Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3736 Views 23 Replies Latest reply: Oct 5, 2010 7:38 PM by actmanman RSS 1 2 Previous Next
dselby3 Pro 117 posts since
Oct 31, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

May 7, 2007 5:41 PM

Lincoln Marathon Race Report

It was a dark and stormy night, preceding the Lincoln Marathon.  Only snatches of sleep were had, in between the flashes of lightning, rolling thunder and battering of the raindrops on the roof. 

Drove to Lincoln from Omaha race day morning, as flashes of lightning continued to dance across the sky, accompanied by rainfall. Big honking drops. The Lincoln Marathon is my favorite, because it is were I ran my first marathon, back in 1998. This was my 10th Lincoln Marathon in a row.

By the 7:00 a.m. start, the weather had bettered, with only a light rain and no lightning. The streets were slick and there were many puddles. The cannon boomed and we were off. My plan was to run conservatively for the first bit, see how it goes, and assess at mile 10. First mile 8:09, second mile 8:21 - so much for conservative - third mile 9:45 - oops- too conservative. Then 8:19, 8:18 - hitting a nice pace. Then 8:03, 8:09, 8:03, 8:15, 8:05 - perhaps feeling too good, as I reached mile 10 in 1:23 and change. Mile 11 - 8:38, then 8:21, 8:27 and the halfway point in 1:49:38. I'm thinking a nice 3:45 is in order. However, at this point, we are headed into the wind, for the next 7 miles or so. Mile 14 8:35 okay, mile 15 8:56 - boy that wind is strong, Mile 16 9:13. I have not 'hit the wall' per se, but I just can't seem to run faster. 9:25, 9:30, 9:36, 9:37 - mile 20 passes at 2:53:53 - Now I am thinking get back to the finish. I have run the whole race to this point, and thankfully, now the wind is at the back. Alas, only a sail would have helped! 9:27, 9:37, 9:43, 9:43, 9:48 last mile 9:42 and last .2 in 2:35 (an 8:40 pace - so I did have something left!) The last 10 k was right at an hour.

Overall time was 3:54:34, which in hindsight was acceptable. Always want to do better, but I did the best I could for that race. Had a nice time with my fellow TNT runners. Ran with several of them over the course of the event.

The last 3 or 4 miles there was this lady runner, obviously struggling, as she would run, then cramp, stop and stretch and I would pass her. Then she would pass me, get ahead, and cramp up again and have to stop. She kept going though, and was ahead of me going into the last .2, but she cramped up again. As I passed her, I said to her, "you can finish, even if you have to crawl" She replied, she would. In the finish chute I turned and she was right behind me. I told her that she had inspired me with her courage to finish.

Marathon 23 now in the bag. Next marathon San Diego on June 3.

dave

• tselbs Legend 1,208 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. May 7, 2007 6:32 PM (in response to dselby3)
    Re: Lincoln Marathon Race Report

Nice job, Dave.  Congratulations on another good one.

Tom

----

My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• pmcneb Community Moderator 582 posts since
    Jan 10, 2006
    2. May 7, 2007 6:35 PM (in response to dselby3)

Man, with all the rain we had over the weekend, I would think you would have needed a kayak to finish.

Great job. I may look at LIncoln next year. Is it run in Pioneer park?

----

Patty

• mariposai Legend 821 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. May 7, 2007 6:40 PM (in response to dselby3)

23 marathons stars on your crown. WTG.  I really enjoyed reading your RR. Specially when you coment about the lady runner struggling with cramps.  That could have been me two weeks ago at the Eugene marathon, even dough my cross was the IT band.  I bit you you did make her day and inspired her to finish.

----

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." Prefontaine

• choover Legend 1,120 posts since
    Oct 7, 2007
    4. May 7, 2007 9:09 PM (in response to dselby3)

Hi Dave,
    I didn't realize you have done so many marathons. I can't imagine what goes through someone's mind as they are driving through weather like that to get to a race. We just don't get those kinds of storms in Montana. I'm glad the weather improved for you by race time. Regarding hitting the wall, do you think it was a nutrition thing or did the wind just take too much out of you?

cheryl

• JJJessee Legend 774 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    5. May 7, 2007 9:19 PM (in response to dselby3)

Nice running Dave.
    23? Wow, you're closing in on a marathon of marathons. The wind doesn't just take it out of the miles you're running into it, but the ones after it too. Way to hang in there and post a solid time.
    JJJ

• Sans Souci027 Legend 1,203 posts since
    Sep 9, 2005
    6. May 7, 2007 9:28 PM (in response to dselby3)

Oooh, Dave, those fast starts can be killer, but with your experience, obviously heading into the wind was the big factor in the second half.  Congratulations on completing No. 23.

I particularly like your description of "big honking drops." Glad to hear the rain and lightning took their leave before the start.

Good luck in San Diego!

• Legend 532 posts since
    Jul 15, 2006
    7. May 7, 2007 9:31 PM (in response to dselby3)

23 marathons and 23 different experiences, I'll bet.  Nice job bringing it in under 4 hours with that wind.  I had 4 friends running Lincoln--all finished under 4 hours and a couple BQed.  Recover well.

• Hobie1070 Rookie 28 posts since
    Mar 26, 2006
    8. Dec 22, 2007 11:38 PM (in response to dselby3)

Great job on a nasty morning.  I ran the half only because the quarter wasn't an option.  Suffice it to say my "training" was somewhat lax.
    I give you credit for finishing because the weather was a b@tch. I woke up at 2 a.m. when the 58th thunderstorm of the weekend rolled through and never did get back to sleep. It just poured buckets until around 5:45 and then we had something of a break, if you call 68 degrees with a dewpoint at 67 degrees and a 25 mph wind gusting to 35 from the sse a break.
    I had a hard time finishing strong and was awfully glad to see Memorial Stadium coming up (No pmcneb, the marathon is not run at Pioneers Park otherwise we would have all croaked going up caretaker's hill into the wind.) I have run 2 Lincoln Marathons and was extremely happy not to be running out to Holmes Lake into that nasty wind.
    Given the conditions 3:54 definitely earned you the right to a nap and a big steak. Good job.

-Tom

[http://This message has been edited by Hobie1 (edited May-07-2007).|http://This message has been edited by Hobie1 (edited May-07-2007).]

• rasmussenmp Pro 194 posts since
    Nov 3, 2007
    9. May 7, 2007 10:03 PM (in response to dselby3)

Greta job on Lincoln #10, Not sure if i would have left home with the lightning and rain happening.  Under the covers seems like a much better place to be.  But, the nasty weather only serves to make the accomplishment that much better. 

----

Good running!!!
    Mike's Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• Barefoot Rick Legend 325 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    10. May 8, 2007 7:45 AM (in response to dselby3)

Wow! Ten in a row! Lincoln is one of my favorites also. Glad you didn't get swept away by the monsoon. Congrats on a sub-4 and have fun in San Diego, Dave.

Rick

----

Barefoot Running ... So easy, a caveman could do it!" - Barefoot Rick @ www.barefootrunner.org[/URL" target="_blank">

• mbelongia Legend 211 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    11. May 8, 2007 8:21 AM (in response to dselby3)

Dave,  what a great job, finishing in those conditions.  (I think even making it to the start in those conditions is something to be proud of!  The amount of rain that fell over the weekend was really cr@ppy).

I had no idea you'd run so many marathons. Nice job on this one.

Marie

• tomwhite Legend 2,011 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    12. May 8, 2007 8:44 AM (in response to dselby3)

.........well run race under less than ideal conditions//...........nice running........

• Holly S. Legend 1,828 posts since
    Nov 26, 2007
    13. May 8, 2007 12:24 PM (in response to dselby3)

Dave – 23 marathons – whew!  Great job, in spite of the rain.  Good luck on June 3.

----

Holly[/URL" target="_blank">

• mainerunnah Legend 897 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    14. May 8, 2007 12:31 PM (in response to dselby3)

Dave: congratulations on finishing your 23rd marathon under less than optimal conditions.  NIce of you to be so supportive of that female runner who kept cramping up.  Don't we all know how much that type of support can help us as we struggle to finish strong sometimes.

Congrats again and keep it up, 25 is right around the corner!

----

My User Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

"Keep on Running"
    Bob

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...