Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5101 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Jan 17, 2008 6:29 AM by dg12 RSS
cnaseer Rookie 2 posts since
Jul 12, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 12, 2007 7:16 AM

Running on a treadmill...

Hi Everyone-

I have a question for some experienced runners.  I started running outside about 6 months ago (could barely run for two minutes), and after a few months, could run approximately 3.5-4 miles, 4 times a week.  I stopped running outside approximately one month ago due to the heat and humidity (it was extremely difficult).  I decided that I really want to keep up my workout and not lose my endurance; however, I am not familiar with treadmill running.  A few days ago, I tried using the treadmill and ended up running (at what I thought was the pace I run outside approximately 11:30 min/mile).  In the end, though, after 30 minutes I only went 2.05 miles on a 1 incline.  Could someone please guide me and let me know what settings I should use on a treadmill to keep my workout up?  If I increase the speed, it seems a little too quick for me.  I am not sure what the average runner uses on the treadmill. 

Thanks,

Carolyn

• rlgallico Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 12, 2007
    1. Jul 12, 2007 10:34 AM (in response to cnaseer)
    Re: Running on a treadmill...

what kind of treadmill is it? i use lifefitness at my gym. it's pretty common. In any event, I run on the treadmill and outside. I like to run 3-5 miles at a time. On the treadmill, I usually warm-up for five minutes at 5.5 mph (which I think is 11 min/mile) at 1.0 incline (they say a 1.0-2.0 incline mimics running outside.) Then I up the speed by .1 every minute until I'm at 6.0 mph (10 min mile.) then I typically increase from there to an average of 6.2 or 6.3 mph (which I think is a 9:30 - 9:20 min mile.) I think that's about what I run when I'm outside. The biggest difference between running outside and on the treadmill, in my opinion (and I've heard this elsewhere), is that the constantly moving belt makes it easier to run. You're not really propelling yourself, the belt is doing that for you, which is also why the incline is important. Of course, it also means you have to keep up with the pace.

IT may just take time to figure out what your pace is on the machine. The key, I think, is to warm up....

Also, if you haven't run for a month, it's likely that your cardio endurance has decreased a bit.  So don't be discouraged if you can do what you were doing then.  It'll come back after a couple weeks, I think.  Just try not to increase your weekly workout total by more than 10% each week.  So if you can do 12 miles this week, don't increase next week by more than 1.2 miles total.  so don't do more than 13.2 miles total next week.  Of course, if you feel that you can do more than a 10% increase, go for it.  But that's standard training suggestion...

• rlgallico Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 12, 2007
    3. Jul 12, 2007 10:46 AM (in response to cnaseer)

sure thing.  i'm in UT and we've got god awful air quality right now due to the high heat and wild fires.  i have a hard time running at any other time than late afternoon/evening, so i have to run on the treadmill if i want to breathe!

good luck - you'll find your stride, i'm sure.

• jinja Expert 42 posts since
    Jul 22, 2007
    4. Jul 25, 2007 9:20 PM (in response to cnaseer)

I am an outdoors runner, but had to resort to running on a treadmill this past winter due to work/kid related time issues.  I usually run at a 9.5 to 10 min mile pace during my training runs.  The treadmill was difficult to get used to and the settings were confusing at best.  After a few attempts, however, I began to figure out the calibration and in the long run, I was able to improve my 10K time by 4 minutes.  Stick with it and you will find that you can get a valuable workout with the treadmill.  One thing that I did that I believe helped improve my time, was to add 2 minute sprints into my run.  About every 10-15 minutes, I would up the tempo to a very fast run for about 2 min. and then go back to my comfort zone of about 9.5 min/mile.  This was something that I had not tried during my outdoors running.  I think that it made me faster. Keep at it and you will figure out what works best for you.  Good luck.

• treadmills Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 27, 2007
    5. Jul 27, 2007 4:37 PM (in response to cnaseer)

You should be more active on the treadmill. Most people make the mistake of letting the belt do the work.

do a web search for active treadmill running to find more information on the how to be more active instead of passive and the benefits.

• cuserunning Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 1, 2007
    6. Aug 1, 2007 2:54 PM (in response to treadmills)

I love running on a treadmill. It is much easier on the feet and knees. I put 122 miles on mine in July. I started running to lose weight in January then 252 and now 205, which is pretty good I think. I'm just getting started on the interval training and we'll see how that goes.

• TaraFernbacher Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 1, 2007
    7. Aug 1, 2007 6:22 PM (in response to cnaseer)

Are you training for a specific race ? Or general exercise ? If you are exercizing - just do what you can until it feels easy and than increase the speed gradually. In the meantime if you get bored vary the incline or speed for a short period of time. I completely understand about the heat & humidity but eventually you adapt - you just have to run smart - pay attention to your breathing / effort / liquid intake / sunscreen / etc - go easy in the adjustment period. It's always better to not risk an injury - they take a long time to recovery from -  I run on the treadmill with a window AC on a timer during the week and run outside on the weekends (weather permitting). I've been at it since Jan '07 and have steadily improved. The most important thing is to keep doing it - at any level !!!

• runbei Amateur 18 posts since
    Aug 1, 2007
    8. Aug 1, 2007 10:42 PM (in response to cnaseer)

Ran six months on a TM while injured - found I worked as hard but lost fitness compared to running outdoors.

One thing that helped was entertaining my head and heart - TM running can be deadly dull.

I remember a day when I was TM-ing and listening to Ladysmith - came to the "I love you, baby, baby I looove you..." track and my spirits soared - and my heart rate dropped 10 bpm! When the song was over, HR went back up 10 beats.

runbei

http://www.fitnessintuition.com

The Wisdom of the Heart

In Exercise and Sports Training

runbei
    http://www.fitnessintuition.com

The whole dang book's now onine

• ilovebullies Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 2, 2007
    9. Aug 2, 2007 1:32 AM (in response to cnaseer)

I have been running or rather I should say I started out walking in Aug of 2005. My oldest son was killed in Nov. 2004 and just two months before that I had just quit smoking of up to 3packs a day. I did not know how to deal with the quit smoking thing; action taken, I started eating. When my son died at a month before his 19th birthday I did not know how to handle this eighter; action taken, I started sleeping day and night except when only working. You can only quess what happened? For one I gained up to 190 lbs and lost sight of all my friends, and all the things I really loved doing, then just one day I decided I wanted to come back to the land of the liveing and bought a treadmill. I couldn't run on it at all. I started out just walking a 2 miles an hour. When I got to where my cough was more managable and disapering I started walking outside. I love it! It took me a year just to get to the running part and this year I started competing in 5k, 8k, and I will be doing an 11k trail race on Aug the 11th. When I train, even though it is hot, I have started slower and adapted to the hotter weather. I stay will hydrated, but I still love my old tredmill so one day a week or on rainy or extremly hot,hot weather I do treadmill spilts. I don't know if there is such a thing but I belive that it has helped me to place every race that I have atempted this year, with my very first race being 1st in my age group. I now weigh 123lbs and am finding I love running outside more and more, with my new love being for the trails as it is cooler in the hottest part of the day, as  this is when I mostly can run due to 2nd shift work schule. Running trails also helps me build leg strength needed for hilly courses that almost always pop up in the races I have done.

I am not an expert,but try this once a week on your treadmill.

For one, know your comfort zone. Mine is 7mph on the treadmill and with a friends help on the road is 8mph on the road. I have found that if I want to  place in a race, I need to do 10 mph just for a 7-8 min mile but am still going for a 6. So with that said here is what I do:

First warm-up good by doing 1 to 2 miles at your comfort zone.

Next do 1 mile starting at your comfort zone but after 2 min up the speed and hold for 2mins and without stoping the treadmill,backdown on the speed to your comfort zone again. Recover 1 min. and repeat up to 1mile.- for example comfort being 7mph go up to 7.5 and hold.

I do 5 to six of these 1 mile spilts.

mark times and speed each mile so you can match it or beat it.

PS---I am living again and am still smoke free and I very much love runing I just wish my son was here to do it with me. Drugs, inhalelents took him.

• dg12 Amateur 76 posts since
    Jul 12, 2007
    10. Jan 17, 2008 6:29 AM (in response to rlgallico)

i use lifefitness at my gym.

I love those

1.0 incline (they say a 1.0-2.0 incline mimics running outside.) The biggest difference between running outside and on the treadmill, in my opinion (and I've heard this elsewhere), is that the constantly moving belt makes it easier to run. You're not really propelling yourself, the belt is doing that for you, which is also why the incline is important. Of course, it also means you have to keep up with the pace.

I'd rather go with the real experts on this, Coe and Noakes. *http://mysite.verizon.net/jim2wr/id110.html  This is an old myth like the *

**cardio myth.  I run (2x a week) hilly runs (3-5 miles) and then run on the Life Fitness mills for 1 hr. sessions of threshhold and

speedwork for years. It has transferred really well to my maarathon training fitness provided I ran the last 2 months on mostly asphalt.

This is 1% incline thingy is an old myth like the cardio myth.

1) 1-2% increases the workload

2) heat becomes an issue unless you utilize a fan

3) sweat increases dehydration issue leading to exhaustion that is not near an issue outside

4) every incline angle stacks the intensity exponentially because an incline is an incline

5) the only time the belt does anything for you is in the support phase. In the landing and recovery phases your body

is exerting itself.

6) keeping yourself on the belt squarely is a little of a balancing exercise in itself

7) it's not wise trying to equate running speed outdoors to any indoor running, that's like trying to equate ellipticals with

speed walking. Apples and oranges

8) treadmills are amazing tools for 1 thing TRAINING EFFECT!

Use this phrase to Google for more, "The 1% Incline Treadmill Myth"

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...