovesWithAge:

Who the hell is this other bix guy anyway, and why did he steal my handle? what kinda name is that? Or did I create it in a Guinness-enhanced-fog one night last year and just forget?

Maybe bix refers to the Bix 7[/URL" target="_blank">, a huge event in Davenport, Iowa, named for a deceased cornet player.

--

<br />Fortunatea volleyballer with a running problem
    Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

[http://This message has been edited by Fortunate One (edited Sep-01-2006).|http://This message has been edited by Fortunate One (edited Sep-01-2006).]

• scooney Amateur 21 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    333. Sep 1, 2006 9:54 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Real simple real boring. scooney is for first initial "s" for Scott + my last name Cooney =  scooney

• ImprovesWithAge Rookie 3 posts since
    Aug 29, 2006
    334. Dec 22, 2007 7:35 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Here's a post in reverse - me figuring out someone else's handle who has **not realized the need**  to 'splain it to us airheads. Now I know what dumb blondes feel like - or do they ever catch on??

I've been lurking for a week, then started contributing this week.
    I see Ileneforward posting all over the place - quite the author, she. At least I think she's a she. I'll imagine another goddess, anyway. Post a pic, eh?

Where was I? Oh yeah, her handle. Always sounded a bit awkward to me. What was this "forward" part all about... a very assertive woman??? forwardIlene would have sounded better, then. Just seemed like a goofy non-sequitur. But considering some of the other handles, I figured you were just a bunch of oddballs.

finally at about 1am today it hit me. Why do my brain cells seem to work better when exhausted? I-lean-forward, her running style. Duh!!!!
    Gotta be!
    What else?

I'm usually good at figuring stuff out, but this one had me stumped, and I did spend some minutes wrestling with it. One long continuous "booomer moment".
    I-L-F, we're not as bright as you think. Gotta help us out here. The handle thread's been up a yr and a half. Didja think it was a no brainer? Didja think I'm the no-brainer? well.... maybe

So, all you EZ-handles out there, don't take the boomers for granted any more. Spill the beans. And a few more profiles and pics wouldn't go wasted either. If you don't know how, just ask. Help us newbies get to know ya better.

No dog photos please, unless they've been vetted in advance by the Committee To Protect Our Stomachs, Nerves, Senses, and Sleep.

{{{{{Dave's Brain}}}}}
    ----

ImprovesWithAge
    Me in 2006[/URL" target="_blank">

[http://This message has been edited by ImprovesWithAge (edited Sep-01-2006).|http://This message has been edited by ImprovesWithAge (edited Sep-01-2006).]

• Caskof43028 Rookie 11 posts since
    Dec 22, 2005
    335. Sep 1, 2006 10:52 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

I am a huge fan of the Canadian Rock band RUSH.  On their third album Caress of Steel the last song is an epic titled:  Fountain of Lamneth.  It is a 6 part song.  The fifth part of the song is called Bacchus Plateau.    The chorus of the song is:

"Draw another goblet
    From the cask of '43
    Crimson misty memory
    Hazy glimpse of me
    Give me back my wonder
    - I've something more to give
    I guess it doesn't matter
    - There's not much more to live"

I am a member of several music communities and have carried the Caskof43 handle for a while now.

• Caskof43028 Rookie 11 posts since
    Dec 22, 2005
    336. Sep 1, 2006 10:55 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

I am a huge fan of the Canadian Rock band RUSH.  On their third album Caress of Steel the last song is an epic titled:  Fountain of Lamneth.  It is a 6 part song.  The fifth part of the song is called Bacchus Plateau.    The chorus of the song is:

"Draw another goblet
    From the cask of '43
    Crimson misty memory
    Hazy glimpse of me
    Give me back my wonder
    - I've something more to give
    I guess it doesn't matter
    - There's not much more to live"

I am a member of several music communities and have carried the Caskof43 handle for a while now.

• alohadreamer Amateur 35 posts since
    Jan 1, 2006
    337. Sep 1, 2006 11:04 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

DUH! Ultimate in dumb-i didn't even know to use a "handle"-How un-sav vy! Then once I realized it, couldn't change it (good thing most runners aren't stalkers)

• Tetsujin30 Legend 945 posts since
    Jan 1, 2006
    338. Sep 2, 2006 12:17 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

Originally posted by ImprovesWithAge:

I-lean-forward, her running style. Duh!!!! Gotta be! What else?

[/QUOTE]

Sorry Weetabix but, like so many of us, you've been seduced down the primrose path by supreme goddess ilene (only you've fallen faster than most). Check page 11 herein to find out that her name is not necessarily from running form but from the name games she occasionally, if not regularly, delights upon us (much of the time without us even knowing). As a resuolt, we still suspect she chose this punning name over others because of a running connection but other theories abound.

Incidentally, Mr.

Weetabix

, which is what I will wisely call you, it's always a wise idea to heed the goddesses, especially when they are so smart, e.g. aonther example !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/frown.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/frown.gif|border=0!BSc, PhD, PDQ, etc.)

Originally posted by Econo:

Improveswithage, I dunno. I think I'd rather call you Wheetabix!

[/QUOTE]

• seesusirun Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 15, 2004
    339. Sep 2, 2006 1:09 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Mine is from the old "Dick and Jane" readers that I used in grade school.  I always loved the rhythmic tones of "See Jane run.  Run, Jane, run."  And since those wre beginning readers, and I was a beginning runner the reference seemed appropriate.

The nickname susi is what I use in all of my internet forum adventures. Thus, seesusirun. On knittersreview.com it's susiknits.

And so forth...

-- susi

• Sans Souci027 Legend 1,203 posts since
    Sep 9, 2005
    340. Dec 22, 2007 7:35 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Welcome, seesusirun.

Are you sure that shouldn't read seesoucirun?;-)
    (We'd combine for quite a tongue-twithter.)

I've found it very difficult to knit and run. A shame, really, although I make my share of boo-boos when I'm seated, so perhaps it's a good thing after all.

Post often!

[http://This message has been edited by Sans Souci (edited Sep-02-2006).|http://This message has been edited by Sans Souci (edited Sep-02-2006).]

• oldgraydog Rookie 61 posts since
    Jun 4, 2006
    341. Sep 2, 2006 4:04 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Is this the oldest active thread?  Spareribs (are you still out there) started it in January of 2005, well before I found this site.

My "handle" actually isn't just because of my age (60 orbits around the sun) and color of hair and beard. I worked up a song for my wife for our 35th wedding anniversary and part of the chorus goes
    "Well, it's very plain to see that your the best thing that could happen to an old gray dog like me.  I'm good with what I got.. Got enough to get me through.  The only thing that I need more of, is more of good old you" and took the handle from it.  (Given the words you probably can guess that it isn't a hip hop song and probably won't be surprised to find out I live in the mountains of northeast Tennessee).

• Soundrunner1012 Legend 255 posts since
    Jun 20, 2006
    342. Sep 2, 2006 7:20 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Another easy one here -- I live on Puget Sound.  My favorite runs are those with a view of the Sound and, on a clear day, the Olympic Mountains.   My birthday was tacked on to get it registered here.

• tomwhite Legend 2,011 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    343. Sep 3, 2006 1:52 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

quote:

Originally posted by oldgraydog:

........... won't be surprised to find out I live in the mountains of northeast Tennessee).

..........Cumberland Plateau here,,,,,,,always a welcome to another Vols fan.......

• oldgraydog Rookie 61 posts since
    Jun 4, 2006
    344. Sep 3, 2006 4:48 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

quote:

Originally posted by tomwhite:

..........Cumberland Plateau here,,,,,,,always a welcome to another Vols fan.......

If they are as good as they looked yesterday big Phil may keep his job after all.

----

Life is what happens to you while you're making other plans. Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you really wanted.

1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 27 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...