Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

10654 Views 51 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2009 10:55 AM by k_runs RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • Dark Horse Legend 1,684 posts since
    Oct 9, 2005
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Apr 5, 2007 3:37 PM (in response to Tamalina)
    Re: your running mantra

quote:

Originally posted by AA717driver:
    [BI verbally abuse myself by questioning my sexual orientation...[/B]

Hmm, self-abuse while running. Keep it up and you'll go blind, you know.

I run on a treadmill in a public gym, so self-abuse is not an option. One of the things I do to while away the time during a long boring run is fantasize about what a great runner I am. I imagine passing people and winning races. This topic never grows old.

Dark Horse

----

I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course

• lynnruns Rookie 31 posts since
    Mar 18, 2006
    16. Apr 5, 2007 3:44 PM (in response to Tamalina)

I might be over simplifying- but if I am staring at abig hill I am about to try and run over I repeat " up and over, up and over" in my head.
    If I feel that I really want to quit, ie I ma starting to cramp or just want to stop I repeat " not today, not today" in my head. Those have worked pretty well for me! good luck!

• vista129 Legend 800 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    17. Apr 5, 2007 3:51 PM (in response to Tamalina)

I sometimes find myself subconsciously "breathing" a song that matches the pace I am running,   Anyone else do that?
    It seems that certain songs that are in my head just have a good strong "one-two" beat that matches my "left-right" steps. I either "breathe" them slower or faster to match the pace I need.

I also sometimes count my steps knowing what it takes to go a tenth of a mile. This sometimes helps when I am at a point of just needing to get in another half mile or so, to match a goal.

Finally, I also sometimes use visual short goals and focus just on that. Maybe it is a street sign, maybe tree that stands out in the distance, or maybe it is a "human carrot" (i.e. someone running ahead of me that I want to "catch" up to that allows me to focus on them).

Good question and some good answers.

----

vista129[/URL" target="_blank">

• jura Legend 566 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    18. Apr 5, 2007 4:11 PM (in response to Tamalina)

I used the word "main-tain" on a race once. Maintain pace, that is. On long runs I don't use words or phrases, just visualize or imagine myself being weightless, flying down the road without effort. Sometimes on long runs I imagine me being in a race, and my endpoint being the finish line. It helps me finish strong.
    j

• FlyingFinn080 Legend 613 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    19. Apr 5, 2007 4:23 PM (in response to Tamalina)

quote:

Originally posted by mcsolar99:

i usually focus on solving second order non-homogenous differential equations in my head. if i can stumble onto a confluent hypergeometric function for a solution it means i'm having a good workout.

swoon

• bigapplepie Legend 2,455 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    20. Apr 5, 2007 4:28 PM (in response to Tamalina)

quote:

Originally posted by mcsolar99:

i usually focus on solving second order non-homogenous differential equations in my head. if i can stumble onto a confluent hypergeometric function for a solution it means i'm having a good workout.

If I can spell hypergeometric its a good workout.

• tomwhite Legend 2,011 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    21. Apr 5, 2007 4:29 PM (in response to Tamalina)

.......for some reason ''Ala-Gator''............dunno, been using it since the 70's.......

........maybe THAT explains it........

• tomwhite Legend 2,011 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    22. Apr 5, 2007 4:31 PM (in response to Tamalina)

........may also explain my Blinding Speed...........

..................NOT..........

• HMhopeful Rookie 40 posts since
    Dec 11, 2007
    23. Apr 5, 2007 4:37 PM (in response to Tamalina)

I count 50 steps of one leg, imagining it getting stronger, and its the turn for the other leg to get just as strong.  If facing a big hill, I try to think of my reward for getting over it - coast for a while.

• augie09 Rookie 70 posts since
    Mar 22, 2007
    24. Apr 5, 2007 4:52 PM (in response to Tamalina)

quote:

Originally posted by evanflein:

on long runs I always say I'll just go one more mile, then give myself permission to stop. Or get to a certain landmark, then I'll call for a ride. Whatever. Usually by the time I get to that mile or landmark, I say it again ("you made it this far, what's one more mile..."). Seems to work. Haven't actually called for a ride since early last summer!

In races, I tell myself it's almost over, you can rest when you're done. Also, like Aamos, I think about food and what I'll eat later on...

exactly what i do, set small goals while running, then once i get there, i realize i still got some left and set another goal, but i can only do this during the second 1/2 of a run, if i start out to soon i am done for.

• Tim Carmichael Pro 148 posts since
    Oct 5, 2007
    25. Apr 5, 2007 5:26 PM (in response to Tamalina)

quote:

Originally posted by Dark Horse:

Hmm, self-abuse while running. Keep it up and you'll go blind, you know.

Dark Horse

I specifically described the abuse as "verbal" to avoid that 'touchy' subject from arising.  TC

• Dark Horse Legend 1,684 posts since
    Oct 9, 2005
    26. Apr 5, 2007 5:37 PM (in response to Tamalina)

quote:

Originally posted by AA717driver:

I specifically described the abuse as "verbal" to avoid that 'touchy' subject from arising.   TC

Too late: I touched it, and it arose.

This reminds me, the U.S. Cavalry military gear website is offering a new t-shirt, apparently in my honor:

Proud Like an Eagle, Hung Like A Horse[/URL" target="_blank">

"Perfect for big studs! You’re sure to attract the ladies with this one, so if you talk the talk, then you’d better, well you get the picture... Impress girls, make your friends laugh and get a lecture from your mom all with one shirt!"

Dark Horse

----

I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course

• Barefoot Rick Legend 325 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    27. Apr 5, 2007 5:47 PM (in response to Tamalina)

For me, of course it has to be ....

Inch by inch, it's a cinch, Mile by Mile it's a trial!!

BR

----

"Do something remarkable, every day. In time, your life will become remarkable!" - Barefoot Rick @ www.barefootrunner.org[/URL" target="_blank">

• charleygross Pro 160 posts since
    Jul 5, 2000
    28. Apr 5, 2007 7:04 PM (in response to Tamalina)

My mantra since starting to run has and always will be   " Make it before you take it".  As in the distance.  I use this mostly on my long runs.  I find myself, at times, feeling as though I could run faster earlier in a run but realize that there are still many miles to go and I remind myself of this fact with this mantra.

Good thread, thanks alot.

Chris

----

My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• JJJessee Legend 774 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    29. Apr 5, 2007 7:09 PM (in response to Tamalina)

relax

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...