Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

962 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 20, 2007 11:07 PM by jeff19
jeff19 Pro 210 posts since
May 9, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 20, 2007 4:35 AM

sore knees

my dad's knees hurt regularly (he's fifty) and it's part of the reason he doesn't like to run too far. But he did something the other day I couldn't figure out. He's a pilot, and for some reason or another was in a hurry, so he had to jump out of a (parked) airplane and run over to another one. The drop was 8 feet! He said it hurt a bit when he hit, but he was fine and kept running. How can he not run 3 miles without hurting, but goes bailing out of planes? I thought I'd ask to see if anyone else if like that.

Here's to old man strength, may I have it when I age.

PS: I'm 17 and MY feet and knees hurt when I fall from that high.

• ptbrown Legend 422 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    1. Jun 20, 2007 6:37 AM (in response to jeff19)
    Re: sore knees

Well, he does FLY for a living, so it would make sense that he could manage a soft landing.

Seriously, it may be that his pain is from repetitive motion rather than shock. As we get older, sometimes the "padding" between joints gets worn out and the joint hurts because of friction between the bones.

So running 3 miles would cause pain because of thousands of tiny grinding motions from striding.  Jumping down 8 feet wouldn't, particularly if he cushioned his landing by crouching.

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    2. Jun 20, 2007 3:44 PM (in response to jeff19)
    Re: sore knees

jeff19 - way to look out for the "dad".   There are a myriad of reasons for knee pain.  ptbrown gave a good reason.   You didn't say how much experience or how often your dad runs or tries to run.   Problems could include wore out shoes, wrong shoes, an imbalance in leg muscle strength (corrected by specific exercise), poor stretching before and after a run, and etc.   More info could narrow it down but if he's serious he should see a sports doc and let him get a eyeball on him.

ksrunr
    good luck

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...