Skip navigation

3070 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 15, 2006 1:37 PM by cavegirl RSS
arequilman Rookie 1 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 29, 2006 4:04 PM

Dizziness (equilibrium problem) when swimming

I get dizzy swimming, even in open water when the waves aren't even that big. It takes me a few minutes just to get my sense of direction and scares me a bit.  I'm not even going 50 m before it sets in!  If I do go into the ocean, I don't go to far off shore in case I get really dizzy as I do not want to drown out there (althought I have a buddy to keep an eye...by the way, he doesn't know either as we are both novices).  Any suggestions as this is starting to take a toll on motivation .  Thanks.

• jkenny5150 Legend 252 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. May 1, 2006 2:02 PM (in response to arequilman)
    Re: Dizziness (equilibrium problem) when swimming

Do you wear a tight cap or tight goggles?  I've had problems like that wearing goggles too tight over a long period of time.  After that, it could be a number of things.  It might be worth checking with a doctor if it's getting serious.

www.swimyourbest.com for all your swimming needs

20% coupon code: "openwater"

jkenny5150@gmail.com

• spinn_nic Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. May 8, 2006 9:04 AM (in response to arequilman)
    Re: deep water and track

I was a national level competitive swimmer for years. I recently got into triathlons and finsihed the Canadian Ironman last year. I actually felt similar when starting open water swimming. I found it beneficial when I was in Hawaii to swim in slightly deeper water, so that I was not pushed around too much by the waves. Also, tracking and object on the coast helps. You may want to lift your head out of the water slightly on your breaths to track. Hope that helps!

• cavegirl Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Jun 15, 2006 1:37 PM (in response to arequilman)
    Re: Dizziness (equilibrium problem) when swimming

I had the same problem. ENT told me it was the twisting motion along with losing sight of the horizon. Stay away from flip turns and sight the horizon as much as possible. Eat ginger as a homepathic to prevent naseau. If all else fails check with your MD about scopolmine patches.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...