Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

4077 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 10, 2009 7:15 PM by Bhusn
ps6123 Rookie 1 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 2, 2006 6:13 PM

why wear two swimsuits at once?

I was curious why girls wear two compeition swimsuits at once. Would anyone know the answer to this?

Thanks.

• kitchmom Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Jul 3, 2006 12:09 PM (in response to ps6123)
    Re: why wear two swimsuits at once?

Wearing two suits causes more drag in the water, thereby making you feel lighter when it is time to race.  We always called them drag suits - mostly older stretched out suits that fit loose, making more resistance.

• CatzTurn Rookie 6 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Nov 6, 2006 11:08 AM (in response to ps6123)

I just found out first hand from a lady at my pool. Before I took my shower to get in the pool, she asked me if I noticed that my backside was totally see-through. I looked in the mirror with horror to see every nook and cranny through the old material. Since the front of the suit was still snug, I never noticed the backside. She mentioned that Latex suits wear out quickly in chlorine water. She was wearing two suits, both stressed out.

I chose to throw mine out and get a new one. If you are training, the two suit affect really drags and hangs off your body.

• Bhusn Rookie 6 posts since
    Mar 10, 2009
    3. Mar 10, 2009 7:15 PM (in response to ps6123)

Coach and longtime swimmer here: both girls and boys tend to wear two suits at the competitive level.  As one person hinted, one suit can appear a bit immodest at times.  Latex suits do wear out quickly due to chlorine.  Most guys, after they become comfortable or to penny-pinching, will start to wear a speedo and dragsuit (square leg oversuit made of a heavier material that doesn't thin).  Girls don't really have that option so they wear two.  It keeps everything very private, and does add a bit of resistance to make practice a little more challenging.  Just think...when you swim 7.5k  yards in a TOUGH practice with TWO suits on (one that's meant to drag), think of how much faster you'll be with ONE that is tight !!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...