Skip navigation

2674 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 10, 2009 7:30 PM by Bhusn RSS
sjgauger Rookie 3 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 4, 2007 6:53 AM

Hand Paddles and pull bouys

Hi -

Anyone using hand paddles during training?  What is the best use for them, ie..tecnique, strength, endurance?

What about a pull bouy?  I use mine for most of my workout, it helps me simulate the added bouancy of my wetsuit and give a little bit better upper body workout.  Amy I hurting myself?

Thanks!

• helen82 Pro 171 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Apr 4, 2007 12:21 PM (in response to sjgauger)
    Re: Hand Paddles and pull bouys

I use the pull buoy, but I quit using hand paddles. I just got the feeling that too much equipment was ruining the fun of swimming. Maybe I was using the wrong kind or something. It was very hard to get used to swimming without them.

• Bhusn Rookie 6 posts since
    Mar 10, 2009
    2. Mar 10, 2009 7:30 PM (in response to sjgauger)
    Re: Hand Paddles and pull bouys

Good questions!  Just to establish my knowledge base, I coach a high school team, a summer league team, and a year round club team, and have been a swimmer myself for quite a while.

Paddles are great, but you need to decide what you want them for!  They can be used to focus on technique, edurance, and strength.  Sometimes more than one all at once.  Here's the general rule of thumb...only use paddles that you can maintain proper technique for.  Always lean on the smaller side.  Speedo paddles are pretty good, but if you want to get fancy, FINIS makes a great freestyle-only paddle, and the stroke maker paddles add a lot to the resistance side of life.

When training with them, decide what your focus is.  If you're focused on technique, then do sets that are slower, have some drills, and easier swimming so that you can pay attention to your hand entry, pull, body positioning, etc.  Endurance would be sets that are longer, but managable....be careful that if you feel any discomfort, you ease up, because you CAN injure yourself with paddles.  That said, they are great training aids.  If you want strength, swim faster sets with appropriate paddles, using send offs that you have to work to make.  Again, be mindful of your body.

Hope this helps!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...