Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4247 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 26, 2004 3:05 PM by LindaVitus
my_age_10k Rookie 2 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 9, 2004 7:52 PM

10k time = or below your age in minutes

I recently ran a 10k = to my age in minutes.  I turned 40 this year and with a lot of training, I finished two 10Ks at 40 minutes (40.07 and a 40.16) (although, I wanted to be 39 again, I am happy to have gotten this far to finish in 40 minutes).

I heard some say that running your age in a 10k is the equivalent of golfing your age for those older people. 

To me this sounds like a great goal to have!  I hope to continue running 10ks at or below my age in minutes.

Does anyone else have running your age in a 10k as a goal?

• John5k Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Dec 13, 2004 6:32 PM (in response to my_age_10k)
    Re: 10k time = or below your age in minutes

I didn't start running till the day after I turned 40 and didn't run my first 10k till 5 years later. After the 2nd year of racing, I was consistantly breaking my age.  It was like bowling a 300 game. Unfortunately, I have not been able to shoot my age in golf.  My goal now is to run a marathon when I'm 90, and let any other's in my age group go ahead of me as I will want to let them win their age group, as I will want to tell them, I'm coming back next year again, and I don't think you other guys will make it (Ha)  This was a true story at the NYC Marathon several years ago when ABC was still televising it nationally, and they interviewed 3 men all over age 90, and wanted to know who was going to win their age group.

• davidscofield1 Amateur 11 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Dec 17, 2004 11:03 AM (in response to my_age_10k)

Cool, I didn't even know about this running a 10k in your age thing, but I got to checking my last 10k when I was 48 1/2 and sure enough my time was 48:36. I suspect it does get easier with age as long as you stay in shape, I think I could do at least that good now, a year later. I've cut my mileage a little, but that would be a good guage on how I'm doing, if I can do a 10K under my age I'm doing good.

• LindaVitus Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Dec 26, 2004 3:05 PM (in response to my_age_10k)

Help!  Is there a separate "index" for women?  I'm 44, and definitely cannot run a 44 mile 10K.  My club had a very hilly (and very cold) race this morning, and although I haven't seen my official results yet, my guess is that I was somewhere just shy of 49 minutes.

OK...so if it had been flat, I might have been closer to 47 or 48.  I must say that, up until now, I've been happy with my results...but now you have me questioning my performance!  Please tell me that this forumla includes some sort of adjustment for women runners! 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...