Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7116 Views 52 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2010 12:41 AM by jmswlsn77 Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • dg9005 Legend 1,324 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Mar 23, 2007 3:59 PM (in response to Tamalina)
    Re: If you were an activist

This is not well thought out. It is not making light of earlier posts which I'll read more carefully later.   but...
    global worming.
    couldn't resist.

• nighthawk42 Pro 119 posts since
    Nov 4, 2005
    31. Mar 23, 2007 5:29 PM (in response to Tamalina)

When I brought my idea that this topic was inappropriate for this forum, it was not because I don’t think political or religious discussions should not be talked about.  I do.  And I’ll gladly, and openly, debate the various issues, and I think that should be done, especially in America at this time.

What brought us to Cool Running in the first place, was because we are runners. What brought us to Boomers, was we are over 40 runners and in the past year or so, IMO, and this is only my opinion, the level of running discussion has gone down. I used politics and religion where I should have used gardening, pets and others as my example. I understand the need to connect with our fellow runners and think it is great that we have an idea of who each other is in the real world. But again, in my opinion, we have strayed from the charter, if you will, of Boomers at the expense of good running discussion, for all levels. Over and over, I’ve seen good running questions get ignored or threads prematurely die because of lack of response. As an example, Tall posted a good thread about A-D races, and there are only 4 replies, yet in a non-running related thread there are close to, if not over 30 replies. If that’s the evolution of B&B, so be it, I accept that and I’m certainly not going pitch-a-fit. I’ll either adapt or quietly move on.

I’m not picking on Tammy’s topic nor am I trolling for fight or to cause disruption. As a member here for many years now, I just took this opportunity to speak my peace.

My activist stance: Bring back quality running discussion to B&B for ALL to learn from.

Thanks for listening

Mike

• jemmama Legend 260 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    32. Dec 22, 2007 8:08 PM (in response to Tamalina)

quote:

Originally posted by roy c:

I would like the opportunity to vote for Hilary. ( I suppose I was doing well till then)        !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|border=0!
    Roy

My cause would be to cancel out Roy's vote with mine. !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|border=0!

ETA: If I had seen Mike's thoughtful post first, I probably wouldn't have posted my flippant-but-good-humored response. I do agree with Mike.
    Politics and religion deserve their own forums, and causes we care about are so often based on our political or religious views.

[http://This message has been edited by jemmama (edited Mar-23-2007).|http://This message has been edited by jemmama (edited Mar-23-2007).]

• tomwhite Legend 2,011 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    33. Mar 23, 2007 6:12 PM (in response to Tamalina)

.........I always agree with mike//.........but I'd like a Ban On Prescription Drug Advertising on TV.......

........a Pet Peeve of mine.........

• tomwhite Legend 2,011 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    34. Mar 23, 2007 6:14 PM (in response to Tamalina)

.........ok, 80% of the Time I agree with mike/////

• flkjr52096 Legend 243 posts since
    Nov 14, 2006
    36. Mar 23, 2007 7:01 PM (in response to Tamalina)

Wow, aren't some of us a little touchy about the topics of discussion. My take is, if you don't like the topic of the thread, move on. I am continually impressed with the knowledge and passion of many on the forum, but am disappointed that some would like to mold it to there likeing.

I don't read every post of every topic but browse and chime in when I might have something to contribute...some of you should learn to do the same!

Fran

• Dark Horse Legend 1,684 posts since
    Oct 9, 2005
    37. Mar 23, 2007 7:07 PM (in response to Tamalina)

With all due respect to Nighthawk, who is a fine fellow, I think we should let people discuss what they want to discuss. Saying, "You shouldn't discuss thisyou ought to be discussing something else," is like standing on the beach and telling the tide not to come in. People will naturally gravitate to the threads that pique their interest. <br /><br />I'm sure Tallrunner's thread, which Mike refers to, is excellent, but Tall is more serious about his running than 99% of the people here. I risk injury just reading about his workouts. That said, I will now dutifully head over to his thread, on Nighthawk's recommendation.<br /><br />Dark Horse<br /><br />--

I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course

• Jim24315 Legend 1,987 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    38. Mar 23, 2007 8:06 PM (in response to Tamalina)

Personally, I think Nighthawk's primary point isn't whether or not the topic is political, religious or whatever. More to the point is that it's not about running for people 40 and over. Gardening, pets, favorite movies, favorite songs...I've seen entire threads on these topics. They are just as inappropriate for a running forum as a political discussion, imo.

But Dark Horse has a point. People are going to gravitate to the places that pique there interest. They have a right to talk about whatever they want, and so they do.

My solution is to visit places such as 50 plus, Competitive Wire, and Mainstream Racing when I went to talk and read about running, and some of the others when I'm looking for a change of pace. The "If you were an activist?" title caugt my eye, so in the door I came. Interesting thread, actually.

• hally Legend 1,194 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    39. Mar 24, 2007 9:44 AM (in response to Tamalina)

I wasn't going to post but since I've been called out (twice) I will say that while I may or may not agree with topics posted on B&B this is YOUR forum, the members here. The mods are here to answer questions and help out in general (and yes, resizing photos but I would do that were I not a mod, the fact that I can edit a post that is not mine only makes it easier) and only to censor if someone is attacking another or using language not acceptable for the site. The rules of the forum do ask to keep it on topic, and that the mods may delete things that they deem off topic. But I don't think you folks want us to be that kind of mod.

Barb

• dtoce Legend 383 posts since
    Nov 10, 2003
    40. Dec 22, 2007 8:08 PM (in response to Tamalina)

well said Hally/Barb...

Despite the interesting topics that have come up and are 'off topic', I personally think that there needs to be some enrichment of various topics to keep interest beyond running despite it being a

running board

. Unless there are attacks, almost all topics should be allowed, people can respond or not.

But...

Unfortunately, I am more of Mike's mind when it comes to pure NRR topics and I have less interest personally. I simply do not have the time for it. Over the 5 years or so that I've posted here, there were many people who were very good to great Master's runners who have come here and since moved on. They learned, evolved and left. These would include Ron D (rdracing) more recently as well as Dave D (Double) years ago, an ultramarathon champion (who still posts to the ultra forum occasionally, I think).
    I gravitated to the 40/40 club to keep on running topics and I got a great deal of information and feedback for training and racing. The daily threads became way off topic altogether too often, too. So I've posted less and less. For others, I'd imagine the input from people on the NRR issues were the best part of the daily thread.

The bomers are truly a great group. But the things that I've learned as I was introduced to running are now being echoed by so many others who have learned these things too and they will keep the chain of learning/teaching going. I really like the other threads that have evolved like Running and X-Training/Weekly Newbie's and especially the Boomer Eating Healthy thread (despite the fact that I have never posted to any of these).

Times change...

-

that said, I'll leave this final comment:
    My 'issue' would be that we, as a people, really need to take better care of the world and each other. We do a really suboptimal job at both.

[http://This message has been edited by dtoce (edited Mar-25-2007).|http://This message has been edited by dtoce (edited Mar-25-2007).]

• Econo011 Legend 1,429 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    41. Mar 25, 2007 10:35 AM (in response to Tamalina)

and stop cutting old growth

• jura Legend 566 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    42. Mar 25, 2007 11:13 AM (in response to Tamalina)

Hi all,
    this turned out to be quite an interesting thread because it brought out the issue about non-running related topics. Of course it is natural that this issue will bring division among the group. Some people tend to enjoy the non-running related topics and find that a way to connect with others. Other people come here for the running topics and find it difficult to having to wade through so much other stuff.
    There is no good answer to where the right balance is. It is different with everybody. When I started posting here over a year ago, for example, people were posting once on the daily thread. I remember a second post used to be something a poster apologized for. Not that it's a good or bad thing, but for me it was easier to follow what was going on with everybody. Since then the daily thread became something like a glorified chat room. People post 3, 4, 5+ times and I for one got overwhelmed with that. I learned to skip some posts belonging to certain posters knowing it will contain only chit-chatty stuff rather then info about their running. I personally think some people are trying too hard, commenting on everything, wheather being knowledgable on it or not. Lately, for this reason I was infrequent on the daily thread. As Dale stated it, just have no time for the other stuff.
    I agree with the board being what the majority of the members want it to be, but there have to be some rules to adhere to to keep the running board for what it is. How'bout leaving the chatty stuff out of the daily thread and having a separate thread for that? Maybe a separate Daily Running Thread and Daily Chat Thread? That way people have a choice...
    Anyways, off the soap box and out to run... !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!
    j

• Tramps031 Legend 735 posts since
    Oct 31, 2006
    43. Dec 22, 2007 8:08 PM (in response to Tamalina)

quote:

Originally posted by jura:

How'bout leaving the chatty stuff out of the daily thread and having a separate thread for that? Maybe a separate Daily Running Thread and Daily Chat Thread? That way people have a choice...

Now I feel old. This discussion crops up periodically and, for a while, there was just such a division of threads--the regular daily run thread and what became known as the "Boomer Banter" thread. It didn't last long as most people missed the intermingling of the two.

This has been a good thread. It's a reminder that people come here for different reasons and we should try to accommodate folks via a variety of threads. I'm in the middle ground somewhere and pick and choose my reading. I rarely read the chatty threads, often lurk in the more "serious" running threads, get overwhelmed by the avalanche of racing threads which I just don't have time to read, and probably get too silly at times on other threads. (There are just so many bad influences here, it's hard to resist. My comrade, DH, is one of them.)

P.S. Larry, your postcards are hilarious and I've often copied and forwarded them to friends. Keep 'em coming.

[http://This message has been edited by Tramps (edited Mar-25-2007).|http://This message has been edited by Tramps (edited Mar-25-2007).]

• Legend 1,827 posts since
    Nov 9, 2007
    44. Mar 26, 2007 12:15 PM (in response to Tamalina)

Free Willie!    

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...