Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

10392 Views 78 Replies Latest reply: Feb 21, 2008 6:34 AM by JPGarland 1 2 3 ... 6 Previous Next
dtoce Legend 383 posts since
Nov 10, 2003
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 22, 2007 7:53 PM

Marathon running/heart damage...

• Karl Rysted Legend 512 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Mar 15, 2007 3:54 PM (in response to dtoce)
    Re: Marathon running/heart damage...

Doc Dale:

Did you know we're summer '61 birth buddies? Anyway, I'm all in favor of us marathoners getting our hearts checked out. In case you didn't see it, here are the threads about my symptoms and test last fall:

http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/Forum13/HTML/008049.shtml[/URL" target="_blank">

http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/Forum13/HTML/008102.shtml[/URL" target="_blank">

----

My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• cajohnson5 Legend 567 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Mar 15, 2007 4:10 PM (in response to dtoce)

Dr. Dale -- first I wanted to say have really missed your posts lately.
    Read quickly through all of the articles. I have to agree about the importance of adequate training for a marathon and without it, you run heart-related risks. I got in a little bit of trouble at the end of my last one and ended up in the medical tent afterward. Am I going to stop running marathons? No. Am I going to increase my mileage before the next one? Yes. Am I going to ignore symptoms at the end of a race in order to get across the line? Probably. At the very least, I understand the mentality.
    Did the study monitor other factors such as hydration, etc. of the runners during the race? I might have read too quickly, but didn't notice anything about that, and was wondering if that factored in any way.

• roy c Legend 452 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Mar 15, 2007 5:05 PM (in response to dtoce)

So is it better for your heart to keep your training in the high 40's miles per week, with a gradual build up of course.
    Roy

• running monk Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 26, 2006
    4. Mar 15, 2007 5:08 PM (in response to dtoce)

I have to admit that this new awareness brought on by last years events did make me dust off the heart rate monitor to keep an eye on how I pace my training runs by effort, not just by time. Its really helped me to make sure I keep my easy days easy at no more than 70%. Its also helped push myself on hard days within healthy boundaries.

Sadly in a couple of those death's last year the runners were in good health before the race and they were experienced runners.

• bigapplepie Legend 2,455 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Dec 22, 2007 7:53 PM (in response to dtoce)

I'm not one for scare stories. The vitamin story was backed up by EU research that has led to the regulation of supplements.

In saying that, running is extremely dangerous for the heart. Two of mine have exploded since I started running. Fortunately I was born with three.

Physical activity should be avoided at all time along with any "fad" diets that include fresh fruit and vegetables.

[http://This message has been edited by bigapplepie (edited Mar-15-2007).|http://This message has been edited by bigapplepie (edited Mar-15-2007).]

• Sans Souci027 Legend 1,203 posts since
    Sep 9, 2005
    6. Dec 22, 2007 7:53 PM (in response to dtoce)

I don't know if FireFox is omitting some text, but I found this interesting (in the third link):

"In spite of developing chest pain, another athlete who died had continued training for three weeks, including a 40 mile run."

Extraordinary!

So what's an aging boomer to do? The lure of the "less-is-more" program is great when one suffers overuse injuries when building miles. Does speedwork stress the heart (in a good way) in a similar way additional miles might? Is it better to do three high-quality workouts a week or two plus more mileage days?

[http://This message has been edited by Sans Souci (edited Mar-15-2007).|http://This message has been edited by Sans Souci (edited Mar-15-2007).]

• Holly S. Legend 1,828 posts since
    Nov 26, 2007
    7. Mar 15, 2007 6:25 PM (in response to dtoce)

Scary stuff.  I read an article about this a couple of months ago and called my general practitioner to ask if he thought I should get my heart checked.  He said if I had not exhibited any alarming symptoms or had any other risk factors, he didn't think so. 

But then, due to tendinitis issues, I had to reduce my mileage for three weeks during the high-mileage time of my training, which I'm sure puts me right into the not-adequately-rained category these articles speak of.

I guess I'll find out soon enough.

----

Holly[/URL" target="_blank">

• nighthawk42 Pro 119 posts since
    Nov 4, 2005
    9. Mar 15, 2007 6:54 PM (in response to dtoce)

quote:

Originally posted by Sans Souci:

So what's an aging boomer to do? The lure of the "less-is-more" program is great when one suffers overuse injuries when building miles. Does speedwork stress the heart (in a good way) in a similar way additional miles might? Is it better to do three high-quality workouts a week or two plus more mileage days?

What the aging boomer should do, is the same as what other athletes do and that is to train approriately.

The reality is, marathoning is now a big business and to get people out there you can't advertise that it takes years to to build the required base.  How many RW would sell if the cover said 5 Years to Your Best Marathon...we need instant gratification....but I digress...

The heart is a muscle and we need to give it the same consideration we give our legs in running. Does speed work help you for a long run, not really (yes I know there is some benefit) and will running long make you faster, not really. Speed work will help build the pumping action to move the volume of blood, but long runs work the heart at an elevated level for a long time. Both are necessay for success. And just like our legs, it needs stress and recovery, stress and recovery and over time the adaptations will propel you to a level that can handel the affects of a marathon.

There are no shorts cuts and runners need to accept that and enjoy the training experience.

Thanks Dale!!

Mike

• tomwhite Legend 2,011 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    10. Mar 15, 2007 7:07 PM (in response to dtoce)

................well put mike//.........(as I sit nodding my head reading this)......

.........good thread dtoce......

• Econo011 Legend 1,429 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    11. Mar 15, 2007 7:09 PM (in response to dtoce)

What are the statistics on heart attacks among fans at football games?  The ambulances are always close by at games.  I think, statistically, the sheer numbers of runners in the marquis races means that somebody's likely to have a heart attack anyway.

• Sans Souci027 Legend 1,203 posts since
    Sep 9, 2005
    13. Mar 15, 2007 7:27 PM (in response to dtoce)

quote:

Originally posted by Sans Souci:

"In spite of developing chest pain, another athlete who died had continued training for three weeks, including a 40 mile run."

Extraordinary!

Should clarify. Extraordinary for two reasons:

I chuckled at the awkward sentence structure; I read this as though the runner continued training after death. !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/rolleyes.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/rolleyes.gif|border=0!

Not knowing what kind of chest pain might sound the alarm -- still, it's hard to believe one would do a 40-miler after chest pain.  Guess you really should listen to your heart.

• SMP Legend 1,297 posts since
    Sep 29, 2007
    14. Mar 15, 2007 7:41 PM (in response to dtoce)

Now I'm really glad I'm having a physical before the big race in May.

----

Blessings along the journey, SteveP

My User Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

1 2 3 ... 6 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...