Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

10102 Views 51 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2009 10:55 AM by k_runs RSS 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
Tamalina Legend 1,589 posts since
Aug 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 5, 2007 12:27 PM

your running mantra

When you are on long runs (or races for that matter) and it's getting tough - either you are physically getting tired or mentally exhausted - what do you say to yourself to keep yourself in the game, keep pushing yourself and finish strong? Do you have a phrase you repeat in your head for motivation; do you have some kind of an uplifting conversation with yourself? 

----

Tamalina[/URL" target="_blank">

• pmcneb Community Moderator 582 posts since
    Jan 10, 2006
    1. Apr 5, 2007 12:38 PM (in response to Tamalina)
    Re: your running mantra

I try to bore myself to death by counting to 16 over and over. On the treadmill I discovered in a moment of boredom that it takes me 16 steps to go .01 mile.

so in the big outdorrs, I count to 16 ten times, then repeat ten times. By then I am so confused I figure it has to have been a mile and start all over again.

----

Patty

• WillRunForBeer004 Legend 493 posts since
    Jan 8, 2006
    2. Apr 5, 2007 1:47 PM (in response to Tamalina)

I find myself saying periodically to myself, "it's just miles"

However, if I'm running at a particular pace and starting to get cocky, I try to tell myself, "don't count the miles before they're run" (to turn a phrase)

Lou

• Pie Jones Legend 229 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    3. Apr 5, 2007 2:05 PM (in response to Tamalina)

If I could only run fast enough to stay up with Aamos, we'd have plenty to talk about on those long runs  It's all about the food.

• LittleA Amateur 81 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Apr 5, 2007 2:23 PM (in response to Tamalina)

Patty,

That is the funniest answer I've ever heard.  I got confused just reading it    alison

• evanflein Legend 1,275 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    5. Apr 5, 2007 2:42 PM (in response to Tamalina)

on long runs I always say I'll just go one more mile, then give myself permission to stop. Or get to a certain landmark, then I'll call for a ride. Whatever. Usually by the time I get to that mile or landmark, I say it again ("you made it this far, what's one more mile..."). Seems to work. Haven't actually called for a ride since early last summer!

In races, I tell myself it's almost over, you can rest when you're done. Also, like Aamos, I think about food and what I'll eat later on...

----

My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• Tim Carmichael Pro 148 posts since
    Oct 5, 2007
    6. Apr 5, 2007 2:57 PM (in response to Tamalina)

"Another 100 yards".  It's just another football field.  If that doesn't work, I verbally abuse myself by questioning my sexual orientation... 

(Sound of Dana Carvey doing "Hans and Franz")  "Don't be a gurly man!".  TC

• dtoce Legend 383 posts since
    Nov 10, 2003
    7. Apr 5, 2007 3:03 PM (in response to Tamalina)

quote:

Originally posted by TammyM:

When you are on long runs (or races for that matter) and it's getting tough - either you are physically getting tired or mentally exhausted - what do you say to yourself to keep yourself in the game, keep pushing yourself and finish strong? Do you have a phrase you repeat in your head for motivation; do you have some kind of an uplifting conversation with yourself?

a very interesting question, Tamster...

It certainly depends on the type of run. I like LR's where the pace is easy and I solve many problems that are ongoing within myself...I like tempo runs when I'm just pushing along the pace on autopilot.

But

I really like when I hit a difficult part of a run or race and realize that I'm dogging it, 'cuz I know it's just mental and all I need to do is focus, dig down and push myself. I find myself remembering the hard training times if it occurs during a race and tell myself 'you can do it, you've been here before...pick it up...'. During training, I find it's a bit harder to do it but I do my best.

The conversations that go on in my head (with myself) are endless. I suppose that could be considered trouble... !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

During the latter parts of several of my marathons, I've used a mantra like 'push the pace' or 'keep the cadence' and counting to maintain 180 steps/minute. But it's all about disassociation at that point.

Nice question.

• SLOjim Pro 365 posts since
    Nov 17, 2007
    8. Apr 5, 2007 3:06 PM (in response to Tamalina)

For the past year and a half I've used Munchkn as an inspiration to push myself beyond what I thought were my limits in races.  Just thinking about her struggles with her fight with cancer helps me run through the pain in the final stretches of my races. Thank you Donna 

• bigapplepie Legend 2,454 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    10. Dec 22, 2007 9:17 PM (in response to Tamalina)

The only mantra that works for me is "hills are my friend they make me stronger'

I even used it to get me through a few miles in Chicago, where its dead flat!

It has the added advantage that I can recite the ten syllables exactly 18 times per minute which helps keep my strike rate at 180.

Then there are the positive thoughts:
    "You paid for this pain"
    "Running has changed your life"
    "How great does this feel?"
    "Think how great you're going to feel when you look back on this"

and visualizations like:
    "I'm a gazelle"
    "I'm floating on air"

[http://This message has been edited by bigapplepie (edited Apr-05-2007).|http://This message has been edited by bigapplepie (edited Apr-05-2007).]

• Twocat Legend 404 posts since
    Oct 12, 2006
    11. Apr 5, 2007 3:24 PM (in response to Tamalina)

Boy am I dull.  During a race, assuming my mind is still capable of forming words, I just repeat, "go, go, go."  

• Holly S. Legend 1,828 posts since
    Nov 26, 2007
    12. Apr 5, 2007 3:27 PM (in response to Tamalina)

Tammy,

Is it a big race? Maybe you'll get lucky and have a nice-looking fella in front of you to focus on when the race gets tough.

Love that "pace booty" !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

----

Holly[/URL" target="_blank">

• mcsolar99 Legend 1,014 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    13. Apr 5, 2007 3:31 PM (in response to Tamalina)

i usually focus on solving second order non-homogenous differential equations in my head.  if i can stumble onto a confluent hypergeometric function for a solution it means i'm having a good workout.  keeps me from thinking of running.

or when that doesn't help: in a workout when it gets hard i say to myself "i woke up at 4am just so that i could get to this tough point and find a way to run well."

in a race: "calm and relaxed"

• bihvhar Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 5, 2007
    14. Apr 5, 2007 3:32 PM (in response to Tamalina)
1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...