Skip navigation

7326 Views 37 Replies Latest reply: Jan 15, 2009 4:16 AM by mstrang RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • yo-sal Pro 260 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jun 14, 2007 6:42 PM (in response to twosport)
    Re: Can't Lose Any $@#& Weight

two, do you have any symptoms that suggest something else could be at play? Like a rash or mouth ulcers? Are you tired a lot?

Have you been to the doctor to check your thyroid?  blood sugar?

Any medications?

I notice that you don't drink milk - does that cause digestive problems?

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    17. Jun 15, 2007 10:56 AM (in response to twosport)

Yea, I eat four or five meals a day (sometimes even six).  It keeps my metabolic rate high and makes sure my blood sugar levels don't dip low.  Not eating much during the day is going to slow down your metabolism and cause your body to readily store fat when you do eat those large late night meals.

• Ruhorserider Amateur 58 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    18. Jun 16, 2007 7:25 PM (in response to twosport)

Honestly, 9 to 12 miles a week isn't very much.  do you do something else?  Like lift or do other cardio?  it could help.

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    20. Jun 17, 2007 10:12 AM (in response to twosport)

I believe that 40-45 minutes of aerobic activity is the recommended duration for a more sustained fat burn.  Obviously you will get some benefits from shorter sessions, but I think you will see some real improvements if you can lengthen your workouts.

Good luck!

• ae1234 Amateur 29 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    21. Jun 19, 2007 11:09 PM (in response to twosport)

definitely, the longer the better. diet is going to hinder you if you don't eat the right things at the right times. but its not hard to learn the basics. also the more you vary your activities the more likely you'll be able to work out every day. a total body lifting routine is great for toning and fat burn, too. somedays, i like to go 20 minutes on an elliptical, 20 on a treadmill, 20 on a cycle, then maybe lift for 45 minutes. set aside and hour or two and just get your blood pumping and make your muscles burn, however you feel like doing it.

• infjspirit Amateur 10 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    22. Jun 28, 2007 6:51 AM (in response to twosport)

Running 12 miles a week won't produce many results at all.  I used to weigh 250lbs and smoked 2 packs a day.  I'm now 100 lbs lighter, no cigs, and an occasional glass of red wine.  But I run  60 miles a week (training for Chicago) and I eat all day.  I spend at least $100 a week on food for myself.  I suggest picking up the miles (40/wk is a good start) and eating healthy foods all day so that your metabolism coninues to fire away.  Also add in cross training.  I strength train 3 times a week and have produced amazing results.

• jinja Expert 42 posts since
    Jul 22, 2007
    23. Jul 26, 2007 8:58 PM (in response to twosport)

Being 54 you are most likely post menopause.  This probably has attributed more to your weight grief than your quitting smoking.  As I am nearing that stage in my life, I have had to up my workouts and really watch everything that I eat.  I exercise vigorously 6 days a week. I run about 20 miles per week, I bike about 45 miles per week, and I do cardio circuit training 3 times a week.  I consume about 2000 calories a day on average. I do this to maintain the same weight.  10 years ago, I got by with 1/2 the workout routine to maintain the same weight.  I think it is an unfortunate change that our bodies go through as we age.  Don't give up, and congratulations to you for no longer smoking.  I would increase your distance running and add some aerobic workouts with weights. Women lose muscle mass after 40, and muscle helps to metabolize fat.  By adding some weight training to your routine, you will increase your metabolism. I have been using Jillian Michaels: The Biggest Winner , shape up front & shape up back. It is a 2 DVD set.  The DVD's are designed to do on alternate days, but I do them back to back for a full hour workout at least twice a week.  I promise you will see a difference.  Also try not to focus so much on your weight, and focus on your overall health and how you feel, and remember that muscle weighs more than fat.  Good luck.

• lynx04 Rookie 7 posts since
    Jul 20, 2007
    24. Jul 30, 2007 11:42 PM (in response to twosport)

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS on quitting smoking.  I quit in 1996 and also have steadily gained weight since despite weight training 2x a week, participating in 3 triathlons, a half marathon and a whole bunch of 5 and 10ks.  A few weeks ago I joined Weight Watchers and for the first time in 11 years, the scale is finally going down (only 1 lb./week so far, but as long as the scale keeps going down I won't complain).   I really recommend that you give it a try, if for no other reason than their online food tracking system is incredibly easy and helpful.  

I also agree with upping your workouts.  In this month's Runner's World magazine someone asked how much to run in order to lose weight and the recommendation is 5 miles 4x/week.  I've been following this for the last few weeks also and I know it too has helped with my weight loss.  Good luck.  If you quit smoking you can beat this too.

• JHezlep Rookie 5 posts since
    Feb 18, 2008
    25. Feb 23, 2008 7:33 AM (in response to twosport)

500-1500 cal for dinner!! WOW

you prob only burn off 300 of those before you go to bed!

Eat 4-6 meals per day of equal calories. Eat your carbs early in the day and keep them minimal in the afternoon.

Drink alot of water

And if you want to really kick start you weightloss replace 2-3 meals with a whey protien shake.

YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT!

• livefree Pro 96 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    26. Mar 4, 2008 2:39 PM (in response to JHezlep)

I had the same thing happen to me around age 40. I seemed to gain weight around the middle every year and I just could not get it off. I went to the doctor and he said, "Exercise more and eat less." Duh!  What a genius. I had been doing that and nothing helped. I biked 17 miles to work every day, lifted weights, chopped wood and inline skated 20 miles on the weekends. What was wrong? I was eating according to the government food pyramid. That was probably my biggest mistake.

Then I found out about something called the "[Glycemic Index|http://www.glycemicindex.com/]." Google it for yourself and find out why there are certain foods that will spike your blood sugar higher than a bowl of Snicker's bars. Basically, that would be all the foods that are white (except for cauliflower). White bread, white bagels, white rice, white potatoes and some pasta's are what you have to watch out for. Sugary drinks like soda pop (diet or regular), Gatorade, fruit juice and such  can be just as bad.

So, what happens when you spike your blood sugars? It is like a roller coaster. Blood sugars operate best in a narrow range. When they get to high, your body protects itself by releasing something called "insulin." This brings your blood sugars back down. The problem is that they go out of the safe range again and go to low. This is the feeling that you get in the afternoon when you can't seem to keep your eyes open, you feel lethargic, can't think straight, etc. Your body protects itself again by producing adrenaline and cortisol to get your blood sugar back up. At the same time, the hunger pangs hit and you are craving another high glycemic meal which starts the process all over again. If this roller coaster ride goes on for too many years, your body becomes insensitive to it's own insulin which makes you insulin resistant. At that point, you develop something called Syndrome X or Metabolic Syndrome. When this happens, the glucose (sugar) that normally goes to your muscles to be burned up as fuel, now switches tracks and goes to be stored as fat. Now, you can count all the calories you want and exercise your #*%@ off and nothing will happen until you can find a way to get your glucose track shifted back to normal.

So, forget counting calories!  Go low glycemic!! Go to my blog for more information and see what I did that worked for me.

Why Diets Fail

You On A Diet . . . Again!

• livefree Pro 96 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    27. Aug 24, 2008 1:05 PM (in response to twosport)

I don't buy the "Burn more calories than you take in" theory. I know that we have heard this theory over and over again. If you repeat a lie often enough, it becomes accepted as the truth. When I was young, I could lose weight just by thinking about it. When I got older, it became more difficult. What is it that changed? Over the years, many people develop insulin resistance or Metabolic Syndrome. Your

body compensates by making more and more insulin. In turn, your muscles

begin to reject the glucose sent their way. Normally, 85 to 90% of all

the glucose produced after eating a meal goes to the muscle cells to be

either utilized for energy or stored as glycogen for immediate energy

reserve in the muscle. This means that only 10-15% of the glucose ends

up in our fat cells. If the insulin and glucagon levels are normal,

there is a nice balance of fat being produced and broken down, and no

weight gain occurs.

It Starts In The Muscle

When

insulin resistance develops, muscle cells start rejecting a majority of

the glucose following a meal and it is redirected to our fat cells. It

is like a train switching tracks and going in a different direction.

This is when the unexplained fat starts to develop around your middle

at an alarming rate.

You can exercise and starve yourself all you want. Unless

you can find a way to "reverse the tracks" on insulin resistance and

get back to normal, you simply will not be able to lose weight even

with the most aggressive diets.

Read more about it on my blog

Is Your Scale Broken?

• 5kRunner80 Rookie 3 posts since
    Nov 2, 2008
    28. Nov 2, 2008 3:16 PM (in response to twosport)

Eat more at breakfast then a little less at lunch and then have your dinner smaller than either one of your meals. Also try and up your mpw. Hope I helped. OH! and when you are cooking or having a carving stick a piece of gum in your mouth and also drink water like its air. :]

• 5kRunner80 Rookie 3 posts since
    Nov 2, 2008
    29. Nov 2, 2008 3:19 PM (in response to livefree)

how can you not believe burn more calories than you eat? its common sense??? **** its PROVEN!!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...