Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

10064 Views 51 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2009 10:55 AM by k_runs RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • Sans Souci027 Legend 1,203 posts since
    Sep 9, 2005
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Apr 5, 2007 7:11 PM (in response to Tamalina)
    Re: your running mantra

Wow, deep thoughts.  I can't imagine counting steps.

Tammy, when the going gets tough, I often think to myself, "Did I unplug the iron?" even though I haven't touched the appliance for years.  In psychology, I believe it's called dissociation.

Unfortunately, I've just found out that a habitual tendency to dissociate may promote psychopathology.

• tallrunner Legend 573 posts since
    Aug 16, 2007
    31. Apr 5, 2007 7:12 PM (in response to Tamalina)

PBJ is only one minute ahead of me...All winter it 's been my singular focus, thru the pain of the LR's, the intervals and the tempo runs...

Hopefully you get lots of advice, since once I catch PBJ in Boston I will be in the same boat as you trying to figure out how to tough it out.

Seriously though...for me, I tend to chastise myself and remember the miles that got me here. Since I am not the fastest, nor the most atheletically gifted, I tend to want to think I am the toughest...so i try not to give in an inch. Not the best approach, since I sometimes push too hard, but I tell myself it's all i've got. It's all about 'NO REGRETS" for me.

GANBARE or is it CRANBARE and the TURKEYNATOR

Tall

• FlyingFinn080 Legend 613 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    32. Apr 5, 2007 7:58 PM (in response to Tamalina)

quote:

Originally posted by Sans Souci:

I believe it's called dissociation.

I look at legs

• mariposai Legend 821 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    33. Apr 5, 2007 7:58 PM (in response to Tamalina)

Since I always wanted to be pilot I just simply divide the miles in different flying stages-preparation for take-off. take-off, cruising, preparation for landing and landing.  I try to not have any casualties during each one of the stages.  So a marathon may go like this:
    -3 miles- preparation to fly (shoes tied, gu in place, hip in place, hip relaxed, neck in alighment, etc)
    -up to 10 miles- take- off, just beggining to take altitud.
    -up to 20 miles-cruising (enjoy the ride)
    20 to 24 preparation for landing-aka just gut it out
    24-26.2 landing and remember the smile at the crossing line.

Interesting posting.

• winejunky Pro 133 posts since
    Sep 2, 2005
    34. Apr 5, 2007 9:22 PM (in response to Tamalina)

It doesn't matter when or where, always around mile 22 or so Bob Dylan appears in my head, yes strange indeed.  It's always the same song right up until the finish line !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/frown.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/frown.gif|border=0!then my dog sammy appears?)

A worried man with a worried mind
    No one in front of me and nothing behind
    There's a woman on my lap and she's drinking champagne(the canadian)
    Got white skin, got assassin's eyes
    I'm looking up into the sapphire tinted skies
    I'm well dressed, waiting on the last train

Standing on the gallows with my head in a noose
    Any minute now I'm expecting all hell to break loose

Chorus
    People are crazy and times are strange
    I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range
    I used to care, but things have changed

Thanks God I'm not a Britney Spears fan.
    wj

• janie b good070 Pro 61 posts since
    Oct 7, 2005
    35. Dec 22, 2007 9:17 PM (in response to Tamalina)

While I don't use a special phrase or mantra, I most certainly tap into thoughts/feelings for motivation<br /><br />Usually, the cancer patients that I've worked with give me all the motivation I need (some can't run 'cause they've lost a leg to cancer, some can't run 'cause they're too week from their treatments, some can't run 'cause they're "trapped" in the hospital for tests).  Sometimes, when I'm feeling like I can't go on, I tell myself to quit being such a big baby... and I'll think of a certain patient and finish the run for them.<br /><br />I also like to channel loved ones that have passed on.  I imagine that they are angels in heaven, and when I call on one of them, they lend me their angel wings.  This may seem weird to some, but it's one of my greatest motivators especially when I'm feeling tired and out of gas...

Lastly, if I'm not exactly tapped out, but in need of something to get my legs moving a little faster, I'll tap into my anger-- for some reason, I run really well when I'm feeling p!ssed off...

[http://This message has been edited by janie b good (edited Apr-05-2007).|http://This message has been edited by janie b good (edited Apr-05-2007).]

• Canfit Legend 1,055 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    37. Apr 5, 2007 10:57 PM (in response to Tamalina)

Like Dark Horse, I fantasize about winning marathons, Olympics, hockey & lacrosse championships ...all of those things I'll never do any more.   When that fails, I simply pray I'll get to the end!
    PJ

• Elaine3112 Legend 395 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    38. Apr 6, 2007 3:27 AM (in response to Tamalina)

Not only do I imagine I'm winning the race but I'm famous as well so everyone is cheering and taking photo's of me!  Perhaps Sunday's race organiser already knows this as I have been given bib number 1 for Sunday's HM 

• flkjr52096 Legend 243 posts since
    Nov 14, 2006
    39. Apr 6, 2007 6:05 AM (in response to Tamalina)

For me, I just consider that " stopping is not an option".
    If I'm feeling a little weak minded to continue, like others, I use the thought that I still can do this while others I know less fortunate cannot, so I do it for them! Works every time.

Fran

• perchcreek Legend 821 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    40. Apr 7, 2007 5:14 PM (in response to Tamalina)

For me on 20 milers at about the 17 or 18 mile point I'll say "come on 20, bring it on, no wall, no wall".

• jebsmythe Legend 702 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    41. Apr 7, 2007 8:47 PM (in response to Tamalina)

I let out a primal scream, sometimes using an obscenity (usually the one that begins with 'f').  Seriously.  I think it causes a release of adrenaline that helps to keep me going.

I also will verbally demean myself. I'll call myself a wimp, or sissy, or some other non-politically correct name.

Sometimes I'm nicer and just remind myself that the pain is temporary and will be over soon, so stop being a wuss!

• tomwhite Legend 2,011 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    42. Apr 7, 2007 8:52 PM (in response to Tamalina)

........lab//.........I just got a mental picture of myself running thru my neighborhood screaming the Word you suggested......

........................then I got a mental picture of myself being slapped into a Squad Car......

• winejunky Pro 133 posts since
    Sep 2, 2005
    43. Apr 7, 2007 9:52 PM (in response to Tamalina)

stay away from the Squad cars,  nothing positive ever happens.

• Johnnystella7 Pro 114 posts since
    Jul 4, 2006
    44. Apr 8, 2007 3:52 PM (in response to Tamalina)

On short runs I say "Form, form, form."  On long runs I say "Soon."  When I start my long runs, about a mile or two into them, I say, "Dude, just relax because you're not going anywhere anytime soon."

----

I worked at a fire hydrant
    factory. You couldn't park
    anywhere near that place.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...