Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3033 Views 29 Replies Latest reply: Dec 15, 2007 9:02 PM by easytarget061 RSS 1 2 Previous Next
baldassini Amateur 12 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 26, 2005 7:01 AM

Garmin Forerunner 301 VS Polar  625X

Would like some input on these to speed,Distance,HRM units. I currently use a Polar Portrainer XT and have been a Polar user for many years. I want to upgrade to one of the aforementioned Products. Any Pros and Cones about them. Cost is not a problem, performance and reliablity is though

• racefanok Rookie 5 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Feb 28, 2005 1:03 PM (in response to baldassini)
    Re: Garmin Forerunner 301 VS Polar 625X

I have no experience with the Polar 625X.  However. I have recently purchased the Garmin Forerunner 301.  I have really enjoyed using it.  My run times and distances have improved by using the data it provides.  I am not bothered by the size of the wrist unit, which i was concerned about, and the size of the display makes it very easy to see while running.  The controls are also easy to use.  I have not downloaded information to the computer yet to experiment with the supplied software. 

I would recommend the Garmin based on my use.

• JGreenOC Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Mar 1, 2005 3:25 PM (in response to baldassini)

I used a Polar HRM, but it was a mid-level model. I couldn't connect it to a PC.

I recently purchased the Forerunner 301. I've only been using it a week, but it's great. Set up is minimal. I am new to the area, so being able to map my routes and see them on a detailed map is greatly helpful. I have not used the training partner or the interval training features yet, but if they are as good as the standard features, I should be more than pleased. Although it is a bit bulky, I really like my Forerunner. I just need to get the mounting kit so i can put it on my bike.

• MikeBawn Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Mar 4, 2005 8:51 AM (in response to baldassini)

I found the Garmin from the GPS Store on-line for $229.  It shipped in 1 day and arrived 2 days after that.  Every other place wanted $299.   I've had it 2 weeks and I love it.

• rkarboviak Pro 154 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    5. Mar 6, 2005 7:56 PM (in response to baldassini)

No experience with GF 301, but with Polar 625x.  I found the foot pod to be slightly off, compared to my GPS Timex Speed & Distance watch.  I also didn't like how the foot pod wouldn't read unless the heart rate strap was on you, too.  I was able to test this thing out for free to use it for our fitness center's sports programs.  The business bought it, and I got to 'play' with it.  I'd use it for long distance running, but for short distances like 100m or less, it can't get much of an accurate reading like a GPS monitor watch can.

Rick Karboviak, CSCS

www.thetipedge.com

• jtaylor1024 Amateur 31 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    6. Mar 9, 2005 4:28 PM (in response to baldassini)

I have a garmin 201 and have had great luck with the gps features... I use it all the time.  I also use Topofusion to view the data which makes it easy to 3d render your workouts with high rez satellite and/or arial photos.  The training partner feature is also useful for faster workouts.  I think that adding the hr monitor makes it a pretty darned useful device overall.

• astitz Amateur 11 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    8. May 31, 2005 5:25 PM (in response to baldassini)

Dennis or whoever would like to comment....are you still happy with the Forerunner 301?  I'm looking to treat myself to either the 301 or 625X with a small bonus I just received.  I really like knowing my distance on runs to be able calculate my pace.  I'm nervous about spending this amount of money on either unit and not having accurate distance measurments.  One the big concerns I hear about GPS units in  general is running under trees and losing the signal.  Is this a major concern?  Comments?

Also, hows the HM on the 301?  I think this is Garmin's intro into the HM market.  Any problems or comments?

• rkarboviak Pro 154 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    9. Jun 2, 2005 5:12 AM (in response to baldassini)

I've heard good comments on the 301 from a couple of my clients who train for marathons.  I'm interested in getting a 201 or 301 this summer.  I'm a big advocate for GPS monitors in general.  I wrote an article that was published in the NSCA's S&C Journal on using such technology, and I think it aids today's athlete quite effectively. 

Rick Karboviak, CSCS

www.thetipedge.com

Jul 9, 2007
    10. Jun 2, 2005 4:12 PM (in response to baldassini)

Thanks Rick for the thumbs up vote on GPS monitors.  Do your clients find them very accurate or only good enough for what they want to do?  Any of them complain about signal loss when going under heavy tree areas (trail running)?

• jtpatena Amateur 7 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    11. Jun 3, 2005 7:47 AM (in response to baldassini)

I have a Forerunner 201 and satellite signal is occasionally lost under tree cover. However, the device recalibrates once you are back out in the open. It also sucks in cities with tall buildings, which makes use at the start of some urban races problematic. For these reasons the Forerunner is more accurate over longer distances.

The bigger annoyance is the lag time of the forerunner to show "current" pace. From a dead stop, it often takes 20 seconds or more to accurately reflect your speed. It will start at 25 min/mile or slower and only eventually show that you are actually running 8 min/mile which you instictively know you were doing when you left your doorstep.

With that said, I pay more attention to the pace during races, appreciate the Forerunner's interval setting options and recording of average pace over the course of a run. It's a great training aide, while biking, too.

My biggest complaint is that I have been unable to get my home PC to establish a connection with the Forerunner when plugged in. this has prevented me from updating the firmware in the unit (from 3.30 to 3.50) or downloading the available logbook and mapping software to create routes.

I'm waiting for help from Garmin's tech support. Hopefully a solution is at hand. Even if one isn't, I enjoy my Forerunner immensely and will continue to use it -- if I don't unload it on a running buddy and move up to a Forerunner 301.

Jul 9, 2007
    12. Jun 3, 2005 11:39 AM (in response to baldassini)

How's its tracking ability on cloudy and/or cloudy rainy days?

• jtpatena Amateur 7 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    13. Jun 3, 2005 12:56 PM (in response to baldassini)

I can't recall, over the past year I've had my Forerunner 201, having trouble with it on cloudy days.

I just got the bugger's firmware updated and all my run logged. Turns out the problem was me. I'm too embarassed to provide details.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...