Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

17651 Views 39 Replies Latest reply: Apr 12, 2012 11:22 AM by bonz04 1 2 3 Previous Next
MurphyMel Rookie 2 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 21, 2005 9:29 AM

Foot Cramps in Pool

Does anyone else ever have horrible foot cramps while swimming.  I try to stretch before and after, but it never fails, I always have horrible pain in one foot.  Has anyone else experienced this?

Foot Cramps in Pool

• cwkone Amateur 10 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Oct 8, 2004 7:16 PM (in response to MurphyMel)
    Re: Foot Craps in Pool

I too get the craps in the pool!!!!  Eventhough I do, I'm just messin with ya!  I get craMps too! One time I had to get rescued by the life guard in my Masters swim in AZ.  How embarrassing!! I've found that if I keep a bottle of half gatorade/half water on the wall it doesn't happen as much. I also stay away from caffeine at least 3 hours before the workout so as not to dehydrate myself further!  Good luck!!!

• ntl2005 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Oct 12, 2004 8:46 AM (in response to MurphyMel)

Never a dull day in the world of athletes.

• sorenx Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Oct 13, 2004 8:49 AM (in response to MurphyMel)

I get that too.  I always thought it was arthritis or something.  If it is a muscle cramp, try eating more bananas.  The potassium helps prevent cramps.

• swimmerbabe Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    5. Nov 6, 2004 11:13 AM (in response to MurphyMel)

I ussed to get horrible footcramps from ballet as well as swimming. I was advised to eat more bananas b/c the potassium in them helps to reduce muscle cramps. Muscle contraction also relies on the release of calcium and thus not having enough calcium in your diet can also be the culprit of painful cramps. I started eating a banana with my cereal in the morning and my muscle cramps have been reduced significantly.

• jtaylor1024 Amateur 31 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    6. Nov 11, 2004 8:15 AM (in response to MurphyMel)

I have the same problem and Yoga really helped me.

• hgschoger Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    7. Dec 8, 2004 5:07 PM (in response to MurphyMel)

I get foot cramps almost exclusively in the pool. Very infrequently I'll get one during sleep.  They seemed to be prompted by the back stroke more than any other. My potassium levels are already very high.

Someone has told me that tonic water will relieve them. Anybody vouch for that?

• kaeote Amateur 16 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    8. Dec 9, 2004 6:09 AM (in response to MurphyMel)

tonic water is a source of Quinine and that is prescribed for a condition known as 'intermitent claudication' which is usually cramping in the leg after walking a short distance.  whether quinine will help your foot cramps is questionable but it probably wouldn't hurt.

Potasium is one electrolyte that could be necessary but a more important electrolyte for muscles is magnesium and most people are deficient in same.

I experienced some cramping when I first began to swim for conditioning especially after I made turns and pushed off.  this stoped without any specific supplementation on my part as I conditioned but I think dehydration is my main issue.

• oagwood Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    9. Apr 17, 2005 9:53 PM (in response to MurphyMel)
    Re: Foot Cramps in Pool

i have given up swimming because of the foot cramps that i was getting.  i swam competitively for 7 years, took a break for about 10 years and when i tried to get back in the water the cramps started, both feet first and then the calves (HORRIBLE PAIN).  i have tried potassium and magnessium supplements, giving up caffeine, drinking more fluids, stretching, and sleeping with a bar of soap (not sure why but it was suggested).  my point being that nothing worked and the cramps seemed to get worse. 

i would entertain other suggestions.  i hang out in the gym now and miss the water.

oliver

• swim_chickie Amateur 14 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    10. Apr 18, 2005 2:05 PM (in response to MurphyMel)

u get foot cramps mostly during the strokes that u arch your foot in the most. something about keeping that muscle like that for periods of time. when i get them in the pool i have to just flex my arch and work it out. i don't think there is one specific cure or anything like that. it just depends on your body. 2 things that helped me were first strengthening the muscles in my feet and second i walways drink gatorade during practices and water before. for some reason water doesn't help when i'm swimming but gatorade does. i hope i was of some help to you

Jul 9, 2007
    11. Apr 19, 2005 10:22 AM (in response to MurphyMel)

thanks chickie,

what is an example of a foot strengthening exercise?

oliver

• swim_chickie Amateur 14 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    12. Apr 19, 2005 3:13 PM (in response to MurphyMel)

thre hard to decribe but i can try, u can jump rope and do stairs to help your arches. those are the only 2 i can really say and have it still make since

• laaraine Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    13. May 4, 2005 12:58 PM (in response to MurphyMel)

I've started training for a rowing tour and have upped my work-out time. (rowers and swimmers have a lot in common).  Since then, I've increased bananas, am not dehydrated, and get horrible foot cramps.  I stretch and eat enough calcium.  I've read all the recommendations posted thus far.  Any others??

Jul 9, 2007
    14. May 13, 2005 11:48 AM (in response to MurphyMel)

laaraine,

i share your pain.  i am always on the prowl for something new that will help out, so if i find it i'll let you know.

oliver

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...